Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Swift Tribe

USA East Coast Whole Rabbit

where do you order yours from? there are plenty of places to get just the meat and bones but im having a hard time finding organs and heads. (gawd)

-ashley
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried Hare Today?
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Swift Tribe

COOL! thanks! i say that earlier and couldnt figure out why www.haretoday.com didnt work!!
-ashley
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

As someone who lost a bunny and is still mourning him, I am not even goin gto comment on this, sigh!!
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Swift Tribe

mourning is never a time for practicality. your poor guy. im sorry.

-ashley
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
As someone who lost a bunny and is still mourning him, I am not even goin gto comment on this, sigh!!
I know what you mean! I had rabbits when I was a kid which I loved dearly (they make awesome pets), and there are also some wild ones that hang around my yard that I really enjoy watching, so I'm actually quite relieved that my cat doesn't like rabbit meat.

Sorry about your bunny. I'm sure he had a great life with you.
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks- Unfortunately, I think of him every time I see anyone mentioning rabbit meat. I don;'t think I will ever get over him - I deal with death often in my work so I now too much about grief - and all their stages. It all well and good academically but is tougher when it is your bunny or cat or dog or patient who is 2 or 4 or 17 who dies!

I do know people eat rabbit meat - I just find that difficult now, once having had a domesticated rabbit as my best bud! I have many on my woodlot too and while I know they will never live as long as him, they love to chase me or for me to chase them - even on the 4 wheeler. They are so funny, lol (He was at one point the oldest in the country tho I never took any action to verify it - I just knew he was older than the one listed in Guinness Book of record and who knows there may have been an older guy. <g> I just LOVE bunnies!

It is amazing how you notice little things that never bothered me before - like rabbit meat. I realize I cannot make people stop nor should I since I myself am not a vegetarian but eat only chicken and fish. (Granted, people with lobsters for a pet probably are not too happy with me. I actually know someone who has a pet lobster named Hector and I try not to talk about how much i enjoy lobster when she is there - and in the Maritimes, that is tough! Plus, I have a neighbour near our summer place who fishes lobster!

I probably could never feed rabbit to my cats tho I admittedly do feed them lobster!! <g> (She does not frequent this site so I can talk about that here) She gets soooo upset when I mention it that I no longer discuss it in front of her. So I will try to understand the needs of others and not be judgmental and thank you in advance for understanding!! I saw a skinned rabbit for sale once at a Provigo in Quebec and cannot bring myself to ever go in that store again! I wish they would have wrapped the meat up - they know people have bunnies as pets and consider them part of the family. It was so insensitive! It actually looked like a skinned cat or rabbit so it was just an awful way to display meat!

Actually, rabbit meat is sometimes called Acadian stew around here because it was eaten by people who could not afford chicken during the depression. Even then you know - I don't think I could have eaten it - whether it was a big Cottontale or a dwarf Netherland like mine (He would not have made lunch for anyone, he was a tiny little guy!) I miss him so much!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by CyberKitten; June 30th, 2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: I need to learn to type or spell, lol
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM
Swift Tribe

octopus and squid. i just cant do them. i keep fish, eat fish... keep shrimp, think they TASTE bad but otherwise have no issues with EATING them... but octopus are just too smart for me to justify eating them.

-ashley
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM

A few years ago my (very big) cat managed to catch a rabbit somewhere in the garden.

As the rabbit was as large as the cat, the only way the cat was able to do something with it was to drag the rabbit by an ear, backwards with the rabbit jumping forwards from time to time, until both were inside the house.

Then the cat let the rabbit go in the living room and went back outside.

Quite a job then to catch the rabbit jumping everywhere in the house (of course the animal didn't want to go outside through the same door he went in).

Some people passing-by in the street were somehow wondering what I was doing releasing a rabbit on the front lawn.
http://www.puppy-dog-breeds.com
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh the word pictures I'm seeing in my mind! LOL!