Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

So are you doing anything to help her replace the outside time with activities inside?

This doesn't explain the cat soiling your bed or the cats fighting.

As the pack of human, dogs and cats grows is there less structure overall? It sounds like you do a great job but it almost sounds like the animals are starting to show stress. The four leggeds are taking over and doing what they can to take control. This is a sign that the leader has slipped up somehow. Hate to suggest that though.

Are you busier? distracted? worried about something? energy the same? Hormonal?
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM

Personally, I think your mimpin is doing this out of excitment/dominence. I also have 2 pugs, both are spayed females. When the pack gets excited in the back yard and all take off. Sulynn, will run up on my other pug and hump her. Now Sulynn never does this all the time during a day, only when the pack get excited about something and she always humps rose my other pug. I just egnor it. When I lived in Peoria,Il many years ago. I never forgot the time I was walking my boxer. A MinPin came running out of a yard, and would not let me pass on the side walk. So I moved to the other side of the street. The MP ran across the street and blocked me again. We went back and fourth for 10min. before the MP's owner finally came out and picked him up, He said I'm so sorry. He thinks he owns the street. It always amazed me that this little tiny dog, thought he could rule the world. And who am I to say he couldn't LOL!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
So are you doing anything to help her replace the outside time with activities inside?

This doesn't explain the cat soiling your bed or the cats fighting.

As the pack of human, dogs and cats grows is there less structure overall? It sounds like you do a great job but it almost sounds like the animals are starting to show stress. The four leggeds are taking over and doing what they can to take control. This is a sign that the leader has slipped up somehow. Hate to suggest that though.

Are you busier? distracted? worried about something? energy the same? Hormonal?
I cannot say that I am stimulating her enough perhaps Bendyfoot. We do the same thing every day really. Eat, play time, grooming, cuddling, sleeping. (For each one and also collectively).

Am I stressed? Well always alittle but nothing to the point where I am breaking down in tears. Could I be slipping....maybe but I am not sure where. I think I need to step back and perhaps my time with rescues in consuming too much time...

So maybe it is me and not Maddox (the scape goat)...I will have to think about this, and anything is possible...

Now you got me thinking...
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

ben max, im still laughing lol, sorry, yes the f. do this to there master to make sure there the boss, i dont think so!! one eyed nicky that i have had 11 yrs plus still does to brion and so does baby lexus, but not to me, its a min pin trying to be a great dane, you should of told me about this the other night when we talked, she is also trying to be the boss of the cats, doing this she is saying im alpha, any questions call me, only to happy to help! brenda and the pins
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gang View Post
ben max, im still laughing lol, sorry, yes the f. do this to there master to make sure there the boss, i dont think so!! one eyed nicky that i have had 11 yrs plus still does to brion and so does baby lexus, but not to me, its a min pin trying to be a great dane, you should of told me about this the other night when we talked, she is also trying to be the boss of the cats, doing this she is saying im alpha, any questions call me, only to happy to help! brenda and the pins
Thank you Brenda and the gang of rebels.... I had nothing to tell you the other night because there was nothing happening. This is all so sudden.

These little ones are something really. And yes, she has always thought that she was a huge terrifying dog...but this is the first time I have seen this from her.

I just may have to call you for sure if this persists. I will monitor closely, and perhaps try to stimulate her with more play...oh and discipline.
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Live well, laugh often

This might be over simplifying things but I saw the pic thread of your day with GG where Sushi was supposedly trying to hump Julia (and others?). Do you think that might have started the behaviour and she is now just testing it out?
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:44 AM

BenMax, I have to say all of this really sounds like a MinPin thing. After 7 years living with my bonnie. I see alot of the same things. Bonnie was very badly abused when I adopted her. No one wanted her at all. She had been breed 2 times, and would not nurse the litters at all. See had eaten her back toes off. She was at the vet recovering when she was offered to me by my Vet. I had just lost my Rotti. Bonnie was 2 years old when I first saw her. Scared to death of everything. Kept all 4 feet tucked up. A really sad site. I had to adopt her. And have never been sorry once. It has taken 7 years now to settle her down to where she can relax and be happy. I have LEARNED ALOT about her. HAHA! I right off the bat took her to puppy class for soc. only. Man was that somethin. She wouldn't move an inch. Just layed on the floor and shook. But lots of love and patients today this little girl is a wonderful dog. She never hesitates to make me laugh my head off at the things that are the MINPIN way.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Katb - you and I have more in common than you may know. I lost my Rotti Ben and 1.5 years later, I adopted Julia! I was initially looking for another Rotti, but Julia was not adoptable - so I kept her. Interesting isn't this!

I spoke quite a bit with Brenda and the Gang. She has given me a crash course on this breed. I keep learning as reading about them is not totally accurate.

She has stopped nesting but still is humping...what can I tell you...I am sure there will be more surprises to come.

I thank you for your input. I appreciate it.