Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Honest Contributor

No brats allowed!

oh! finally a subject dear to my heart!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14136994/

Quote:
Eateries from California to Massachusetts have posted signs on doors and menus saying “We love children, especially when they are tucked in chairs and well behaved” or “Kids must use indoor voices.” In North Carolina an online petition was started last year to establish child-free restaurants — the petition loosely compared dining with children to dining with cigarette smoke.

In response to an MSNBC.com story about the controversy over pets in public places, some readers wrote in to say they'd much rather see a dog at dinner, the movies or the mall than little "cretins." Dogs are better behaved, they smell better and they're much cuter, wrote one reader.
it's about time somebody said it! dogs rock!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
it's about time somebody said it! dogs rock!

I agree. There's nothing worse than having to listen to a screaming kid throwing a temper tantrum.
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I am cursed with resaurants and kids!! I love kids, but seriously... when they are freaking out for an extremely prolonged period of time... get your food to go and head home. The kid is obviously not happy to be there anymore.... Just my opinion though.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:33 PM

I so agree!

When my son was younger if he acted up I would quickly remove him from the restaraunt and if he did not calm down, I would have our food wrapped up.

Yeah, it sucks as a parent having to just up and leave, however the sooner that the child realizes that this type of behavior will not be tollerated the sooner a parent will be able to visit a restaraunt with a well behaved child.

Children learn from past experiences and bribing children only teaches them that if they act up when mom or dad brings me out to such and such a place then I get rewarded...

Apparantly too many parents do not know the above so someone has to tell them that they have to leave... which then can end up in a confrontation between the parent and the servers in an even bigger comotion followed by stories of how people should never eat at such and such a place because they are so rude in there... lol!

This past December my family went to a high ticketed dinner show with a family style setting and there was a small child at the table, around 2 or 3, I did know but do not recall... At first my teen son was not happy as he thought it would be an ordeal but I told him to give them a chance that not everyone lets their children run wild... The parents were fabulous and got the child up a few times to walk around in the hall so the child would not get bored and absolutely no one heard a peep from him...
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesMom
When my son was younger if he acted up I would quickly remove him from the restaraunt and if he did not calm down, I would have our food wrapped up.

Yeah, it sucks as a parent having to just up and leave, however the sooner that the child realizes that this type of behavior will not be tollerated the sooner a parent will be able to visit a restaraunt with a well behaved child.

Thank you for being a considerate parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesMom
Children learn from past experiences and bribing children only teaches them that if they act up when mom or dad brings me out to such and such a place then I get rewarded...
LOL...that's kind of the same as teaching a puppy.
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Don't even get me started on parents bribing their kids to be good. It happened to me in June when my friend came to visit with her husband and their four and a half year old daughter. They spent their days at Disney and everyday before they left, daddy would say to her "let's keep this here" she would throw a temper tantrum and he would respond, "if we leave this here today, we'll buy you a toy at Disney". It took everything to hold back and say tell you @#$^#%&^% kid NO! You are the parent. You tell them what to do, it's not the other way around! You are the ALPHA! I can't wait to see what she turns out to be when she gets older. I have a feeling that eventually I'm not going to be able to stand being around my goddaughter because of the lack of leadership from her parents!
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Honest Contributor

so it's easier being parents to a furkid?

Old September 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Raising a puppy must be sooo much easier than raising a child . . . only a few months of adolescence versus a few YEARS! LOL!

I do think kids have become more unruly than they used to be. My mother, grandma, etc., had porcelain dolls. Obviously, a little girl would have to be extremely careful in order to keep a porcelain doll from breaking. One throw of the doll during a tantrum = broken doll. And the doll certainly wouldn't have been replaced if it had been broken . . . with such large families (seven kids in my mom's family) they could never had afforded that.

I'll bet a porcelain doll wouldn't last five minutes with a little girl today.
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:57 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1313
Raising a puppy must be sooo much easier than raising a child . . . only a few months of adolescence versus a few YEARS! LOL!

I do think kids have become more unruly than they used to be. My mother, grandma, etc., had porcelain dolls. Obviously, a little girl would have to be extremely careful in order to keep a porcelain doll from breaking. One throw of the doll during a tantrum = broken doll. And the doll certainly wouldn't have been replaced if it had been broken . . . with such large families (seven kids in my mom's family) they could never had afforded that.

I'll bet a porcelain doll wouldn't last five minutes with a little girl today.

Which little girl? My girl has a collection of extremely fragile blown glass figures and deco balls that she started collecting when she was about 4, not one is cracked, chipped or broken. There are good, respectful kids in our society today. I can name 4...mine...but I am getting a little sick of people assuming all kids are monsters and acting surprised when my kids behave like they know manners and rules!

I am proud of my kids and the way they act in public and respect their elders, but then again I am a 'mean mom' and have no desire to be my kids' buddy. I am their parent. If more parents were to parent first and wait until their kids are adults before you develop a friendship, our kids would be raised as well as we were.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I am proud of my kids and the way they act in public and respect their elders, but then again I am a 'mean mom' and have no desire to be my kids' buddy. I am their parent. If more parents were to parent first and wait until their kids are adults before you develop a friendship, our kids would be raised as well as we were.
Hail to Melei's Mom! you hit the nail on the head with that one... and your children are proof that this recipie WORKS. unfortunately, the advice parents get today (if any at all...) on how to manage their children is so far from what it used to be - back when children should be seen and not heard, for example - that it's producing masses of unbalanced kids who need boundaries but have no parents to set them PLUS throw in the new-age nanny (cable TV, videogames, computer...) and overworked parents who feel guilty for working so much so they compensate with material stuff... it's just not healthy.

yeah... parenting furkids is definitely easier!

Old September 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
The demons' servant

I don't know if anyone here has heard of "Foamy" the squirrel but he did a rant about it...let's see if I can find the link...

WARNING: There WILL be swearing in it...so if you don't like it don't click it! lol It is rather funny though...

http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html - top row, 2nd from the right (Restaurants)

He's got a point...and its rather right ...though a bit less swearing might be nice.

Megan
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melei'sMom
Which little girl? My girl has a collection of extremely fragile blown glass figures and deco balls that she started collecting when she was about 4, not one is cracked, chipped or broken. There are good, respectful kids in our society today. I can name 4...mine...but I am getting a little sick of people assuming all kids are monsters and acting surprised when my kids behave like they know manners and rules!

Both of mine have special breakables - that are not broken,out where little fingers can touch. We like the saying 'look with your eyes not your hands' when we are out and about, and to use 'inside voices' is a must.
I have to agree, once when I didn't have children (and sometimes now) if we are out and someones child is having a melt down, take them home be considerate to others. I also am a 'mean mom' and my children are only 4 & 2.5 but they have rules to follow and respect and are for the most part VERY well behaved, they WILL have respect for people in authority or have to suffer the wrath of mommy and daddy . If we are out and one has a melt down, we just pack up and go home, simple as that doesn't matter where we are or what we are doing, they(kids) have choices and consequences, and the same rules apply to everyone, does it suck? Sure does sometimes. ya gotta do what ya gotta do

Glad to hear I'm not the only 'mean mommy' out there

Last edited by LibbyP; September 15th, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyP
Glad to hear I'm not the only 'mean mommy' out there
Welcome to the 'mean mommy' club! I have to warn you though that it can be a lonely road. I remember one time, we where at a dr office and my oldest, about 3 at the time, just would not behave. So I made a new appt for the next day and had to drag him out of there, kicking and screaming. walking through the parking lot he was still screaming and fighting and I was holding his hand to get him to the car when this woman walks up to me and threatens to call social services because I am so mean. (insert my smart a** comment that I probably made here) She had a small child too, and I would love to meet that woman now to compare teens

I am considered very 'backward', mean, oldfashioned, etc in my parenting. my kids have chores, do not get an allowance (if they want money, they have to earn it) and I do not believe in praising every little thing they do and ignoring bad behavior. if they screw up, they know it and the praise comes when they deserve it only, otherwise it becomes meaningless.

I do not limit tv time, they have learned self control and besides, there are much better things to do! If they start something...a team, club etc, they have to finish it And if they don't clean their room, I will, and have thrown out everything on the floor. Every one of these rules has earned my variuos responses from teachers and other parents, and rarely are they good. But my kid is the quiet respectful one standing at my side and only speaking when addressed by an adult, not that little monster tearing around the room being a pain in the butt!

OK rant done!

Again, welcome to the club
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
-

Kudos to Melei'sMom LibbyP and ChancesMom

I hope your club expands !!!
Old September 16th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

The first thing I think when I hear one of those tantrum trowing kids do the 10 decibel scream is.............Hmmmmmmmmm birth control could have taken care of that problem.
Old September 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM

dtbmnec, that was funny- very sweary (esp at the end) but funny. Funny how the waitress picking her nose knocks off $3 from the bill and the screaming kid- $10..

Kids in grocery stores. I mean, seriously. On Saturday, when the store is LOADED to the point where people can barely move, don't give each kid a big cart.
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Whenever I see those screaming rampaging kids I always think how happy I am that they won't be coming home with me.

Having said that, I've been in situations where my kids weren't always great, not screaming or anything, but there are times where it's just not possible for them to be their usual awesome selves, like when we went to my aunt and uncles waaaaay up north and the car ride was making them cranky, and yet, we still had to eat, my mum has diabetes and if she doesn't eat at a regular time, at a nutritional restaraunt she can be dangerous on the road, if she were to eat at a fast food place chances are she could fall asleep at the wheel, too much sugar and fat, not enough of the good stuff, not good.

While close to home we barely ever take them to restaraunts, it's just not enjoyable for me and the hubby. Even the older kids aren't taken to fancy restaraunts, unless it's something special, mothers day or a close family birthday. When we do that we plan it very strategically, like we'll go early in the evening, just after the little ones wake up from their nap, so that they are hungry and not tired or cranky. We bring lots of things for them to do and my kids love to try different foods, so that helps, also, I don't stay for too long, we eat and give them dessert and we leave, no long drawn out meals where the parents are just sitting around talking, that can be saved for when we get home.

All of the waiters and waitresses we've ever had serve us have always commented on how well behaved my kids are, they're usually surprised when I tell them they are just two and that they're twins. Everyone always suspects double trouble, but I do my best to make sure that that isn't the case. I don't think I'm a mean parent, I just don't let my kids tell ME what to do.

I think there are a lot of people out there afraid of damaging their childrens emotional growth by being the tough parent, unfortunately, you can't have it both ways, either your the parent and you get the respect that you deserve, or your the mat that gets walked on. You can be sensitive to your childrens emotions without being treaded on, it's a delicate balance. There are a lot of people out there who didn't get hugged as a child and don't know how to deal with their kids because of little things like that. I was watching one of those nanny shows and the nanny is like, when you were a kid, did you like getting yelled at or hit? The parent was like, no, but that's all I know how to do, the nanny says, think about how that made you feel, now think about what it's doing to your family. It was like a light went on. Sad really.

Who's to say who's right or wrong, I don't mind the idea of adult only restaraunts, but I don't think that when you go into a family restaraunt that anyone should be surprised to find a pack of annoying kids either.

That was a lot longer than I wanted it to be.

BTW it's just my opinion.
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Tough parenting is hard, for sure. When I was young, if we ever put up a fight about anything in a restaurant or store, we were brought to the car and kiddie locked in, while the other sibs kept on doing whatever. If you didn't want to miss all the action by sitting in the car, you behaved. I'm pretty sure if anybody did that today, the cops would be the first ones called...

Funny because I really love cars and hate shopping.
Old September 16th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Kids in grocery stores. I mean, seriously. On Saturday, when the store is LOADED to the point where people can barely move, don't give each kid a big cart
WHY would anyone let that happen? yet... it's everywhere and when those kids start hitting their parents and throwing food on the floor and the parents just ignore them or open up a box of cookies to stuff the shrieking faces... boy if any of us would have daaaared to throw such a tantrum in public... well, the thought never even crossed our minds cuz yes, we got spanked when we misbehaved and yes, we respected and loved our parents and no, it didn't traumatize us for life! sheesh.

Old September 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM

Ok, EATING food in the grocery store is STEALING. It just is. Imagine what you're teaching your kids.
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:12 AM
-

Kids in grocery stores with carts my ex had a 3 yr old daughter,she used to looooove banging on my anckles with her cart I tried to find the 666 sign on her kneck,must have been elsewhere.....
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Step-Ma? Is that you?
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:48 AM
-

I swear she was so by the time she would have been 5,would have probably kill me in my sleep!
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:54 AM

lol We're a bunch of child-lovers here, aren't we?
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:58 AM
-

I like kids but only the ones who behaves! There's not too much of them out there...some of the things my 10 yr old niece tells her mother she would never act like that in front of me,she knows I would vote for a spanking ! I can't believe she talks to her mom that way,what's it going to be at 16 yr old
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:59 AM

I know what you mean- I was on the hudson ferry once and there was a woman in a jeep in front of us and her kid was standing on the passenger seat punching her in the head. I would have alpha rolled that ****** so fast he couldn't even know what hit him.
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm here to hand in my membership dues for the "mean mommy" club.

My kids were taught from the earliest that they were to stay in their seats in a restaurant, keep still in a movie, not speak out loud or wiggle in church.

I remember going places with a neighbor when my kids were small and those kids were allowed to run wild. We'd go to a department store and her kids were running around, pawing at the mirrors, disappearing under racks and into dressing rooms. And my kids were not allowed to walk away from me.

Then we would go to a fast food place and her kids had to go to the bathroom 20 times and would sit on the back of the booth which had to be so much fun for the person on the other side of that booth.

Mine were expected to stay in their seats and learn some manners--even if we were dining out of a cardboard box. Maybe I'm strange but I don't think my lapse birth control use should interfere with other people enjoying their lunch.

It makes me nuts when I go to church and there's a ten year old sitting on the floor eating cheerios, slurping on a juice box, running to the bathroom 4 times and launching paper airplanes. If my puppy can hold it for an hour so should your child. Ok, maybe they won't be mesmerized by the sermon but they can read and color quietly while sitting still. It really won't damage their little psyche and they won't starve to death either.

We took our kids to see The Nutcracker when they were 3 and 6 and they didn't make a peep or move a muscle. But they had been coached ad nauseum and knew that a grown up night out was a privelege and they soaked it in.

Yes I'm bragging !!!! But those little hooligans around the corner are now irresponsible adults causing their mother all kinds of grief because they never learned any control, and mine are wonderful young adults and I'm very proud of them ! (Can you be banned from the boards for being an obnoxious bragging mom? ) But I can really get up on my soapbox over this. Why don't people think they have to curtail their kids impulses? I was in a pizza place a few months ago and the child behind me leaned over the back of the booth and spit out her chewed up pizza all over the seat next to me. I had just moved my pocketbook or it would have been filled with pre digested take out !!
Old September 17th, 2006, 09:00 AM

You ladies crack me right up LOL , my kids have NEVER pulled anything off the shelves, if there's just me shopping with both, they both sit in the cart, Not on the end in it, if two of us, one sit in a stroller, I even take my daycare kids shopping that's how good they are, each take a side of the cart and away we go I do have to agree that my nieces do not act the same at my house as they do at home, I DON'T take their crap,(their both 5) and papillonmama you do belong in the club - there's different degree's in mean I love my kids and I'm very proud of how they act, but I will not let them run me into the ground.

the only time we have ever 'opened' anything is a box of kleenex, trust me it was a must and I had brought some with me but ran out I felt awful, but I wasn't going to walk through the store with drippy noses
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
-

Wahoo...two more members in the "mean mommy club".

Welcome to papillonmama and joeysmama.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I don't stay for too long, we eat and give them dessert and we leave, no long drawn out meals where the parents are just sitting around talking, that can be saved for when we get home
I think this is really smart !! I love when parents are considerate of their kids and don't push them past their endurance. And as time goes on and the kids get older they'll be able to last longer and longer. In the meantime you're teaching them great social skills.

Quote:
I don't think I'm a mean parent, I just don't let my kids tell ME what to do.

I think there are a lot of people out there afraid of damaging their childrens emotional growth by being the tough parent, unfortunately, you can't have it both ways, either your the parent and you get the respect that you deserve, or your the mat that gets walked on. You can be sensitive to your childrens emotions without being treaded on, it's a delicate balance
I don't think you're a mean parent either. Just a really good conscientious one !!