Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wanted to update on this. I ended up cancelling that appointment for a reason I cant remember now. Then I kinda forgot about it.

His new appointment is this thursday at 2:30. When I brought him in for his 'seizure' the vet was already looking at his teeth but this apptment is specifically to go over what she thinks the problem is/ what we can do/ does he need cleaning etc. We might also pick up some vitamins for him.

Hope it goes well Ill ask about the oxy fresh.

Btw, his gums are just as red and inflamed now.:sad:

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck. Hopefully he doesn't have any serious issues.

I need to take Czari in to get her teeth cleaned. She's got some issues, but man every time I have the money something comes up! I need to do it though, I can't let it get really serious.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks AG.

This teeth business is scary because its just so darn expensive. I hope czari isnt as bad as you think. Do you think she would like raw chicken necks? She probably would be the most likely to enjoy them given she was a stray. Maybe itll help clean her teeth a bit before you go to the vet.

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Thanks AG.

This teeth business is scary because its just so darn expensive. I hope czari isnt as bad as you think. Do you think she would like raw chicken necks? She probably would be the most likely to enjoy them given she was a stray. Maybe itll help clean her teeth a bit before you go to the vet.
I hope it isn't bad either. Poor girl is already missing some front teeth.:sad: This weekend I'm going to look for some chicken backs or ribs or necks. I know she does love raw chicken, so I'll see if she'll be interested in the bones.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

awww poor girl.

The chicken backs I just picked up were in the meat section. Next to all the trays of chicken parts there were trays of just giblets and then trays of just backs.

Pretty cheap. I got a tray of 5 lg backs with lots of chicken on them for $1.07

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster,gingivitis often leads to bad teeth,like my Vinnie has,2 are going to be pulled and after that I'll see if something can be done about his gingivitis.
Rocky and Chico have never had their teeth cleaned and they are 13 and 12 yrs old still have good teeth,but Vinnie at 7yrs old has a bad mouth,had his teeth cleaned not to long ago,but it did not help his gingivitis,it was still there:sad:
I wonder if there is anything you can rub on his gums to help get rid of it???
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, my vet has something called Biotene. It comes in a liquid you put in their water and it also comes as a gel you rub on their gums. I use the liquid a few times a week, since if I tried to rub it on Czari's gums, I'd be pulling back a stump.

Onster, I'm going to look in the poultry section at the market then. I've never looked for them since I never thought about giving to them, so they may very well have them here like that as well.

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's A-G,I am bringing Vinnie on Tuesday for his pre-op bloodtest and I'll ask him then.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Im retyping this cuz i accidently closed the browser :sad:

Chico good luck with vinnie next week

Bunduk has in infection in his mouth/loads of bacteria. He's on 250 mg Metronadiazole (21 tablets 1 a day until done). Vet suspected FIV/Leukemia and ran tests...waited 10 minutes for results but thankfully negative. *happy dance*

She said I have to brush his teeth. I have toothpaste called enzadent to try out.

She talked about dental kibble. I asked instead bout raw, what were her feelings on it? She said she feeds her guys raw!! surprised me for sure. Told me she wouldnt feed raw without supplements. I asked about giving chicken neck she told me only if he's only on raw not to give him raw when he's on kibble/canned as well cuz it may mess up nutrient balance. Vet tech came in to explain the whole teeth brushing/ food switch. SHe told me *not* to feed bone...cats wont digest bone theyll just poop it out. When I asked bout chicken necks she means not if theres any vertebrae! Do you mean the trachea?? At this point i was confused. She also said if I feed raw I have to be extra carefull bout the teeth which wasnt really what Id gone over with the vet. Vet came back in later after tech left and I asked to clarify could I give them chicken necks she said yes...told her what vet tech said she apologised said the tech obviously wasnt listening to her cuz she told her to tell me it was ok to give them bones to gnaw on. Said the tech didnt study homeopathy like she did.

So that's that. I am 279.89 poorer but hopefully the antibiotics will help and ill be able to brush his teeth.

Though I bought the instincts supplement for raw 68.95 for 600g of it!! I dont think ill switch right away. Ill finish off their kibble first.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster, I'm glad Bunduk was negative. That's great.

What does that Instinct supplement look like? There are so many out there. I'd like to try giving my gang raw now and then, or even cooked food, but I'm looking over the supplements. I found one from Wysong, but was looking at others.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I havent opened it yet but its basically a big bag of powder. My vet uses it herself. They tell you to mix a certain amount of meat (of your choice), liver and the supplement and that's all. You dont have to grind the meat either. My vet says personally she uses organic chicken.

Heres a product review on about cats

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/gr/instinctstc.htm

I didnt buy it in a jar/tub just a bag like food is in.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Found the official site

http://felineinstincts.ca/

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. I think I may have seen that one before. Good to know your vet uses it.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM

What a great shot! It does look like a cavity but I did some research and cats don't get cavities like humans. Here is an excerpt from http://bizcats.blogs.com/catlines/20...ts_get_ca.html I hope it helps!

According to board certified veterinary dentist Dr. Jan Bellows in Weston, Fla., cats get tooth cavities but they are not the same as those in people.

In people, cavities are caused by bacteria that eat through the enamel and erode sensitive dentin. Outward-in.

Cat-cavities, also referred to as neck lesions, are properly termed feline resorptive lesions, called RLs. "They were originally called "neck" lesions because
they most often occur at the "neck" of the tooth, which is where the body (root) meets the head (crown)," explains Dr. Veronika Kiklevich, a veterinarian
practicing dentistry in San Antonio, Texas. "The tooth is a little thinner there just naturally."

Unlike human cavities, cat ones originate from the inside of the tooth and move outward. Inward-out. Also feline RLs do not come from eating too much cotton
candy or drinking too much soda pop. One thing they do have in common with human cavities is pain.

"Of course, as these lesions erode closer to and finally into the pulp, the pain is not just pain," says Kiklevich, "it is the mother of all pain! Pulp
exposure, or even near pulp exposure, as with a cavity, will get most people screaming at their dentist for help right away.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

your welcome AG

Thanks so much smithduke. I actually had realized it was jus tsomething stuck in his tooth. He unfortunately still has the redness/gingivitis going and hes on antibiotics now.

The cavities thing is really interesting..I always thought all species with teeth could get cavities the same way humane do.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the new protocol takes care of his gums, onster! And I'm so glad the FIV/Leukenia test was negative! Whew!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM

I was surprised also about cavities in cats. Glad it was just something in his tooth and nothing worse. Good job seeing his gums were red and taking him to the vet! You're a good cat friend!!! There are, unfortunately, people who don't recognize subtle signs in their cats health. You are obviously "in tune" with Bunduk. Hope all is well and he recovers!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow a vet who feeds their cat raw . I would be keeping this one. I don't use a supplement as I weigh out all my ingredients I use in the raw so I am pretty confident it is OK for them (I use the recipe in catinfo.org). Also, I do give my cats canned (Instinct) along with their raw and I have had no issues with their poops. In fact, they are much less stinkier than when they were on cat food alone.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

L4H I know!! I mentioned the raw thinking she'd bite my head off!! lol ok not so cuz shes sweet but at least tell me that I was crazy. When she asked what I fed them and I said wellness canned and dry she had no problems either..she never tries to push vet food.

I love her, she fusses over my kitties too which makes me beam of course. They have a new vet at their practice too which ive been to a few times but he's very impersonal when dealing with the cats. Very business like.

I like for my kitties to get a pat from the vet you know! not just all needles and prodding. Not to say the other vet is bad just....i dont like his bedside manner you could say. My vet also worked at a cat only clinic in toronto for 6 yrs so i always rather her look at my cats since I think she has more feline specific experience.

Im sure you do fine without supplementing - just look how healthy your kitties are! Maybe she is worried her clients wont measure properly? I dunno.

Smithduke Thanks...I actually waited a few months before taking him in so I wasnt the best. But I did get him in and Im trying now to keep on top of his dental hygiene. I tried brushing his teeth yesterday..umm yeah. Definately gonna be tricky. I'm also dreading pilling him for 3 weeks! but hopefully all the redness will go away and itll be worth it.

HRP I hope so too! ANd yes the negative was a huge relief. My vet was excited to tell me the news

Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM

onster, I give my cats pills by getting a little bit of cream cheese and surround the pill with it. Then I will wrap the cream cheese with some ham or roast beef. It works every time because the cream cheese tastes great but it's sticky enough to prevent them from spitting the pill out...at least most of the time. Of course, the smaller the pill, the better. Switch the meat so he doesn't get bored. I know ham isn't the best but for the little bit you give him, I don't think it will hurt. My feeling is the medication is the more important than a little bit of sodium. You can also get low sodium products. I sometimes got loks (spelling?) with cream cheese at our local bagel place. They really love that!!!

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates