Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM

City of Toronto Shelters

Hurray!

City of Toronto appears to have reversed its decision not to adopt out the pitbulls it picks up or are turned in. They are posting them for adoption once again on thier Animal Services site.

Last edited by Dukieboy; November 9th, 2004 at 01:00 PM. Reason: link doesn;t work
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:15 PM

AND...reported in the Toronto Globe & Mail today: The Toronto Humane Society will be appealing the ruling that "Bandit", the PB/labX that inflicted bites requiring over 200 stitches to 3 year old Daniel Collins face in August 2003, be destroyed by November 15.

I'm hoping THS isn't just giving Bryant more ammo and further inflaming an already volatile situation for all dog owners in this province.
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

If Bandit is the one I'm thinking of, my wife was watching the news and THS was refusing to let anyone near the dog because he was so friendly, and they did not want anything to happen to him. Apparently, in the background on the report, you could see him playing happily with one of the workers.
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I personally think that he is getting backed into a corner and is being challenged by the media. I think now is the time to start inudating him and his cronies again with anti ban emails. Do you think the media would have been aware of all of these things if it was not for people like us who are constantly emailing media, MPP's and anyone else who we think can help. I think we should take the last day as a sign that maybe all of this is starting to pay off, good thing we are persistent. I meant to email MB.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
I personally think that he is getting backed into a corner and is being challenged by the media. I think now is the time to start inudating him and his cronies again with anti ban emails. Do you think the media would have been aware of all of these things if it was not for people like us who are constantly emailing media, MPP's and anyone else who we think can help. I think we should take the last day as a sign that maybe all of this is starting to pay off, good thing we are persistent. I meant to email MB.
Good point. And we have six days before the next debate! By the way, anyone know how to find out the exact date for the debates? If you look on the schedule, it seems to just put it on, and leave it there until it actually happens.
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM
banned user

Unhappy I think that THS is proving animal welfare grps Can't be trusted

to do the right thing.

I don't care what's being said now about Bandit (nor do I trust it either). Vets on staff with THS, long time staffers, & others all came to the conclusion that Bandit could Not be re-habbed. (Are you sure that's why the dog is under wraps, & away from public contact?-He's So sweet & playful?) When these people's opinion's didn't match with what THS Wanted to hear...Out they were put. It's sounds a lot like M.B. to me...

I don't think this dog will ever be trustworthy around children. And offhand, I can't think of a single place that he could spend the rest of his life where there will be Absolutley No Children -Ever.

And it makes us look like hypocrits! Punish the Deed, not the Breed? It looks from here like Nobody ever gets punished for anything, & we can't solve the problem of unsafe dogs by doing unproven 'Re-Hab' & hoping it takes this time.
This was Bandit's second bite on a child. His first serious one,- but it was his 2nd. bite.
I don't even think this is fair to Bandit. What kind of a life is he living? (Off camera, I mean?) Poor dog is just a means to an end. :sad:
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll be honest, I don't know the story, so I really don't have an opinion. My understanding that the authorities were coming down harder because he is part pit, not because of the bite. But again, this is from a 5 second conversation that was mentioned to me in passing.
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeeter
to do the right thing.

I don't care what's being said now about Bandit (nor do I trust it either). Vets on staff with THS, long time staffers, & others all came to the conclusion that Bandit could Not be re-habbed. (Are you sure that's why the dog is under wraps, & away from public contact?-He's So sweet & playful?) When these people's opinion's didn't match with what THS Wanted to hear...Out they were put. It's sounds a lot like M.B. to me...

I don't think this dog will ever be trustworthy around children. And offhand, I can't think of a single place that he could spend the rest of his life where there will be Absolutley No Children -Ever.

And it makes us look like hypocrits! Punish the Deed, not the Breed? It looks from here like Nobody ever gets punished for anything, & we can't solve the problem of unsafe dogs by doing unproven 'Re-Hab' & hoping it takes this time.
This was Bandit's second bite on a child. His first serious one,- but it was his 2nd. bite.
I don't even think this is fair to Bandit. What kind of a life is he living? (Off camera, I mean?) Poor dog is just a means to an end. :sad:

Good post. I agree.

IMHO Not all dogs can be re-habbed, some will always be unsafe, they are animals with inherently aggressive tendencies that no training will fix.

HS's that think they rehab a vicious dog aren't realistic or fair to the dogs or future victims. Sometimes euthanasia is the only way to assure no more attacks will happen, regardless of breed.

Children ARE more important and valuable than dogs. period.

HS's that are no kill are presenting a negative image of irresponsibility to the public that only hinders fighting breed bans.
Closed Thread