Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 15th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Neorological problems with 14 year Maltese

Hello I am new here

I have a 14 year old Maltese who is the love of my life.

Over a year ago she started showing symptoms of a lazy rear leg. I first noticed that she was very hesitant going up stairs and walking on the hardwood or tile. When she did attemtp to walk on the hardwood, her leg would give out on her so she just started laying on the carpet near the edge of the hardwood and not even bother. After a week of monitoring it I took her in to see the vet.

He noticed that her one rear paw was showing little response to stimulation. I had told him that when she was outside doing her business, I noticed that her reart paw would bend in the oppposite direction and she did not seem to have pain (now we all know how much pain we would be in if we attempt to bend our foot in the opposite direction).....she was walking that way!!!!

We quickly got in to the vet hospital where the first string of X-Rays were done. They saw dark shading around her 7th or 8th neron and said it may be cancer and recommended a tissue biospy. We thought about it for a week and although it was a difficult decision we thought we owed it to her to find out cause what if it's not cancer. Our struggle was not the cost (over $5,000.00), it was putting her through such an extensive surgery at 12 and a half years old. She has been such a good friend since 6 weeks old and has never cost me much of anything.

We had the surgery and the tissue sample was sent off to US for testing. She had here back opened up and was stapled from upper mid back to tail (poor thing). Recover was difficult for us all, but her pain medication helped her. Results came back cancer free and she was diagnosed with inflamation of the nerons. I felt horrible as I would have thought surely they could have detected this without putting her through surgery....they told me not.

She she was put on a high dosage of steriods for nine months and I slowly weaned her off of them and we waited. She took her last steriod in December 2007.

A few weeks ago we noticed here rear leg getting weak again and showing signs of hesitation on the stairs. I have put her back on steriods now and it's been over a week. I don't see a difference yet. She sleeps most of the day (well I mean she is 14 now so what else does a dog do)? She is eating and doing her business outside as normal. She will even attempt to play with our little 3 year old (who loves here dearly), but her back leg shows too much sign of weakness and I stop her.

I know there is nothing more I can do for her and I don't ever want her to suffer. This just makes me tear up badly as I know my time is limited with my little girl.

Anybody else experience this. I have heard that there is a name for this called Wobblers syndrome.

Not many people understand, but I know here that you all do.

Thanks for listening to our story.
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry your girl is having troubles. Have you discussed options with the vet--maybe putting her on a low dose of steroids again to keep her comfortable? Steroids aren't good for long-term use because of the side effects, but if there's nothing more that they can do for her, maybe it would be worth it.

It's never easy, is it, kel_seewhite. We love them so much and we never get enough time with them.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I understand wht you are going through

I will say a prayer for your angel. As Hazelrunpack suggested, perhaps the steroids will help.
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry you are going through this - I know exactly how it feels. I would do as suggested and ask vet about low-dose steroids. For the moment your pup does not appear to be in any pain. You can help by carrying puppy as much as possible (make it appear to be cuddling) and making 100% sure that there is no chance whatsover of getting too close to stairs. When you sit on the couch, lift up the pup, same with bed - they don't like to feel left out. When you pup begins to show signs of pain - there will be pressure on the spinal nerves, I am afraid you will have to make the very difficult decision - and try to maintain a happy face as you take your pup to the vet. You do not want your pup to suffer and you may find that you will need to act fast if the pain sets in - please do not hesitate as it will make it very difficult for you to pick up your dog without causing further pain. Also watch for any sign of paralysis spreading to both legs - you can slo do the "trip the foot" test on the good legs to check for recovery. My dogs didn't suffer from Wobblers - mine had Dachchund disc disease - my friend's Weim is currently suffering from Wobbler's and it is difficult because he is a very large Weim. At least with the physically small dogs we can pick them up. I am very happy for you and your pup though that you have enjoyed 14 wonderful years together. You sound as if you are preparing yourself for the end and I hate to agree with you, but you are right. Another thing, please be careful with your child as if your pup begins to experience pain when touched some snapping is likely - your dog would just be reacting naturally - not intending to cause harm. We had to carry one of our guys in the four corners of the bed sheet to the vets the pain came on so suddently. Please let us know what your vet says.