Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old December 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Albino Rat

Hello!

I currently have a 2 year old albino pet rat. She is slightly overweight and I assume due to her age and lack of pigmentation that she is blind.

During the last week I have noticed what appears to be a very small amount of dried blood in the corner of her right eye, in the same place that a human tear duct would be.

Is this something that should be brought to the attention of a Veterinarian or would it possibly be safe to wait a few days and observe the eye?

Thank you very much for any responses.

-KB3MGR
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Given her age and the fact that it's already been a week, it's probably best to get her in for a check sooner rather than later. Does the eye seem to be bothering her otherwise?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the reply!

No, her eye does not seem to bother her. She is acting completely normal and is not showing any signs of pain.

I have done a little more research online and it appears that some breeds of rat have tears that naturally have a red/maroon color to them, so that may be the case.

Another website states that a possible cause is an infection in the area of the eye.

I'll wait until monday and if any more issues arise or if the discharge continues then it will be time for a checkup! I'll have to make an appointment and hope for the best, the vet nearest to me does not seem to have a lot of experience with rodents and made that clear to me with a previous rat that I had taken in, but my hope is that he will at least be able to determine if further action should be taken.

Thanks again!

-KB3MGR