Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Question Are people on crack?????

Why do they do the following things at dog parks:
- let their pit bull run around while they watch from inside the car, until someone yells at them to get the hell out and watch their dog?
- leave their dog's crap everywhere? Seriously, the place is crawling with free plastic bags and garbage cans
- think its' funny that their dog stole some other dog's toy and they never bothered to teach it to drop, so they have to spend 20 mins chasing the dog to get it back?
- not train their dogs to 'drop'? grr
- take their dog on a leash and wonder why their dog gets aggressive around unleashed dogs
- bring tiny puppies who have not received all their shots to the park, where who knows what is floating around?

Whew, just had to get that off my chest. I know the answer, some poeple just are not very bright.

Nite all,

Happy walking!
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Some of many reasons why I don't go and will never go to a dog park.

Cindy
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Some of many reasons why I don't go and will never go to a dog park.

Cindy
Ditto. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:38 AM
border collie mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
- let their pit bull run around while they watch from inside the car, until someone yells at them to get the hell out and watch their dog?

Whats wrong with pit bulls being at the aprk do you mean you just have a problem with people who sit in their car and dont watch their dogs or just pit bulls?
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I too was wondering why just pit bulls?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM

I go to a wonderful dog park almost daily!!! I can't imagine NOT taking Hogan there. I do have a problem with people bringing treats and toys to the park though. They both can cause problems. And pitbulls? There are lots of them at the park and they are are all the most amazing dogs!!! They are total sweethearts with huge personalities and have caused no problems at all.
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Pits get a bad rap but you must understand that these dogs can be dangerous without proper love and training.

Original thread starter said it right , Are people not there pets on crack. If you love your dog and it could harm someone then dont risk it unleased. It could be taken from you and you could even do jail time.

I think the park areas should have 2 or 3 areas sectioned off by wieght and or size

Never blame the dog...
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:23 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post
Pits get a bad rap but you must understand that these dogs can be dangerous without proper love and training.

Just like every other dog on the planet.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I would assume (hope) that the OP was talking about a specific incident and the dog happened to be a pit bull.

Anyone who leaves their dog unattended at the dog park while they sit in their car should give their head a shake. Seriously irresponsible.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Just like every other dog on the planet.
Amen Kathryn.
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
I would assume (hope) that the OP was talking about a specific incident and the dog happened to be a pit bull.

Anyone who leaves their dog unattended at the dog park while they sit in their car should give their head a shake. Seriously irresponsible.
I too am hoping that the OP is referring to a specific incident regarding the Pitbull.

NO breed of dog should be left unattended at any dog park.

I won't take my Pitbulls to a dog park, not because I don't trust them to behave, but because I don't trust the other owners to control their dogs.

Jersey, was attacked by a cockerpoo, just walking thru the park, not a dog park, just a park. This dog was vicious, Jersey almost knocked me on my butt trying to get away from it. The owner thought it was pretty funny, until it turned on me and I had to kick it to get it off. Jersey barked at it and the guy said if that Pit hurts my dog I'll kill it. Ohhh so it's ok that this little dog came running at us, and aggressively so, and was nipping and biting both Jersey and I. But look out if we took the means to defend ourselves.

So yeah its not cool when ANY dog is uncontrolled and unsupervised in any place let alone a dog park
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
My dog is a female golden retriever who is properly trained and is very much socialized from day one and we cant go to dog parks cuz she gets so riled up that she gets bully-ish and aggressive, the worse part is people laugh cuz she's a golden - its not so funny when she's intimidating your 3 month old puppy. Its statement like that that get humans and their dogs in trouble, and my dog is a prime example of why breed bans do not work.

But I do agree, dog parks are full of unstable dogs and unstable owners, its not the place to go if you expect peace love and happiness from everyone. You'd be better off finding a small park or area to bring your dog or find them some dog friends and arrange safe play dates.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
border collie mama

Quote:

But you also have to understand that any dog who isnt loved and trained could be very aggressive and dangerous, whether it be a chi, a shi-tzu, a great dane, a border collie, a rottie, a pit bull, a lab, a GR..anything!

I think the park areas should have 2 or 3 areas sectioned off by wieght and or size
I think the sectioned off areas is a great idea, i know people who dont want there 10 pound dog playing with my 55 pound dog, they are scared he might play a little too rough or step on it by mistake ( although he is very careful with little dogs and puppies) .

i also agree with fordgirl some dog parks ( not all, we have some good ones around here..where the owners actually care and watch what their dog is doing) have a few unstable dogs, which throws the whole pack of dogs off and makes them all unstable which can lead to fights and otehr problems. Also it is better to find a fenced in field and get a group of four or five dogs ( even one other dog) that you know and know get along with your pooch and let them go socialize together.
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
My dog is a female golden retriever who is properly trained and is very much socialized from day one and we cant go to dog parks cuz she gets so riled up that she gets bully-ish and aggressive, the worse part is people laugh cuz she's a golden - its not so funny when she's intimidating your 3 month old puppy. Its statement like that that get humans and their dogs in trouble, and my dog is a prime example of why breed bans do not work.
I love this! Not that you can't take your girl to dog parks but just how it gives an example of peoples perception on particular breeds. People laugh at your dog for doing this because she's a golden. Imagine if I brought my girl Arez there and she was behaving like a bully. People would NOT be laughing but judging me. Judging her. Judging the breed. I have handled quite a few pit bulls that would thrive in a dog park setting but I would never take them there because if a scuffle did occur, even without the pit bull starting it, it'd probably wind up on the front page of the paper with a poll asking if people think the breed should be banned. Any breed of dog acts aggressively, it's just being a dog. A pit bull acts aggressively and it's going to kill your kids next.
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Joey was the cutest little thing. Just a little black and white shih tzu---looked like a stuffed animal so everyone wanted to pet him. I was a nervous wreck on the times that I had him in public because he'd been abused and he was skittish and he'd just as soon take off your hand as look at you.

I was petrified that he would bite someone and it would be reported and he'd be put down. I used to alert anyone who came near him "He bites" We were like lepers in Biblical times who were made to yell "UNCLEAN" everywhere they went. But the poor thing needed to get out. He did like seeing people and could enjoy attention if it was from a grown up who understood how to apporach him. I just didn't take chances and never ever ever let him off leash or let a child approach him without picking him up.

My friend has a pittie and I've seen that dog sit stock still while a baby pulled herself by his ears. And my neighbor has a golden that is very cranky and growly and can't be trusted around strangers.

Cooper is a shih tzu and he has the best temperament of any dog I've ever known. You never can tell.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull Love View Post
I love this! Not that you can't take your girl to dog parks but just how it gives an example of peoples perception on particular breeds. People laugh at your dog for doing this because she's a golden. Imagine if I brought my girl Arez there and she was behaving like a bully. People would NOT be laughing but judging me. Judging her. Judging the breed. I have handled quite a few pit bulls that would thrive in a dog park setting but I would never take them there because if a scuffle did occur, even without the pit bull starting it, it'd probably wind up on the front page of the paper with a poll asking if people think the breed should be banned. Any breed of dog acts aggressively, it's just being a dog. A pit bull acts aggressively and it's going to kill your kids next.
People laugh cuz it looks "cute" - a golden with her nose scrunched up - showing teeth, very odd and very silly looking, but its agression. And I have always said - if she was a doby - we'd be chased from the park! I tell as many people as I can about her and our example as to why the breed ban doesn't work. Too many people think the breed is the problem, but its really back yard breeding, irresponsible owners and the lack of knowledge passed on from one closed minded person to another.

Unfortunitly, the behaviorlist and trainers I have worked with over the last 2 years (many) say that golden retrievers are one of the most over bred/unstable breeds out there, they see more goldens and labs and small lap dogs then any of the bully breeds. :sad:

Sorry OP, we went off topic here, hoping you meant a particilaur event. I do feel your frustration, there are so many good animals and owners out there, its a handful that ruin the experience.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; August 11th, 2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Yeah, you just never know. I've had bad experiences with little cute fluffy dogs more than other larger breeds I think because a lot of people have them now and they don't realize they're dogs, that they need training and to be on a leash regardless of their size. Some people think they're accessories.

Big and I were at a pet store a few years ago (last time we went!), he was on a leash and in the middle of looking through toys, and suddenly this little thing comes barelling around the corner of the aisle barking and growling. Had Big not been such a good boy (that day ) he could have crushed it with one paw or grabbed it and shaken it like a stuffy. I yelled "who's dog is this" at the top of my lungs, holding Big back and trying to keep the little rat away from him, and it still took a few minutes before this woman finally wandered by and glared at me before picking up her dog. Didn't she recognize it's bark? Did she not care? I suggested she put that thing on a leash and teach it some manners before it gets hurt and she said maybe I should keep my big intimidating dog out of public places. :wall