Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 10th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=chico2]Babyrock,it was actually a Canadian reporter on,I believe CTV news,a youngish man(I was misstaken in saying CNN)
I assume he was told to say they were Rotties and Pitbulls,making the animals look more of a threat in many peoples eyes QUOTE]

C'mon Chico. . . . that's a rather large leap . . . . it sounds like your own anger over breed bans is extending to something where it isn't applicable.

First of all, the authorities are shooting dogs and know full well reporters are filming them for the six o'clock news doing it. . . . . from that point on the cat is out of the bag so to speak and shaping things to sound like Pitbulls and Rottweilers doesn't make any sense, or it was the opinion of someone and reported as such. If they cared one way or another, they wouldn't be shooting dogs in front of cameras.

The most obvious conclusion is the reporter simply called it as he saw it . . . . and pitbulls and rottweilers do exist in New Orleans.

EDIT: The quote from the CTV story: "A lot of these animals are pit bulls, rottweilers. We're not approaching the dogs if we can help it," says Jitm Metza, a U.S. Coast Guard searcher.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...25948027397_25

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Last edited by Rick C; September 10th, 2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

You might be right Rick,I have seen several desperate Pits and Rotties and the danger being they form packs to survive.
But are they any less worthy to save than any other dog??
As for BSL,yes I am saddened about what our government is doing,as you might know I don't have any dogs,only 3 cats...but that certainly does not mean I am not concerned about all the unfortunate dogs out there.
Old September 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
You might be right Rick,I have seen several desperate Pits and Rotties and the danger being they form packs to survive.
But are they any less worthy to save than any other dog??
As for BSL,yes I am saddened about what our government is doing,as you might know I don't have any dogs,only 3 cats...but that certainly does not mean I am not concerned about all the unfortunate dogs out there.
I wasn't disagreeing with you in principle . . . . I just disagreed with the inference the reporter was willingly shaping the news at the command of the local authorities.

Minor miff on my part.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old September 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I read on an animal rescue-site,they believe there are 50.000 animals out there either dead or trying to survive the best they can.
So far about 1.000 have been rescued,which is better than none.
I just found it suspect that these 5 dogs were described as being only Rotties and Pits.
Old September 10th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
I read on an animal rescue-site,they believe there are 50.000 animals out there either dead or trying to survive the best they can.
So far about 1.000 have been rescued,which is better than none.
I just found it suspect that these 5 dogs were described as being only Rotties and Pits.
I found it suspect that the coast guard guy said: "A lot of these animals are pit bulls, rottweilers."

I wouldn't believe that for a second. . . . not from the evidence you've seen on the video clips nor the dogs that are being rescued.

But . . . . like I said, that just means I have a beef with the coast guard guy.

However, I seriously doubt if some high mucky muck in the Coast Guard took the time to send an order into the trenches telling his guys to tell reporters that all dogs being left are pitts and rotties. It just sounds like the reporter talked to the wrong coast guard guy . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C
I found it suspect that the coast guard guy said: "A lot of these animals are pit bulls, rottweilers."

I wouldn't believe that for a second. . . . not from the evidence you've seen on the video clips nor the dogs that are being rescued.

But . . . . like I said, that just means I have a beef with the coast guard guy.

However, I seriously doubt if some high mucky muck in the Coast Guard took the time to send an order into the trenches telling his guys to tell reporters that all dogs being left are pitts and rotties. It just sounds like the reporter talked to the wrong coast guard guy . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

I didn't see the reporter but I did watch as the words came out of the mouth of a rescuer a couple of days ago. He said that there are 'rottwielers and pit bulls out there and I'm not going near any of them'.

His job was to save humans and I assume he was doing that best he could. Maybe he is scared of dogs, maybe he is cautious of dogs or maybe he just doesn't like dogs. However it didn't sound as if he was rescuing Labs and Poodles either.

From the pictures I'm seeing pits are being saved (New Orleans has a few) but I haven't seen a Rotti yet.