Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Closed Thread

Old November 11th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I also explained that I dont own a car and work late that was not an option I kept him as long as I could. Bottom line you had no solution and I didnt see you offering to take him.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Mastifflover, you have no need to exlain yourself. Please don't feel that you have to do so.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that doesn't make what you did wrong. Weither people agree with it or not it's not their place to lay blame and insinuate that you should have done different. Hind site is always 20/20 right?!?

If there's something that you can do - knowing the people that work at the shelter and all - LL1, by all means why don't you do something?
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I totally agree with you Mastiff. There are so many nice lovely dogs that are put down everyday we should not keep the biters. LL how would you feel if you adopted that dog out and he bite somebodies kids face.

I for one have a huge problem with bad temperment and am stuck with a ****er i got from the states for a sick kid for that reason. I cannot find him a home as he is a unpredictable nipper.

He doesn't like cats kids and in not good with most dogs. I can't find him a home and am now thinking of PTS.

I feel that is better than taking a risk that he bite a child.

We all love these guys but know biters are a huge liability that i for one don't want
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Mastiff, I think most of us understand what you went through to come to that decision, and where you're coming from. Don't feel you have to explain yourself, I'm sure you feel bad enough as it is, and given the circumstances, made the best possible decision for your options. I think the fact that you adopted the dog from a rescue that had given up on George is testament to what point it was with him.

I won't reiterate my point, as I made it in a previous post.

Now, I'm going for ice cream...
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

A muzzle and a cab ride to the vet for euthanasia would have been an option, many people do not have cars.

Other options would have been:

contacting Joan Weston - she rescues Bulldogs and is also a dog trainer

Contact all breed rescues, some of them would be ok with a bite history, particularly when the history of the dog would be told

No unfortunately I would not take the dog, I run a purebred rescue and unfortunately it is not for Bulldogs

Work with a trainer with the dog in your own home, keep the dog safe when in public by doing what alot of people will have to do if Bill 132 goes through, muzzle the dog in public. Limit the number of guests to your home and when needed utilize a crate, extra bedroom with a nice treat, or a muzzle. Alot of people do this.
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I missed this part - when a dog is in quarantine in TAS the dogs are not handled by staff, other than with a dog stick or catch pole. They also are not allowed outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukieboy
alone in a cage in a noisy shelter....what? no staff at the shelter to interact with the dog? ok, so the animals are left alone in the cages making noise
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Well for your information George was not stuck in his cage and played with the staff and I was not going to buy a muzzle that would be of no use to me I do not have money to throw away you have access to all these things. You know what I am not explaining myself to you because you think that you are obviously better and know more. But where were you with these suggestions before and I love people who condem you when you werent doing anything but knocking everything I have done sitting behind your computer telling me what I have done wrong. I would say more but Marko would kill me and I care what he thinks. Oh and by the way I live in a loft there is not rooms other than a very small bathroom
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

LL1 I just think you should leave it alone now. Its not fair to someone who tried their best. Not your best. If you didn't help this dog then you have no right to come down on someone who tried at the very least their best they could do.
They rescued this dog regardless, tried to give them a home but unfortunantly it caused 9 stiches to a friend. If they didn't call the animal control officers the friend could of and George would have ended up with the same fate. Either way this dog is human aggressive and unpredictable.

If we could we would save all animals but unfortunantly there are way too many of them to waste resources on a unpredicatble biter.
Just my thoughts.....
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Mastiff

Mastiff, clear your messages, your box is full.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

cleared it out
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Good Lord, we're still on this?? This thread should have been closed a long time ago... Is there a reason that we're making Mastifflover sit through this bashing still??

Opinions are opinons, but when you're deliberatly trying to hurt someone's feelings is that no considered bashing? Are people not banned for bashing on this board anymore?

This is a very hurtful and unrequired thread now. What is this proving other than making a responsible owner feel like a bag of crap. Even if your opinion differs you have no right to sit here and belittle a person for theirs. It's very childish and immature to sit there after the fact stating how your way would have been better.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:26 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Poor George and Mastifflover! I briefly read this thread and I don't see what is wrong with giving someone a little compassion when they are in distress! If Mastifflover didn't give a s**t about George, then why would she go through the hassle of explaining the situation and how to handle George when she was dropping him off at the shelter?? If she was an uncaring person she would have tied him up to a pole and left him for someone else to find him. With all this crap about the ban and all, people who work with animals should be very aware of how they are interacting with an animal's owner or foster mom!

Kindness can fulfill your life more than rudeness.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I have not bashed anyone, belittled anyone, and am not trying to hurt anyone. You have called me childish and immature, I have not insulted anyone. I was offering an opinion and saying options that are/were available. The options are still available as she could reclaim the dog if he is still alive. I am happy to make calls for her if she'd like and see what can be done. Not agreeing with someone does not mean someone is bashing.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

LL1, I know you only mean good here.. Mastifflover already feels a huge weight of sadness with this issue; with you're persisting that she should do something different, that her opinion was not good enough - that's really hard to take.

I'm sorry my last post was so inflammed, I just get emotional when people insist on telling someone that they should do different, after the fact. She has done what she thinks is the right decision, and if we don't agree with it then fine, but sitting here insisting that she's failed and should do something else increasing the pain and it's not necessary. IMO. Sorry my last post was so harsh. I just hope you understand where I was coming from...

If you feel that this dog should be given ANOTHER chance, why don't you make arrangements to get him out and then get him to the rescues that your'e talking about. As many here believe, this dog is an unprovoked bitter and unfortunately should be dealt with.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
I have not bashed anyone, belittled anyone, and am not trying to hurt anyone. You have called me childish and immature, I have not insulted anyone. I was offering an opinion and saying options that are/were available. The options are still available as she could reclaim the dog if he is still alive. I am happy to make calls for her if she'd like and see what can be done. Not agreeing with someone does not mean someone is bashing.
While you may be happy to make calls if she "would like" I think she has made what she "would like" pretty clear. I think your persistance on this issue is a little heartless. If you feel so strongly about it or your friend that works for animal services, than maybe you should adopt the dog.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

He is not available for adoption, if she releases him and allows that, I can try and help. It's ok Sammie, no need to apologize.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Ice cream...anyone?
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Ice cream...anyone?

LMFAO!! You're funny!!
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This thread had definitely run its course.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread