Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Trying to think of new idea for litter boxes

Some of you that have read some of what I have posted, may know I try to think of different and hopefully creative ideas. My newest is to come up with a better litter box idea.

Currently, the three boxes are in our laundry room....small, small space. I was looking for other's ideas on the internet to stack or store them differently....give a little floor space back. No luck yet.

My problem is the room is so tiny, the boxes barely fit between the wall, shelf and the washer/dryer.

I was thinking about stacking them on a wire shelf - big enough to hold the cats and the box. One could still be on the floor, to accomodate my elder cat Cody.

Any one else heard of or seen another option?

If I try a shelf/cart I will post pics whether it actually works or not.

Take care,
Diane
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

wow, 22 have viewed and no comments yet.... am I doomed with this idea?
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

HI, the views were probably the lurkers, I knowtrying to steal your ideas..I don't have any Cats so cannot help you but wanted to let you know that someone is here.

would'nt the cats spread the litter all over the place? keep experimenting you will find something to help with your litter boxes. pbp
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
Swift Tribe

im thinking, can you get me the measurements of the space you have to work with? maybe draw up a little 'paint' with simple lines?? or even a snapshot of the area?? Chris and i have talked about how we can take our very small litter box area and maximize it. i have a few ideas but it will take a saw and some creativity. but on a light note, you can use the saw at HomeDepot or some other store like that.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Do you have a cubby hole/crawl/storage place under the stairs? Like a little nook to put them in?

I don't know much about cats comforts when going. But do they 'like' to go up high or down on the ground? If you did make the stacking or shelf like thing for the boxes would they feel safe going to the w/r up high?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I think your shelf idea sounds like it might work best. You'd have to just make sure it's secure so it doesn't tip over. You know, you've inspired me to think of something better for my bathroom too. I keep their big box in my bathroom, but they track so much litter. Maybe if I raise it, and have little steps going up, the steps will catch the litter. Hmmmm
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Swift Tribe

we have ours in the coat closet when you first walk in the door. our plans were to use big rubbermaid bins with the tops chopped off and a walking in cut made on the front. havent figured out how to take the edge off from where we cut it. maybe a little hand welder? i recall seeign something at walmart... from there we plan on making a shelf actually on the top of it. if the floor bins walls are 15" or more we can set the board on top of that and put one more on top of that one but with the hole to get in cut into the side where there there is a ledge next to it. it will leave only three litter boxes here but they will be very large ones. we also have one upstairs in the bathroom between the kids room and we should upgrade that to an xlarge rubbermaid big cut in the same way as the down stairs ones. i wonder if applying heat would allow us to bend them a little?? one of these days we will get around to doing the switch.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here are some great ideas!!

http://unclutterer.com/2007/09/25/sl...ty-litter-box/
I really love these ones they make a very nice peice of furniture http://www.catsplay.com/kitty_condos.php3

These are quite pricey, I'm sure if your handy, and you go to home depot, you could buy a cupboard, and make your own little cat door in the side.

I use a Huge rubbermaid tote, I leave the lid on, but cut a kitty door on the side. (I have to have a high box, as one of my guys pees standing up

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; January 22nd, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Here are some great ideas!!

http://unclutterer.com/2007/09/25/sl...ty-litter-box/
I really love these ones they make a very nice peice of furniture http://www.catsplay.com/kitty_condos.php3

These are quite pricey, I'm sure if your handy, and you go to home depot, you could buy a cupboard, and make your own little cat door in the side.

I use a Huge rubbermaid tote, I leave the lid on, but cut a kitty door on the side. (I have to have a high box, as one of my guys pees standing up
I've got the one in the first link. It's nice, and I like that it's like a piece of furniture, but It's not very big. You can't put in a really large litter box. I've been thinking about something similar but maybe using a bigger piece of furniture. I saw once an aquarium table that would have been easily adapted.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Devoted Kitty Slave :D

wow i really loved that all in one litter box holder, play place feeding area thing in the second link sooo cool .. too expensive lol .. wish i was rich .. tho i think most of it would go to my kittys haha ... as for ur problem .. i think there would be a really big chance of the litter box tipping and falling if u put them on shelves .. maybe put some kind of railing on the side?? , would one big litter box work if u were to costumize i piece of furniture ?? u could use the top as a table then too ... i think if u own ur place u could maybe cut into a wall so that the boxes just slide in ?? just make sure u close off the sides or u may have kittys wandering on the insides of the walls lol ... hope that u can maybe use one of my ideas ... thanx for starting this post ive been wondering how to hide my litter box away so that its not so obvious ,, now i have some ideas
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks so much to all of you for your great suggestions so far! Keep em coming. I checked in a few times from work (don't tell my boss) to see if anyone had good ideas yet. Didn't have a chance to write earlier today.

To answer a few questions and make a few comments, pbpatti - thanks so much for posting even if you had no suggestions. Made me feel good that you did.

ash/want4rain, a simple drawing of the space will be at the bottom of this post, and a pic or two of how it is now.

luba, I sure wish I had a nook like you mentioned, but don't.

ancientgirl, a shelf is still one of my ideas, more of a cart/or shelf unit with shelves I could turn upside down to have a "lip". A pic to be included with this or next post.

happycats, those are great sites, but I really, really want to try to keep these nasty little boxes in one area - as often as they are cleaned, I still don't want one in my bedroom or living room to get a good sniff when one of the many decide they gotta go LOL. Those are very clever. I've seen some even more pricey than those.

kit1469, one long litter box was an idea my roomie had, but I want to at least try to get them out of my walking space. I hate having to step over and on them to get to my laundry LOL

Now, I will post my room diagram and photos.

More to come in the next post or two.

Diane
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

first one here is another pic of the area
second is the cat door that is also in the way....to keep the dogs from getting kitty tootsie rolls. maybe a vertical storage idea could eliminate it also.
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh boy, you really DON'T have much room there.

The way it looks, the shelf idea is probably your best bet.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Now for a few things I thought I might try. This picture shows a cart with 3 shelves, I want a 2-shelf one. This was a better picture. These carts have brakes on the wheels, the shelves can be positioned in 1 inch crements, so if I do this the first litter box would sit on the floor, and then the shelves positioned to fit. I would also turn the shelves upside down, to make use of the little "lip" on the underside.

All the sites I found these carts on, also have stationary shelves. I am considering a shelf instead, but the cart being mobile would make cleaning up easier. Still thinking....

Another idea I have had it to remove the cabinet I have opposite the dryer, and just use a longer/wider wire shelf for the litter boxes and storage.

Good? Bad? more suggestions. And, I need suggestions on how to set up something temporary to see if they will climb - before I buy something like this. When Cody was younger, he and his sister Sassy had to jump up on the dryer to go....kept past dogs out of the boxes. Cody can't do that now.

Keep the ideas coming....I love to hear other's ideas.

Diane
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

here's an idea, you can make something like these then stack them (staggered) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KHPQ02/...2&linkCode=asn

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks happycats, another neat one - got any Amazon gift certificates I can use?

Diane
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM

hmm.. definately a small space lol .. i dont really no .. maybe a built up kitty litter storage box thingy like the one they had in the second link posted ( catsplay i think it was called??) except instead of hididng huts kitty box places?? a little expesive but u sound creative enough im sure u could make one
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks again to all for the ideas.

I have a plan....we'll see if it works. I will post "after" pics if it does, and a woe story if it doesn't. The items I ordered won't be here til sometime next week.

In the meantime, we've put one of the litter boxes on the washer/dryer to make sure kitties will climb to go....so far so good on that.

More to come next week....but still would love to hear more ideas if anyone has them.

Diane
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM

heres an idea... the blue squares are pull out drawers .. good luck with ur idea hope this helps if it dosent work
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

ok Kit, where to the drawers go? Not sure I follow you idea. Thanks for it though.

Diane
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:03 AM

the drawers would pull out the side (the blue squares ) if u made them deep enough and treated them right + using litter box liners it should work out..
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Would it be possible to get your bookcase/shelving unit thingy out of there and store that stuff in cupboards up above the washer/dryer? The boxes would still be under foot, but maybe you could at least line them up against that wall.

Definitely keep us updated. I'm interested to see how the cats will deal with stacked boxes! I may steal your idea if it works!
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1469 View Post
the drawers would pull out the side (the blue squares ) if u made them deep enough and treated them right + using litter box liners it should work out..
I see what you mean - not really far off from what I am going to try. I should have the items in maybe this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
Would it be possible to get your bookcase/shelving unit thingy out of there and store that stuff in cupboards up above the washer/dryer? The boxes would still be under foot, but maybe you could at least line them up against that wall.

Definitely keep us updated. I'm interested to see how the cats will deal with stacked boxes! I may steal your idea if it works!
I thought about moving that cabinet out, but already have shelves above the washer and dryer - and they are full.

I will keep you posted - success or failure of my idea.

Thanks again to all.
Diane
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What if you took the shelving OUT and anchored cubbies on the ceiling to put your things in, then you'd have more room below to make something for the litter boxes, you really are crammed in there arne't ya
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks again to all who have offered some great suggestions.

Here's a picture of what I am going to try, first.

While I wait for my shelves to arrive, I "drew" up what I plan to put in that back corner of the laundry room.

Hopefully later this week, or at worst early next week I will post actual pictures, (if the shelf units get here) and a verdict on whether it is working or not.

Thanks again,
Diane
Attached Images

Old January 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM

looks great cant wait to see if it works
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Update - got the shelves in, assembled and in place. So far we've seen three of the cats checking it out.

The doors don't close all the way with the size litter boxes we have, so we've left them open for now. Decided to still use the barrier/partition with the cat door in it, but moved it between the dryer and the washer. Not sure if we need it - to keep the dogs out of the litter treats

Time will tell now, will post in a few days on success or failure.

Diane
Attached Images

Old January 31st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Looks great!! but I think "someone" is mistaking it for a bed

Old January 31st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

lol so true, that is Stanley - liking his triple deck bunk beds
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc123 View Post
lol so true, that is Stanley - liking his triple deck bunk beds

LOL sweet Stanley