Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Question should we pack up the crate?

milo has been exceptional when it comes to crateing. he actually goes to his crate when it's bedtime all on his own.

we really don't have any problems with him being distructive when we are not in the house and he's left out (we have left for about 15-30 minutes on several occasions as a trial) i think all he does is look for the cats (i caught him snooping around for them once).

other than chewing a slipper or mitten that is laying around, he is quite aware that he is not allowed to chew things (and looks at you quite pittifully when he enters the room with it, almost as though he's saying "couldn't help myself...please take it from me.") and we are thinking that he may be ready to ditch the crateing during the day when we're out at work.

what is a good indicator that pups are ready to leave the crate for good? or is there any rule of thumb?
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Great question!
I really don't have an answer for you
but I'd love to hear what others have to say as I expect to be going through this myself in the not so distant future.
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

The crate for some dogs is actually considered their den and provides them with comfort and security. Beyond what many think - the crate is not a 'bad' thing. Some dogs always want to have the crate accessible while others really do not care whether it is there for them or not.

I would not completely remove the crate at this point because your pup is still in the chew stage. Also, the time interval must be gradually lengthened to the point where you can safely see that he is not soiling nor chewing certain items.

While he is in training mode I would not be in a rush to remove the crate. Also, it is important to puppy proof your home so that he does not swallow those socks which could result in a blockage if digested.

So there really is no rule for when to remove the crate. All dogs are different as we as humans are. It really depends on when he and you are ready. Please keep in mind - accidents still do happen...
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Ours have been crate trained and we haven't used the crate for years. We let them roam around free in the house. But we still have the odd crate laying around the house (as we always have fosters in and out) we leave the door open and Leia loves to go in and have quiet time in the crate. She actually really loves the crate.

BenMax is right.....alot of dogs like the security of the den they get from the crate. I suspect Leia likes to get away from the 2 rowdy boys when they get playing sometimes it gets CRAZY!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm a softy

I would suggest keeping the crate, or at least a ex pen. If he does chew something when you are gone it will just re enforce it because there will be no consequences. The crate is not bad, its home Could also be dangerous if he got into something when you are not there. Good Luck! My lab was 2 1/2 when I started leaving her out alone, that is when I could fully trust that she would not get into anything or have any accidents. Also if he pees it will make it harder as he will pee in the house all the time when you are gone, wait until you have no question as to what will happen when he is all alone, then everyone will be safe and worry free. Slowly build up the time that he is alone by 30 minutes a time if possible. Good luck!!
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM

milo's crate is deffinately his den... he spends time in it during the day sleeping on the weekends. i don't want to take it away from him, just thought that he may be ready to avoid 'jailtime' during the day.

this time during the day is actually when the kitties are free to roam without fear of milo wanting to sniff them...think we'll keep the schedual for everyones happiness.

thanks for the comments and advice
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM

IMO....I would keep the crate....Buster is going on 3 yrs old and as long as I remember to "puppy proof" the house, I am sure he would be fine running loose. But I know he is a barker and if he is loose and someone walks by the house, he will bark....and that will greatly annoy my neighbour

So, when I got out, I simply say...Buster in your house....and he goes into his crate (with treats of course). He LOVES his house....and I know he is safe.

Sometimes I would love to let him roam free, but he doesn't seem to mind staying in his house....

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I agree with BenMax.my boy is crate trained and is 31/2.and he goes to his crate to lay down or get away from the kids or if we have other dogs around and wants a break.