Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM

Possible trainer in Jeonju

Hey Moontamara,

Glad things are working out well...I just wanted you to know that I might have found a trainer here in Jeonju of all places (the sticks of Korea for anyone not familiar). The guys from the pet store I go to know him. If you're interested in finding a trainer in Seoul or Daejeon, I'll ask him if he knows anyone. I haven't met the trainer yet and I'm a little hesitant as I have no idea what ideas he might have about training dogs but, if you want, I'll let you know how it goes.

For everyone else....just a quick question....okay, actually a detailed question. I will check out this trainer to see what he's all about. Keeping in mind that we don't speak the same language (my fiancee will translate), what visible cues should I look for in a good trainer?

I don't want to take my loved ones to doggy boot camp but I also want someone who'll be effective in teaching my guys some of the finer points of acceptable behavior (walking politely on a leash and jumping on people come to mind). I've accepted the fact that I will never be a great dog trainer and that possibly getting a professional might be ideal. Any thoughts?
Old November 21st, 2004, 11:02 PM

I would have to say, any training that involves harsh corrections (ie. yanking on the leash, hitting, etc...) should be avoided. It's kind of hard to say, since the culture is so different we don't really know what to expect. I, for one would be very interested in hearing about your experiences with a professional trainer in Korea, so please keep us posted. Good luck!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Don't think you can't be a good trainer - that's silly. All you need is love and good boundary setting. You all ready love your dogs so now it's really about learning to be a good leader and everyone can do that.
That's what Tenderfoot is all about - teaching people to be great leaders. Because it's really all about teaching you how to be clear and consistent. If you can earn your dogs respect then most of the battle is won. You don't earn it by being mean, but through simple and clear communication.
Besure that your trainer is teaching you and explaining everything they are doing. The goal is to send you on your way with new skills and better understanding.
If you don't feel good in your gut about what the trainer is doing or teaching you then move on. Never permit your dog to become frightened or hurt - just walk away.
Good luck!
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Closed Thread