Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Sheba,thank you for coming back,giving us some more info.
You say Tess is the mother of Kayla and Atsilla,how did you happen to take care of Tess??
Are they neutered/spayed?
I agree the beautiful wolf should be free,never kept captive,but maybe circumstances made you keep pregnant Tess.
The saddest thing I ever saw,was two wolves laying around almost comatose at a Zoo in Sweden,their eyes were dead almost as if they'd lost the will to live,my first and last visit to the Zoo
This is a very sensitive subject,on the one hand I envy you your close contact on the other I'd like to see them running free.
For your wolves,whom you obviously love very much,a life in the wild is probably out of the question,since they know no other life than with you.I just hope it does not encourage others,not as loving as you,to steal wolf-cubs for domestication.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:20 AM
-

I don't think we should be keeping wolves and promoting them as pets. There are far too many people that will think they can do the same as you. That just puts the wolves as well as the people in a very dangerous position. It would have been one thing if you brought them in due to a needed rescue but you purchased them as pups with the intent to keep them as pets. I would like to know what education you are offering in your travels. They do need to be understood, respected and protected as they live in the wild. If anything were to god forbid happen to you and your husband, what would then happen to these wolves.

On the other side of this, all of our dogs are here because many years ago people kept wolves as pets, breeding them and tweeking certain characteristics to develop all the beloved pooches we have today.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry,I guess I missed the part on the site,saying they were purchased and bred,not rescued :sad:
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:30 AM
-

I am not sure that it said anywhere that she was breeding them but you may want to read the bios as to where they came from.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Stacey,I will..
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Sheba-obviously you care about your wolves and the well-being of wolves in general. But I don't see how domesticating a couple of wolves benefits the timbers as a whole... why not donate to a wolf protection organization, or work on protecting them in the wild, rather than pulling them out of the wild and into your travelling home!!
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I would tend to think it is illegal to have a wolf as a pet or in captivity without lets say a licence to operate a sanctuary or zoo.

Since you have neither, then this must be illegal.

Buying wolf pups, encouraging the capture and captivity of this beautiful wild creature. You are not doing yourself or these lovely animal any good, and the reasons for having them rest mainly on ideas of selfishness for ones self and not for the betterment of the animal.

You describe one of these wolves as being your protector? Did I read that right? (SMH)

Now you've destroyed these wolves you do have, they can never be reintroduced to living wild as they should, wild and free. They'd be shot and killed because they wouldn't be able to hunt and survive, they do not have a wild pack to belong to and may be killed by other wolves for not knowing the heirarchy of such.

So there they live at the end of a chain or in a cage, because you decided you wanted them.

How very very sad for them. How very very selfish of you.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree Luba, truly sad :sad:
However, nothing illegal seems to be happening:

NEVADA

NAC 503.140: A Division of Wildlife license or permit is not required to import or possess (wolves.). However, other state agencies or local (county/city) entities may have special regulations or ordinances regarding their ownership. Wolf Hybrids are not regulated at a state level.

So it seems that as long as people want to remove these beautiful creatures from the wild, they can (at least in Nevada) :sad:
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
I am not sure that it said anywhere that she was breeding them but you may want to read the bios as to where they came from.
She may not be breeding them now,but she definately did.That's how Astilla and Kala came about.The father is Osiyo(she recived at 5 weeks old) and Mom is Tess.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats awful that it's not illegal, it SHOULD be!

Where are the brains of the laws that be...oh wait political issue.?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
My Pack of Wolves

Okay, I will try my best to get to everyone. We did not rip them from the wild we acquired Osiyo in Nevada 4 years ago from a breeder who had 4 generations on site. Tess lives in Nebraska on a cattle ranch and that is when Osiyo mated with her. Before I go further I would like to say since you are so happy to judge us that you should first at least know what you are talking about before you blurt out facts on wolves. Who do we think we are that we can sit and be so pompous that we as humans can be bleeding hearts but yet which part of their world have you sanctioned being destroyed in the name of progress. Oh I forgot they are just animals they have no rights to progress. Your only opinion should be that you wouldn’t want one, for you have no knowledge nor right to decide anything for us or them. Let’s face it you are on a pet site and where did you get your pets from. I myself think it is rude to have an animal and think of it as just a pet. So basically what you are saying is oh well it gives me companionship but not worth more than just a pet. This will be my last entry here because as usual people are just too arrogant to understand anything and form opinions on whatever they want with no facts at all. Now it is illegal to take a wolf out of the wild and would be just as rude as interbreeding your "pets" for the sake of perfect lines.

Joey: yes if they wanted to go into the wild and live we have already decided that it is their right to do. Something again we as humans take for granite is that they cant make the decision on their own, Tess, the female Osiyo mated with, lives on a cattle ranch and has full run of anywhere she wants to go and even goes on cattle drives with them. She chooses to be with her pack which too bad isn’t other wolves but the ones she’s loves. Her choice.

Luba: What exotic animals are you even talking about, none of you would have your pets if it wasn’t for an exotic animal of some kind at sometime so lets just stop breeding period and let them all just die off and have no pets, your argument would be that they aren’t exotic anymore well mine are 4th and 5th generation at least "captive" and ok instead of us maybe we should just have let someone else get them that would have abused them. Again they were born and raised in captivity. Oh and if they are born and raised in this captivity that everyone keeps saying then duh so are you. Maybe we should just close all the supermarkets and let humans fend for themselves, or is it your choice not to hunt for all your food.
As far as stupidity just look at how people again blurt things out without taking the time to actually knowing what they are talking about. There is no recorded history of humans being attacked by wolves in the wild but we shoot them just because they are there. We fear them because they will rip our throats out. How many people are attacked by pets hmmmm. Also we make quotes because at least we researched and live with what we say.

Prin: Huskies are bread with huskies to be huskies. That is man interfering and making it look exactly the way they want them to be. Wolves, dogs, foxes, coyotes are all in the same family and can breed hence the red wolf which is a wolf and a coyote. There are differences between wolves and dogs though, like number of teeth and such. Wolves also have cognitive thought as apposed to just instinct. They think things out instead of just inbred reactions.

shannon: Ok typical I don’t know but ill spout off anyway. Where did you get these facts? First of all they are not free to breed in the wild. Only the alpha male and alpha female breed and the female is the one who will stop the others from breeding. As I see it, it is their own way of preventing close interbreeding but since I didn’t ask then I am guessing. Hunting as a pack, and this benefits them how? I am not disputing the fact that a wolf raised in the wild should not stay there just as you are raised by humans and then being dropped into the wilderness to fend for yourself. Or if that’s the best thing then maybe again or should I say why don’t you do it. Again the wolves made into pets. What were you made into and if you all can not think of your companions other than pets then I feel sorry for them. Your quote My dogs are more than my best friends, they're family quit thinking you are the only one that can think that.

Mona: again a speaker from the hip. If your child was unsocial you would send them to a psychologist for help but stupid to allow my wolves to socialize. That is called responsible. People get it through your heads you use the word wild apparently because it’s all you know but to them what are we. The ones in the wilderness are there by fate and they do what they need to survive just like we do with where we were born. They however don’t have any other choices because if they did venture near us they would be killed and why? When was your last experience of being attacked by wolves? As far as being wrong there is nothing more wrong than attacking someone with no knowledge or care for anything but your own fears.

Chico: I explained Tess already up further and atsilla is spade as it seemed better than the alternative and that would have been interbreeding or having to cage and separate atsilla when she was in heat. Not our favorite thing to do but wolf decided it was best for them all and he is the alpha of the pack so yes he has that right.

Stacey: you are right "We" as in you shouldn’t have them nor do I think 99.9% of people who think they do should. I could have made a fortune from them if I wanted to. I choose not to simply because humans can’t be trusted with them they are not dogs and can not be treated as such but the stupidity to say they aren’t happy is about insane.

Puppluv: Again I don’t feel they have been domesticated in the small way we think of the word. Our goal was to show people that they are not the vicious big bad wolves that we are taught. They don’t need to be slaughtered and we were hoping that we could show the next generation that they are wonderful animals that can co-exist in our world. We didn’t pull them from the wild as I have already said. We chose to first have them because Wolf first is a healer and spiritually is guided by the wolf. Secondly he wanted me to have a companion that was smarter and a better judge of bad people than I am. Osiyo is exactly that. as far as the chain of command he is second and I do what he says. This is all things you can’t understand unless you live it because most people would be appalled by the fact that I am sub to an animal. But proven time and time again he is better at controlling my environment more than I am. Example of intelligence and structure. When I go out with Osiyo alone he is right at my side watching everything and caring for me to the point of directing me away from danger which he has a few times. When Wolf goes with us he is at the end of his leash or off it playing and doing his fun stuff and knows that Wolf is in charge now and I am his problem now LOL....This is all you have to be there we as people only take into accord the bad things we hear and yes there is lots of abuse out there and it isn’t just about wolves.

Luba: First of all again you know nothing about what you are talking about and I will say again they aren’t and weren’t taken from the wild which is illegal. We can not reintroduce them to the wild since they never have been in it.

Ok people you go be sanctimonious uneducated people and make up all you want and that’s why they are still being slaughtered. Reintroducing them to the wild as you all want for them is getting them slaughtered still. If you do care so much then educate yourselves and stand up for them. The ones that are being introduced to the wild are still being shot on site by the loving humans you so much want to live with. We like living with them and if you don’t like it then too bad. We do not need to answer to you and you are the reason that they are in the position that they are. Wolves have only one natural predator and that is humans so either be part of the solution or keep your opinions to yourself because you have no right spouting off about things you do not know. When we cease to learn we become stupid. I will bid you all farewell and sadly again instead of taking the opportunity to gain some knowledge and really get to enjoy nature you all sit petting your pets and judge everyone else. Sad though we could have helped you understand them better but now you get to be ignorant because the majority still will not take a minute to gain any knowledge so Byeeeeeeee

Oh and to one yesterday there is no native culture that keeps wolves captive but apparently the drunk who told you that was a good source of info. Stay out of the bars and try reading more. Oh forgot the trained thing..unlike you we do not and for that matter can not train them. To think that they would even just sit on command is ludicrous and if they could would flip us the bird. They were given the knowledge to exist in their environment and learned well. So go make your dogs do tricks because it is cute but as for us we will just love our pack and do what we do. They do things because they love and respect us, not because of a conditioned response such as a slap or a treat. You go ahead and raise your hand to one of them. Hope you don’t like your hand..
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:06 PM

Closed. Enough ganging up on Sheba. Thanks, WW
Closed Thread