Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Canidae:

Industry Can Recall

In light of the unfortunate current can recall by other respectable pet food manufacturers, our phone lines and emails are tied up with concerned customers. We want you, our valued customer, to feel secure with the continued use of our canned products. CANIDAE® canned foods in no way is affected by the recall, nor are any of our products produced in the recalled production facility.
CANIDAE Pet Foods also does not produce cuts and gravies, pouches, and does not contain corn, wheat or soybeans in any of our products or formulations.

Our heartfelt concerns go out to all those effected by the recall.

CANIDAE Pet Foods
http://www.canidae.com/
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:25 PM

DVP Natural Balance:

NOTICE:
Natural Balance Pet Foods® is NOT INVOLVED
with the Pet Food Recall.
For more information, go to www.fda.gov.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:28 PM

To everyone here...I'm sorry, didn't mean to start anything. I'm new here and havn't even had a chance to properly introduce myself. (I have intentions to do that over in the appropiate thread, as soon as I can get through a very emotional, sad time I'm having right now).

One of my other 3 cats "Fluffy" is starting to show signs of a problem. I noticed she didn't eat breakfast, then went looking for her and found Fluffy next to a puddle of throw up. Then...my hubby just fessed up to me that he let the other cats finish the left overs from what Petunia ate. He thought they would be ok and not affected, as he let them finish the leftovers "only 2 times". Petunia had been eating it everyday for almost 3 weeks before he was put down 9 days ago.

Fluffy has an appointment tomorrow for blood test. I am so worried, I can't even imagine the thought of putting down/losing another one of my precious cats. This is crazy! My heart is breaking, I know all of you understand.....that's why I'm here.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Chicken soup for the pet lover's soul says they're NOT involved either...
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Icy I'm so sorry! that your other kitties are ok too.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow Prin, thanks for all that info!
I went to our local grocery store today - to see if they still had any of the packages of the kind I bought for my cat. I couldn't believe it , the shelves were stacked FULL of Iams, PC, Purina dog and cat food, pouches of cuts and gravy and canned stuff with NO INFORMATION about the recall at ALL. I'm so disappointed with them. I tracked down an employee to ask what was up and he just said none of their products were affected by the recall. I told him that I looked some of the packages up on the Menu web site and they were most definitely ON the recall list . For the sake of our local pet population I'm going to make up a few notices of my own and ask the store manager if I can post them, for people's peace of mind if stuff isn't on the list and to warn them about stuff that IS .

Thankfully I did in fact luck out on the particular flavour of food I bought last week as a treat for my kitty, I guess it's not very popular so the packages were quite old and almost out dated, the date on the package did not match any of those on the recall list. YIPEE!

My heart goes out to all of you out there who have been unknowingly feeding this stuff :sad: for anybody who's gotten sick.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Owned by goldens

Pet food recall

Thanks Prin. I had not thought of checking the Canidae site to see if they had made a statement.
If wheat gluten is the cause of the problem and is in both canned/pouch food as well as dry why isn't it a problem with kibble?
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I know coppper, it doesn't make sense. Unless this particular factory ONLY processes cans and pouches and gets a separate supply of ingredients.

I didn't think about looking at their sites until I accidentally saw the announcement on Wellness's site.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Kitty Consort

Prin, thank you for posting that update! This is very frightening, and the list seems to keep expanding .
My dog's on Solid Gold.. but I alternate with Go Natural and Felidae for the cats, and I was becoming alarmed.
I was just about to do a net search to try to find more info.
We as pet owners need reassurance that our food is safe.

Icy, I am so sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your cat.:sad: and pray that your other kitties will be ok.
What a nightmare for you.:sad:
My heart goes out to you and to all affected by this terrible occurence.
Please keep us posted, wont you?
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Timberwolf Organics:

Our Timberwolf Organics line of pet foods is not affected
by the recent Menu Foods recall.

For more infomation visit http://www.fda.gov

http://www.timberwolforganics.com/s.nl
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
but I alternate with Go Natural and Felidae for the cats, and I was becoming alarmed.
Go Natural is Petcurean, and they say their foods are fine.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Fromm:

Fromm products are NOT affected by the Menu can pet food recall
In regards to the recent recall of canned pet foods, Fromm Family Foods want to re-assure all of our existing customers and any customer considering a Four-Star product that all of our canned dog and cat foods are produced WITHOUT the use of any binders such as wheat gluten, and are not made by Menu Foods who has been a major supplier to to pet trade for many years. While we feel this is a major issue concerning the entire industry, no one manufacturer can underestimate the magnitude of issues like these, which is why we are doing our part to communicate what is in our products to our distributors, retailers, and customers. As such, we feel it is more important than ever to insist on producing our canned products using only the finest ingredients made in facilities fit for human consumption. We have based our entire manufacturing process on fibrous muscle meat production and the use of fresh vegetables combined in a Grain Free formulation.

Key Points
Fromm Four-Star cans are NOT made by Menu Foods
Four-Star cans are produced in a human food plant without the use of wheat gluten or other grains
All Four-Star cans are made with 100% pure meat, duck, chicken and fish, NOT reformed meat
Fromm Family Foods does not use any by-products in our dog and cat foods
Fromm products are all-natural. Products made with binders to make reformed meat and products which use wheat gluten are NOT considered all-natural by our standards

We sincerely regret this has affected so many of us in both the pet food industry and especially the pet owners themselves who have experienced this directly.

If you have any further questions please feel free to Contact Us.

http://www.frommfamily.com/contact-recall-info.php
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I think all pet owners right now are feeling a sense of anger, concern and sorrow.
To those of you wh have lost your loved ones because of this terrible mistake, my thoughts are with all of you.
I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the reason only the wet/pouched food was recalled. On the FDA website, it says the reason for the sickness could be related to a particular ingredient. If this is the case, wouldn't dry food be affected too?
About 10 days ago, I posted that my little Cocker was sick with heightened levels of creatinin and BUN. This issue with the food was not out at that time. He was recovering nicely, and we fed him only boiled rice, chicken and carrots which the vet said was ok. During this time, we fed him Nutro dry food once when we ran out of cooked food. Hershey went back into the hospital today with acute renal failure. He has never had the wet food from any of the brands. I do not mean to alarm anyone, maybe my dog has a congenital problem and his illness just happens to coincide with this food recall. But please, can someone explain the major difference between the wet and dry food with regards to ingredients?

Love to all in this difficult time
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM

So to sum up

The following companies issued statements on their websites saying they are not affected by the recall:
(click on the little arrow to go to the beginning of where I posted the company statements.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Wellness
Petcurean
Solid Gold
Nature's Variety
Natura
Canidae
DVP Natural Balance
Chicken soup for the pet lover's soul
Timberwolf Organics
Fromm
Merrick

(Performatrin, Holistic Blend, By Nature, Wysong, Acana (Orijen), Nature's Logic all have nothing on their websites yet)

Last edited by Prin; March 20th, 2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Merrick has a statement on their site too.:)
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I'm so sorry for the diagnosis, arpita.:sad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpita View Post
But please, can someone explain the major difference between the wet and dry food with regards to ingredients?
If there was a tainted shipment of wheat gluten that only affected one manufacturing plant, and that plant only manufactured wet foods, then kibble won't be affected. But who knows, really? We'll only know more as time progresses.

Old March 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Hello again. I just got a call from our doctor with results of our ultrasound test. Apparently our little one does have a congenital problem with his kidneys. While this is difficult news for us, I hope it gives all of you some hope and outs to rest any doubts about the dry food.
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM

I'm so sorry! Good luck with any treatments you undergo with him.
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Ragdoll Mom

My heart goes out to everyone

There are no words to express how truly sorry I am to everyone and their pets who has suffered due to this recall. I myself sit here and watch every minute to make sure I see no signs of anything. I feed (fed) my cats Iams, they eat everything from pate, gravy sytle to the pouches. Thank god at this point there are absolutely no signs of anything, but I am sick I can't even check to see if we had any contaminated food as I ran out last week so all those cans are gone. I just bought a bunch of cans on Friday and they are going in the garbage, for some reason even though the cans don't fall in the recall I can no longer in good conscience feed them the food. Not that they care for it all that much anyway. I am trying really hard not let my imagination get the best of me, stay calm and go make a good educated decision on their new food! That's my vent for the day. Once again my deepest sympathies to those who have been effected by this recall, my prayers for those of us in limbo and happy thoughts for those of you not effected but here to support the rest of us.

Kahula.

p.s. I called Iams got no useful information what so ever!
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Wow, things change so quickly! We got a list yesterday morning, and this morning, we got two more follow up lists (straight from the horses mouths, complete with batch numbers for every item recalled), with some items removed, and some new ones added. Crazy!

At any rate, I don't want to read this whole thread again, but most of what I did read here was accurate. It's mainly the lower quality foods that have been affected (the ONLY food that we carry that's been recalled is Nutro wet), but it's always best to err on the side of caution anyway.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
To everyone here...I'm sorry, didn't mean to start anything. I'm new here and havn't even had a chance to properly introduce myself. (I have intentions to do that over in the appropiate thread, as soon as I can get through a very emotional, sad time I'm having right now).

One of my other 3 cats "Fluffy" is starting to show signs of a problem. I noticed she didn't eat breakfast, then went looking for her and found Fluffy next to a puddle of throw up. Then...my hubby just fessed up to me that he let the other cats finish the left overs from what Petunia ate. He thought they would be ok and not affected, as he let them finish the leftovers "only 2 times". Petunia had been eating it everyday for almost 3 weeks before he was put down 9 days ago.

Fluffy has an appointment tomorrow for blood test. I am so worried, I can't even imagine the thought of putting down/losing another one of my precious cats. This is crazy! My heart is breaking, I know all of you understand.....that's why I'm here.

Icy, I am so sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for Fluffy and hope your others will be okay too.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
So to sum up

The following companies issued statements on their websites saying they are not affected by the recall:
(click on the little arrow to go to the beginning of where I posted the company statements.)

Petcurean
Solid Gold
Nature's Variety
Natura
Canidae
DVP Natural Balance
Chicken soup for the pet lover's soul
Timberwolf Organics
Fromm

(Performatrin, Holistic Blend, By Nature, Wysong, Acana (Orijen), Nature's Logic all have nothing on their websites yet)
Prin, thank you for all the work you put into this.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Merrick also issued a statement on their website that they are not affected by the recall.
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Prin Awesome work researching all those websites for everyone ,Thanks so much.

Icy I really hope that your other cats recover .With any luck they only got enough to get a little sick and now that the vet knows what to look for ,well I just hope for the best for you.
Arpita ,thanks for posting the info ,hopefully your dog is going to be ok.
For anyone else that suspects any illness with their pet now is not the time to panic But is also is not the time to wait to see if they get better . Since the companies don't really seem to know or want to release exactly what the cause is we can only speculate .As for the food you feed not being on the list ,if your animal is sick waste no time getting to the vet. I don't mean this to scare anyone but a quick trip to the vet is going to be reassuring if it is nothing serious and "timely" if there is a real problem.
Take no chances.
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Food Recall

Hi Everyone Icy my prayers are with you. My dog Sera is having a blood test for her kidneys as we are unsure if she might have gotten the infected food. She eats Royale Canine kibble but was having Nutro large breed canned to try and keep some fat on as her weight is always going up and down. As the cans are now gone and she has been urinating alot and drinking alot our vet for piece of mind he would do the test as she is my baby and I lost one to Pf's and one to an accisdent and he said I don't need anymore sadness. I love my vet and I do hope and pray he is right and she's fine. The rest of all the can's is now at his office so it can be incinerated as he doesn't want it in a land fill. I really don't know what else to do but pray and email everyone I know with info. The vet tells me the food was made by this company but in their plant in the USA but I am not taking anymore chances she will now get my cooking instead. Sorry this is so long but you all are always so thoughtful and I needed to talk to other's about my baby.
Prayers for all.
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Angry

Oh my God. For real....I just noticed tonight (I can't get on the forum at work) that this thread had jumped up to four pages. I can't even describe to you the feeling of dread I had reading all of the posts....

Icy, I can't imagine the pain and anger you're experiencing right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this trying time...Why do our pets have to suffer like this???

I was watching the news tonight and there was a story about a lady from Drumheller that had one cat die and another one on IV at the vet; they don't know if the poor guy is going to make it. Her other cat is okay.

Prin, Mocha and I can't thank you enough for doing all of that research. You really are an . I felt incredible relief when I saw that Petcurean and Natural Balance are still okay.

This is horrible. I'm just beside myself right now. Just anyone else feel totally helpless and incredible angry?? I've been on the phone with everyone I know with pets, warning them about this recall. I just can't believe that this is happening, and people's pets are dying. I'm so damn angry right now!!
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM
~Cat Servent~

:sad: So sorry for the losses.... breaks your heart. One lady on the news today was saying she was scared that she may have killed her dog (sick with kidneys prob. pos. due to recalled food)... like it was her fault... so sad. I just thank God here that we thought Fagan had a food allergy, we had to switch them all to a food with no corn or wheat gluten and when I was feeding Nutro they all hated the wet food. I sent an email out to all the pet owners and people I know today with the link to the recall site (because some like me, prefer not to watch the news and stay in the dark most of the time-news wise anyhow- thank goodness for my sister-in-law who called me). But when in Zehrs I noticed all the food still on the shelves there too. Some stores are too slow and unaware when these things happen. So the more we tell the better I guess. Tonight I'll be praying for those that are sick, those that have lost and that those that are unaffected remain that way. God Bless.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M

Last edited by krdahmer; March 20th, 2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:07 AM

this makes me sick

My poorlittle guy won't eat drycat food alone Ihave to lmix wet with it.he onlygot 2 teaspoons aday.whe i fed him just dry he lost weight Iam so sorry for the pet owners who have lost a furbaby because of this
warm thoughts going out to all
Katherine
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Animal Nut!

well... its just been on the news here in New Zealand that there is a shipment of recalled food on its way here and to Australia. (Iams and Neutro gravey tinned food stuff)

Apparently its going to be destroyed when the ship docks! HOPEFULLY that will happen.

My heart goes out to anybody who has suffered loss, or who's pet is sick due to this unnecessary happening.

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM
-

Huge thanks to Prin (and any others) who have topped up our knowledge of the recall and what the other companies are saying. I don't know about you but being relatively *new* to the kibble world, feeing a food where the manufacturer refuses to divulge where our food is made (Timberwolf), I'm feeling like a lame duck. to all of you folks who have been using food from the recall list. Sick animals or not, I hope you sue their 's.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Owned by goldens

Pet food recall

The affected food was manufactured in the U.S. The company has a Canadian head office but the problem arose from the plant in Texas (I think). It also has a plant in Pennsylvania but I believe it was made in Texas. If a shipment is on its way to New Zealand you can just imagine how many other countries this food has been shipped to.

My heart goes out to everyone who has recently lost a pet and didn't know why. For those who have a sick animal or suspected sick animal I am keeping my fingers crossed that they recover.