Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Ford girl,that's good progress,he is probably mistrusting of people,we don't know what happened to him:sad:
It will take time to gain his trust,hopefully nothing bad happens to him in the meantime.
Some jerks believe if you dump a cat he will be ok on his own,or they simply don't care,but domestic cats just cannot survive out there,I know mine would never.
I hope this little soul comes around before the cold comes
Me too Chico2, altho Calgary can be very different form other places in the fall, as chilly as it gets some nights, a chinnok could blow in and it could be 18+ the next day!! I am home for 5 days this long wekened so maybe just maybe I can work with him. We don't get alot of snow or rain, but it is chilly, it's going to be decent this weekend.

I fear that he will be snoozing in the box or come close and be scared off by Dazy. Trying to keep her at bay until he starts to trust us more. I of course am assuming he's a he.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old October 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM

good job Ford Girl hopefully s/he will come around quick

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

When I got home last night from work, who was sitting beside the empty dish...MR ALLY KAT! He greeted me with his little dance, and rolled over..then snapped out of it and sat up straight right away..LOL! Dropped his guard for 5 seconds. I went in, got him some wet food, brought it out, sat down, he started eating....AND...HE LET ME PET HIM!!!

I made sure to reach around the side with his good eye, so I didnt startle him, I rested my hand on his head, he kept eating and purring, then I stroked his back, his body and coat felt good. When he was done eating, I stopped petting him, he just sat there, eventually I had to get up and go in to attend to my critters who couldn't figure out why I came in for 5 seconds and back out again....especially since I grabbed a can of Pubert's cat food from the fridge...LMAO!

At about 7:00 I was letting Dazy outside, and there he was sitting in the front this time, he recongized my red sweater and meowed, but Dazy came to the fence and he took off.

I got my husband to agree to let me at some point bring him in to the basement bedroom until we can figure out the next step. He said we can't keep him, and the no kill shelters don't have room as of right now...so there is no next step in place...we will see if and when we can get him inside.

Old October 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Zoo operator

Right On! That is a nice story to read, thanks
I hope your hubby falls in love with your new lil guy like my hubby fell in love with our stray. He is such a sweetie, I am so glad we kept him~!
Perhaps he will jsut fit right in and all your furr kids will get along just fine! Or perhaps you will find someone who will give him an awsome home.
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Fordgirl,he is starting to trust,that's one giant leap
Hubby will more than likely change his mind once you got him in your house.
If he is an unfixed male,you just cannot miss those testies hanging around
Maybe he is really a little girl
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hubby will more than likely change his mind once you got him in your house.
That's what I was thinking too ! good job Ford Girl he knows you're the food source now , he will become your best friend soon !
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Could you imagine,having constant hunger,going through garbage,maybe to find a chicken-bone:sad:
Then one day,some good soul starts putting out food every day,your tummy is full and life all of sudden is not so miserable and maybe in the future a warm,soft,loving place to call home,must be a miracle for a little lonely cat
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Zoo operator

Nice kitty Chico! LOL
Yes, I feel for them. I cant imagine living outside, scrounging either Chico.
Im so so happy he is trusting you Ford Girl, and that you are helping him!

Last edited by spud; October 5th, 2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: to clarify who I was speaking to :)
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Spud,it's not me with the stray kitty,it's Fordgirl
Luckily I don't see any strays around here,but I have fed a couple in the past..
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I just saw this news clip last night about how Calgary is becoming over run with stray cats, it showed some communities with cats running every where and the city bilaw folks and rescue group running around after them, tones of cats, every where. The were giving tips, saying not to feed them at all, and to trap them any way they can and that the rescue shelters are full, to bring them tot he city pound. There were kittens too.

Thankfully there is only one kitty in my ally that I can see needs my help, and he's looking so much better. I do have a feeling tho, if I do end up taking him to the vet, it's going to cost alot to get him healthy again, so I just thru $100 in to his "trust fund", i.e. my savings account. hah!

I agree, if I can get him in, and set up with his own room, and work with him, then introduce him to the rest of my fmaily my DH will have a change of mind, maybe, just maybe.

Old October 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Zoo operator

clarification

Hey Chico..I know its Ford, I should've added her name there to clarify i was changing who i was speakin to. oops!
still like your kitty pic though, chico ! white cats rule!
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

Ford Girl, it's FANTASTIC to hear how your Alley Cat is warming up to you ; you two have made great progress! Even if it doesn't look like this kitty will be 'permanent' in your household at this point, I'd try to get him at least into the basement where he'd be safe and warm.

No guarantees, I realize, but it's amazing how some 'temporary' cats eventually become residents ("...I know, sweetie/DH, this is just for a little bit, till this poor kitten gets a bit healthier!" ...6 mos. later, "Well, honeybun, he just needs a teeny bit more time!").

I guess with the stray/feral cat population in Calgary, and the strategy (i.e. round up and put down) it sounds like the city has adopted, Alley Cat wouldn't have a chance. If you for some reason can't integrate him into your home, private adoption sounds like the only viable option.

From one or two of your previous posts, it sounded like there are a few 'cat advocate' people/groups in Calgary; have you found any people who do work with feral colonies? Most larger cities have some sort of group like this...again, Alley Cat Allies in the States does at least have some really good info (I've even phoned them a couple of times).

I know all of us on the board are pulling for you and Alley Cat; hang in there, and keep posting
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I saw him a few times this weekend, fed him, petted him, hoping to get him inside this week or next, it's warm here now, good weather this week, not sure how long that will last. Fingers crossed.

Do I just pick him up? Should I wear gloves? Should I toss him in Puberts kennel to bring him in? Is there anythign i need to worry about health wise that may go from him, to me, to my critters?

Old October 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
~Cat Servent~

Gloves may scare him if he is trusting you to pet him, but he may get scared anyhow if you try to pick him up. I started picking Papa (The male stray I had last year) up just for a few seconds at a time just to get him used to being held while he was still outside and gave him treats after (I used dry temptations treats to lure him closer and to start trusting me), and I did use a carrier to take him into the spare room I had set up for him, it was relatively stress free for us both. I just put some goodies in the carrier a couple days in a row outside and he walked right in himself for treats the day I caught him. Yes he could have fleas, worms and or parasites so make sure he is seperated from your critters and have a dose of revolution ready to put on him if not before he comes in (I did papa a day before and most of the fleas were already dead the next mornin), then immediately when he is in (if the vet wants a weight or is not going to give it to you, just explain it is a rescue and they should help you out). Have food and water ready in the room so he knows that is your intent to continue to feed him (and have the litter box ready, I added a sm. piece of my kitties poo so that he knew what it was for). And be sure he sees a vet and gets a clean bill of health before introducing him to any of yours (if thats what you plan to do).
Good luck to you both, and bless you for caring for this little guy. Seeing them learn to trust and watching their personalities come out when they finally feel safe is so rewarding.... as is them finding their forever home. ( I heard that papa's new family is just smitten with him, but I am still a wee bit :sad: that I didn't get to say a proper goodbye... I got really attached to him!)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

...sounds like krdahmer has covered most everything in her post above; just wanted to add my continued / and all that good stuff for you and 'Alley Cat'.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I just got an email from MEOW foundation, they can take him if I can catch him! I need to find a trap to use....wish me luck!!! A huntn I will go...hahah!

Old October 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
~Cat Servent~

Good luck!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:34 AM

ooooohhh for AlleyKat a great furever home to you very soon

for you FordGirl for all you've done for the wee one

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Good Luck Alley Cat! Feral cat tip!!!

Living in the country we usually have "dropped off" cats around, that quickly become feral. I have at one time had 12 cats here! Poor babies are just left by the sub human people that don't think these beings need care. Most vets if they know you are doing such a service will lower their rates to spay or neuter these cats as a community service. One other thing, for all those caring for ferals: adding a shake from a can of brewers yeast helps ward off fleas, and parisites if given daily and the cats like the taste. It is protien and easily handled by most animals. Even raccoons and skunks will eat it, and it works on dogs also. More natural way to go for bug proofing.

Good luck catching Alley Cat! Happy days ahead for you!!!
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

That's progress. I have socialized many ferals so I know it can be done. Some refuse so you build colonies - which is what my grandmother did -and enlisted the support of us(her family) and her freinds. You could see if there is a feral support group in your area. You never know- there are many feral support groups now.

The trouble is most ferals are not really feral. They are strays - cats thrown away by stupid and uncaring (evil in my book to be frank) people who assume a domestic kitten or cat who has lived in a home can fend for him or herself outside Most do not and die - either slowly (disease, cruelty, cold, etc) or quickly. (hit by a car, used as bait, sold to labs by bunchers.)It's cruel world out there for cats and that's why I think most cats need to be safe indoors.

There are a a very few real ferals who like to be outside and for them, a fenced in area is the best possible solution - a colony of their friends - all spayed and neutered with feeding stations and places to come in out of the cold. Are there any facilities like that near you? They do exist more and more thank God - when I grew up, my grand mother's was one of the few.

I'd keep doing what you ate doing - I guess if it were me, I have to admit I;d have trapped him I(even if I trapped a bunch of other animals - skunks are not that difficult to cope with, contrary to popular belief) and found a place for him. Ferals like soft music, and he needs to get used to your voice., a soft human voice,If you have a pla ce where you can place a radio with classical or soft music, that wold help but I agree that works better if he is indoors and safe.

What about vet care? How will you get him to the vet? All feral groups do trap their cats to get them spayed and neutered because he does need that done or he will be responsible for more in his same predicament. (I am assuming you n ow he is a he). And one there who can help you?

I would not take him in and initially place him near your own cats and pets- he needs to be taken care of first by a vet. Any local cat trappers? (people go actually will go and trap a cat and bring him or her to a vet and then to a group ti find a home for him or her?) This is Calgary right? Surely there is a group or people somewhere?????

In the meantime, keep doing what you can.............he needs help, badly!!!! He does need food but he needs vet care as well and warmth. And tha nks for being his kitty angel!!