Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy Crap!!! This is unreal!! Geez, hardwood floors vs. my little tiny puppy living in a garage -- which do I find more important??? So when you had your kids did you just leave them in their car seat in the garage overnight and pray for the best?!?!

Training a puppy takes time, love, compassion, respect, knowlegde, and...did I say LOVE!!!? Frig, if I was that poopr puppy locked in the garage, I would do more that crap on the cold, depressing concrete... please tell me that you've provided a bed for the little baby...

As for hardwood floors....well, as many people here have said, I too have hardwood floor and a crazy hyper 8 month pitbull and a cat (that is not declawed) that insist on chasing each other around...I would never even THINK of trading that in for a friggin floor.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koni
As for what LitlePru said, is that the same kind of thing it says on puppy training pads? Or instead of making the dog smell it, you just place him/her on the mat?
Yeah, either thing works. But if you put the dog on the mat after its gone, the puppy can get confused. I read in an article that if you put the poo on the mat, it will get the picture I've never tried this and don't know if it works.

As for what was said about being outdated and treating the dog like a child: It's a DOG. Yes, you love it and treat it well. Yes, you have fun with it and it will be a great companion to you, but it IS NOT a child. It is the bottom of the tottem pole.
My family has been training dogs for eight years now and we have used this method every time. The outcome is a wonderful companion.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What type of dogs do you train Littlepru and what for?

Quote:
It is the bottom of the tottem pole
So the dog is an 'it' now huh? And you train dogs....I wouldn't want you training a pet rock!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My family has been training dogs for eight years now and we have used this method every time
IF they have been training dogs all this time, don't you think it would be advisable to update their methods? Anyone knows that ABUSE is not necessary to train a dog. Why do you think it is?

If your family is using this cruel and primitive method, they should have any license they have revoked.

A puppy should be so punished when doing something he doesn't know is undesirable?? If a puppy has an accident in the house, you should roll up a newspaper and hit yourself, or stick you OWN nose in the mess, because it's YOUR fault.

Please educate yourself.
Housetraining puppies
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:31 PM

Message for Little Pru:

Quote:
It's a DOG. Yes, you love it and treat it well. Yes, you have fun with it and it will be a great companion to you, but it IS NOT a child.
I think the point that was being made here is that like a child, a puppy can not always hold itself. You have to teach it where to go, and it takes time for the puppy to learn this. Months sometimes. But punishing the puppy for peeing or pooping where you don't want him too is unecessary. It's harder to teach a pup where to go than a child because for a child it will always be the potty, but for the puppy, it can be any surface, sometimes it's ok to go on grass, sometimes on some hard surfaces. A puppy does not know the difference between pavement and concrete, so if you don't want him to go on the concrete floor of the garage but he can go on the pavement in your driveway (for example) you have to have patience to teach him - without punishment. And you have to admit, a puppy pad could feel like a carpet (which is off limits), if you were a puppy.

My point is puppies have to learn more, and are expected to learn faster than children.

Of course dogs may not be children to you, but they are to some people. My dog is my baby and I love him more than life itself. I'm young and I might have children later on in life, but some people are unable to have children and their pets ARE their children, so you might have offended many people - unconcioulsy I assume.

As a trainer I hope you one day understand this - because it's a very important part of understanding the true relationship your clients will have with their pets!

I am not a trainer myself, but I have been to two training organisations with my dogs and none of them ever used any form of violence of force on my dogs. You might consider changing your method because even if you say it works (and for the sake of discussion I will not argue this), you might lose some clients that are against it.

Thanks for listening.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
and treating the dog like a child: It's a DOG. Yes, you love it and treat it well. Yes, you have fun with it and it will be a great companion to you, but it IS NOT a child. It is the bottom of the tottem pole
Maybe you should reevaluate your priorities in life? And correct me if I'm wrong I thought that Amoebas were the bottom of the totem pole?

Your family has a sad outlook on how you treat your pets, and if you want a great companion that you can treat well, get a friend! That said.... Pets should be a part of your family not the "Lowest thing on the totem pole" backwards thinking like that is the reason this world suffers so much.
I try not to judge but it is very hard not to when you read things like this.
But it makes me sad to say that by thinking this way you are very selfish!

This animal gives you unconditional love and over looks all of the flaws that you may have as a human being. It does not judge you or think you are fat or not pretty enough. It accepts you just the way that you are, even when you have a bad day and yell for no reason, Your pet will still love you and need you when you feel that nobody else does........ And all you have to say is that it is on the bottom of the totem pole.
Did you ever stop to think that your pet should be on the TOP of the totem pole for all that it gives to you and doesn't recieve in return?

I know that I thank whoever may be in charge of the Heavens every night, to be so fortunate as to have these special creatures choose me to grace with their understanding, compassionate and loving presence.
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Did you ever stop to think that your pet should be on the TOP of the totem pole for all that it gives to you and doesn't recieve in return?

GREAT SENTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I can't wait to hear the responses from this individual...and I'm still waiting to find out what 'type' of training!
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Thanks heidi, I was just so angry with this person . I'm with you on that one Luba, like to gear the pathetic excuses that this person has, we probably won't ever get a reply though.
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Some people can't allow themselves to believe dogs and cats have feelings or even feel pain. If they acknowledge it, they couldn't live with the knowledge of how they treat them.
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:50 AM

fanaticism is truly sickening

Okay so I may be a little late in replying to this message it has been a few years since the last post but it really irritated me so I had to post.
I would first like to say why are all these psychotic people in here all worked up about anyways? Animals were created to live outside to begin with, not inside. There is not problem with outside dogs, as long as they get attention , feed properly and have proper housing there is no problem. I don’t like my dogs messing up my carpet and areas of the house they are confined to a hallway with gates and before that a crate most of the day, due to the fact that one of them wouldnt go potty outside only on the carpet, so I had no choice but to confine his destructive behavior. Yes of course you want to preserve your home not let it get junked up by animals!
I think this animal right fanaticism is truly sickening.
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Scarletmom,Yes you are late...my advice to you is simple,do not get an animal,aquariums are wonderful to look at no messy carpets,no hair,perfect for you
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
Educate me please. Why does someone want an "outdoor" dog? What is the use of having a pet if it can't be with you and enjoy your company and feel like part of the family? I honestly don't get it.
Ditto It breaks my heart to think of a tiny puppy all alone in a scary, cold garage at night.