Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Soloxine - Thyroid Med

Hi, My 10 yrs old chessie has been on Soloxine for approx. 5 yrs. now. Last year his dosage was increased from .3mg. twice a day to .6mg. twice a day.
Just took him to the vet for blood work to check thyroid and when weighed, went from 102 lbs. 4 mos. ago to 82 lbs.(he is a vary large chessie and not over-weight even at 102 lbs.) He is also drinks a lot of water. I am taking him in to the vet tomorrow for full blood work. I was wondering if the increase in dosage could cause such a weight loss? Has any one had a similiar problem with thyroid meds? His eats all his food, so its not a matter of not eating.
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We recently doubled Cass's dose of thyroid meds with no symptoms of hyperthyroidism resulting. She's about 45 lbs and went from .2 mg twice daily to .4 mg twice daily. We use Pala-Tech, a chewable. As I understand it, dogs can clear an excess of thyroid meds fairly easily and aren't very likely to show signs of hyperthyroidism.

I hope the blood panel gives you some answers tomorrow I know how worrying an unexplained weightloss can be

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Even at .6mg twice a day, that's a pretty low dose for a large dog. My 84 lb dog gets .7mg twice a day, and he is still low thyroid.

The increase in thyroid meds could cause some weight loss, but that seems like an awful lot, I would not expect all of that from the thyroid meds.
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Thank you for your post, I know I'm grasping at straws trying to see the best case senerio. Just hoping its not the big "c".
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Be sure to also check for tick diseases - weight loss is pretty common with some of the non-lyme diseases.

I sure hope it's not the big "c" either