Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:14 PM

Newbie with Shedding Question

FYI...this is my first post, so I apologize for the mini-novel! I'm owned by a mixed breed pup that I rescued from the city Animal Shelter back in March. They listed her as a Beagle mix. Well, she's currently 10 months old and running about 45lbs!!!

We're always trying to guess what she really is. Her coloring is all Doberman / Rottweiler. She's sweet as pie, so I've leaned to a Dobie / Beagle mix. But her coat is real odd. Underneath that black hair, she's grows a second, shorter coat of all whitish-beige hair. She's got her pics posted on my dad's site....http://www.mustangone.com/granddog2/

Anyway...on to my question.

Harley sheds like crazy ALL the time. She seems to be on some sort of odd cycle, because she'll slow down a bit for a week or so and then be losing hair like crazy again. She also apparently sheds both coats, because I find the white hairs all over my dark furniture, and black hairs all over the light floors.

Her background health history is a long story, but summarized, she had demodectic mange when I adopted her which I'm happy to say is now gone. She's very flea allergic, so I'm super serious about in keeping her on Frontline. Also, no fleas in the house so I don't think its that.

I've looked through related threads here about excessive shedding, and I've done most of what's been recommended. I originally had her on Iams when I thought that was good food (obviously not), and transitioned her about three months ago to Nutro Natural Choice puppy food. I've also supplemented her food with Linatone for Omega 3 and 6. These have helped (she's not losing hair in clumps anymore and her coat is shiny now), but she still sheds chronically.

Is there anything else I can possibly do to reduce the shedding?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Suprisingly, it could still be the food. When Layla (my dog) was on Nutro Natural choice, she shed like crazy, to the point that many of my friends refused to come over to my place. When I switched her to Wellness, her shedding was cut at least in half.
Also, how often are you brushing her? The more you brush her, the less she will shed.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Puppyluv, I agree. I changed the diets for both dog and cats from your ordinary grocery store brand to wellness and what a difference. I wish someone would have told me about Wellness before I mortgaged my house to buy a very $$$$$ vacumn cleaner.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:40 PM

I have been brushing her every couple of days. I recently changed from a bristle brush to a metal-pinned slicker brush, and that seemed to help a bit. After reading some of the older posts here, I just went out and bought a shedding comb in the hopes for some improvement.

I might have to try changing the food. *SIGH* I thought Nutro was supposed to be one of the best out there. I don't think they care Wellness at PetSmart. Any ideas who would commonly care that brand? I'm evening having problems finding a site for it on the web.

Also, the vet had Harley on Atarax to help with the itching she had after he first diagnosed her with flea allergies. I can't really remember for sure, but she might have had less shedding when she was on the meds. The vet said I could take her off of it when she stopped itching, which she has, but now I wonder if I shouldn't test it again to see if that helps.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
-

I would have guessed Rottweiller x. This would explain the double coat and the eyes really look like one. The life cycle of the hair is short so the hair will grow to its max length and fall out and she will shed heavily twice a year, spring and fall. The slicker is good for all over brushing, the thinning comb is the one with alternating length of pins, tall and short. It is good for thinning out the undercoat, use it with a scooping action. You may also want to pick up a shedding blade. Use this with short strokes down the body. A combination of these a good food and possibly a supplement like missing link will be helpful in controlling the excessive shedding.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM

Thanks StaceyB!

She probably could be Rottie...the hair was one of the things that didn't make sense to me either with the Dobie route. Although, I've searched on the web and seen several so-called Dobie-Beagle mixes that look just like her. I haven't tried the Rottie x...guess I'll do that next!

I've only had her for 6 mos., so I guess I'm still trying to pinpoint when she's seasonally shedding. And the Florida weather doesn't make it any easier. I would assume seasonal shedding is triggered by changes in the weather, but honestly, we're still running in the mid-eighties here.

If she's just shedding normally now, I am TERRIFIED to see what's she's going to be like when she has seasonal fallout!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is the Wellness Website:
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/
It should have a list of distributors
Another high-end line is Solid Gold
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

Petsmart probably doesn't carry either of them, you usually find them at smaller "high-end" pet stores.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGurl372
I've only had her for 6 mos., so I guess I'm still trying to pinpoint when she's seasonally shedding.
If she's just shedding normally now, I am TERRIFIED to see what's she's going to be like when she has seasonal fallout!
LOL as many of us like to say "my dog sheds twice a year, for 6 months each time"
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

When I got my dog, her shedding was so bad that if I just touched her, a cloud of hair would fly around.

Now she eats Wellness, and her coat is very tight and glossy and shedding is minimal.

I also use a rubber hound brush to groom her. Works great!

Harley is adorable. I agree with Dobie/Hound (Beagle?) CUTE!!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

I say Lab /Beagle. He's too small to be a rottie or dobie mix. 45lbs is a bit smaller than a lab and a bit bigger than a beagle. The markings are also very beagley- there are the white paws and chest, and the bi-colored ears. The undercoat and smaller floppy ears would be from the lab too (AND the SHEDDING!!). Oh, and the tail is beagley too. JMO

I would change the food first, definitely. Depending on what you can afford, of course, there are some really great foods to try. Check out the food forum (we tend to repeat brands over and over and over).
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Owned by goldens

I vote for Beagle with maybe some doberman in there.
Really doesn't matter as long as he is a good dog. At 10 months he could be losing his puppy coat. Hunter had a major shed from about 10 months to about 14 months. It was unbelievable. During that time I also switched his food to Solid Gold and added Omega 3 to his diet. He still sheds but it is very manageable and I can wear black again.
Nutro is a medium quality food in my opinion. I see you live in Florida. Do you have a Petco? If so you can look into the Natural Balance Food made by Dick Van Patten. It has great ingredients.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM

That is one lovely Manchester Beagle!! LOL

I vote for a Manchester Terrier X Beagle... She doesn't have the body to be Dobie Or Rotti...But, very pretty none the less.
As for the shedding, yes, a food change might be in order...as you've already switched to Nutro Natural Choice (been on atleast 3 months) and seen no improvement.
Wellness might help. The only other suggestion I have is to add Flax Seed Oil to her diet, and get a 'hounds glove' for grooming on a daily basis.
It's like a rubber mit with little nubs on it, you put it on a pet away She'll love it....and you'll find alot less hair around the house..

Good Luck
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Owned by goldens

Shedding

I still say doberman. He has the coloring.
As for flax seed oil many dogs gets itchy when they take this so if you notice he begins scratching discontinue using it. I switched my guy to Omega 3 instead.
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjranch
I vote for a Manchester Terrier X Beagle... She doesn't have the body to be Dobie Or Rotti...
One problem with a Manchester x Beagle....her size! She's 10mos old and already running at 45 lbs. That puts her well above the standard for either breed!

I'll definitely look at the food forum, and I'll look into trying to find Wellness here in town. I saw great improvements in her just going from Iams to Nutro.

As for brushes, it's hilarious....Harley has more "beauty" tools than I do!
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:30 AM
-

A daily vacuum can help to get rid of the loose hairs.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Unfortunately, she's not a big fan of the vacuum. Won't let it get too close to her when I'm doing the floors.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM

I feed Molly Wellness, and I was told by the cashier at Pet Supplies Plus that Wellness doesn't sell their food in chain stores. Try looking in a smaller store. And Wellness is great, by the way.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

What a pretty girl!

Another good food choice is Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul...I feed Tucker the puppy formula. Here's the site, they have a retailer locator on it.

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I'll have to look around. So far, the only thing I've come across locally is Solid Gold, Royal Canin and Natural Balance. Based on what I've read in the food forum, I'd have to lean towards at least trying out Solid Gold, if I can't find a local Wellness dealer.
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Hoorah! Found a store less than TWO MINUTES from my home that carries both Wellness and Solid Gold, as well as Chicken Soup, Innova, Natural Balance, Royal Canine, Eagle, and Canidae!!!

Now, how to decide??? As this conversation is going to take a hard turn into the "food forum" realm, I'm opening a thread in that forum to continue this.

Please join me over there!!
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....539#post182539
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:00 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

first off, ADORABLE pup Congrats too on rescuing from a shelter, however that very part of her background may also have some bearing on her shedding now. I've got 2 rescue dogs, one full pointer and one Shepherd mix, both of which shed unheavenly amounts of hair for the first 8 months they were home with me. My vet chalked it up to the adjustment period from being at the shelter and that they were both still trying to get their bearings and wits about them. My pointer had demodectic mange as well when he was found, but was cleared up before I got him. As others have pointed out here, diet is critical when it comes to coat and skin health, however stress too plays an important role. Once my two finally realized that car rides meant fun time and that they had a permanent home, some of the shedding subsided, but puppyluv's right

good luck!