Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
No one seems to talk about cases where dogs are diagnosed with cancer and the owner just wants to make the best of time they have.
I did Not for Daisy because I let her go through 2 surgeries . But I knew better with Sam.

I'm so sorry about Molly otter. Of course you're sad , but I'm sure you'll be able to move on to the "let's enjoy Molly" stage. Just like I did for Daisy and Sam. We are here for you , and you know you can e-mail a gazillion times a day if you want , I will always reply
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, yeah...cats are exfoliators... Dogs are defoliators! We thought our trees were being eaten by deer.

How are you doing today, otter and Molly?
I always feel better after a giggle

Molly had a nice day... she got to visit with friends ALL day while mom slaved away at work so I could afford to spend most of my days pay on TOYS Oh well
She's off food again :sad:
Trying some new tummy settling, appetite enhancing drugs so hopefully she can at least keep down the prednisone I'm afraid to say how it's going cause that can curse things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Just wanted to chime in with a and to tell you breifly about my partner's experience with her first dog, Shaya. Shaya was diagnosed with terminal kidney failure (although never 100% sure, it was presumed to be due to cancer) at the age of 6 and was given about 6 months to live. Although surgery and chemo were not options DW did everything she could think of to prolong her time with her beloved girl, from sub-q fluids to medications, to special diets to constant vet visits and pain killers and...in the end, nothing could be done and her heart was still broken when she finally had to say goodbye. She told me later that, if she had to go through it all again (god forbid), she wouldn't have tried all the "heroic measures" that were offered to her. She just would have enjoyed each day, spoiled Shaya rotten, let her eat anything she wanted, and listened better when Shaya was telling her it was time. 5+ years later, she still holds that view. It's never an easy decision, but sometimes the treatments are harder on our pets than the illness, you know?
A lot to take to heart from your story bendyfoot. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Oh otter, I'm sorry to hear about Molly having cancer. I don't have any personal experience dealing with it, but thought you might be interested in some links. There is a wonderful veterinary oncologist (Dr. Alice Villalobos) who coined the concept of Pawspice care. Similar to human hospice, the goal is to make the animal as comfortable as possible in their final days. She also has the best Quality of Life Scale I've seen. Perhaps some of this info will be helpful to you:
http://www.thehealthyplanet.com/oct08_pawspice.htm
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...-pet-care.aspx
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...-for-pets.aspx
I'm gonna check those out... I like the idea of Pawspice. Maybe just what i'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriann27 View Post
I'm so sorry what you're going through!!! I lost my cat to cancer this year.

My prayers are with you.
I'm so sorry little

I've run out of quotes to get to everyone ... you all have such sage wisdom to share and I so appreciate it all. I really struggle with second guessing myself at every turn. Can I just come and give each and everyone of you a huge ?
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I did Not for Daisy because I let her go through 2 surgeries . But I knew better with Sam.

I'm so sorry about Molly otter. Of course you're sad , but I'm sure you'll be able to move on to the "let's enjoy Molly" stage. Just like I did for Daisy and Sam. We are here for you , and you know you can e-mail a gazillion times a day if you want , I will always reply
How could I say nobody talks about it ... Frenchy, you have been such a huge part of my care of Molly and all the advice and compassion you have shared here at pets.ca and with me personally. Sam's story sticks very close to my heart, your sharing helped me so much to deal with the moment at the vets office when I heard the diagnosis and immediately opened my mind to the idea of living life to it's fullest, just the way it is.
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
-

Quote:
How could I say nobody talks about it ...
That's ok otter ! You have more serious things to think about right now

and I think I've read someone's post saying the animals don't know they have cancer ? Very true. I made a point to always be extra happy around Sam (but I usually always do it because Nelly needs it) but would "explain things" to Sam.
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.caninecancerawareness.org

This link I found to be a good resource..

The Faces of Courage wall is very inspiring..
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
That's ok otter ! You have more serious things to think about right now

and I think I've read someone's post saying the animals don't know they have cancer ? Very true. I made a point to always be extra happy around Sam (but I usually always do it because Nelly needs it) but would "explain things" to Sam.
Molly and I talk alot these days I remember your conversations with Sam, I think that's where I got the idea. Talking always helps to calm me down too so hopefully if we "discuss" things she won't sense my anxiety so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post

I will check it out. All these web sites, info, etc. it's a bit scary how much cancer affects EVERYTHING and everyone :sad:

Right now i'm hooked on this site... http://landofpuregold.com/home.html
amazing, a cancer site dedicated to Golden Retrievers and cancer. I was shocked/horrified to read that 63% of Goldens will die of cancer :sad:
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree...omg quite shocking..

That one i posted offers financial assistance if needed for treatment..
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Wow DM... I only read a couple of stories but they were actually ones like ours. Thanks so much for that link... just what I needed!
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Molly & Sam should be added to it... or even the rest of the ones we have lost
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I agree...omg quite shocking..

That one i posted offers financial assistance if needed for treatment..
I sure wish we could buy ourselves out of this..
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:51 PM
-

Quote:

Right now i'm hooked on this site... http://landofpuregold.com/home.html
Our rescue accountant (volunteer) died about a month ago from cancer. None of us knew about it. :sad: All the donations at his funeral were made to land of pure gold (if I'm not mistaken , I know it was for golden's cancer) upon his request. :sad:

Peter was a true golden lover.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:02 PM
-

Somehow I missed this thread.

Have you tried elevating Molly's dish to see if she will eat? My last husky had liver cancer and as the tumour grew it was pushing against her stomach and she didn't want to eat. I found that elevating her food dish helped.
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Somehow I missed this thread.

Have you tried elevating Molly's dish to see if she will eat? My last husky had liver cancer and as the tumour grew it was pushing against her stomach and she didn't want to eat. I found that elevating her food dish helped.
Many cancerous tumors, like this kind , excrete a sensor to the brain that blocks the hunger feeling. Enticing them with what ever you can help but does not always work.
Jesse was a food whore...garbage had to be secured every day! When she fell ill even a steak would not entice her to eat.
I am so hoping peace can be found here. Nutrical for a boost maybe..but listen to her needs and wants right now. She will tell you .
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Otter I am so sorry to hear about Molly. My heart goes out to you and her for what lies ahead. I have lost 3 dogs this year the last to cancer.

My best bud for eleven and a half years Boomer was diagnosed the last week of October. I can't imagine how my vet felt when she realised she had to tell me knowing I had already lost 2 since March. She felt from her experience that we may have 2 to 4 wks before we would feel he was bad enough to pts. It was only 8 days later when I felt that keeping him going any longer would only be for my sake and not his. That was 6 wks ago. I still miss him dearly. When I went places he was my shadow and never met a stranger.

Those last 8 days though were tough but we stayed basically to the way things always were but with abit more loving and even more one on one then we usually did. He didn't have the energy or breath (lung cancer) to do the running around and jumping and acting silly that we did every evening when I got home from work so we would just set together on the steps watching the world go by while I told him how much he had meant to me (he was with me through some tough times in my life) and how much I would miss him.

I'm old enough to have outlived alot of pets and it never gets easier. I still think of them all and remember them well.

Didn't mean to ramble on so much. My thoughts are with you and Molly. Love her all you can now and enjoy this last bit of time yall have together.

along with; Dixie, Angel, Dex, Leroy, Babygirl, Harley, Chubby, Jasper, Katie and ole buckethead; Samson

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

No advice except to love her with all of you. I know you will.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Otter lotsa loving thats what I say! and Winston wants to send a little message to Molly...Dont let your Mom do this! well maybe you should I got lots of cookies!

Hugs and slobbery kisses from Winston alias Rudolph!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

oops mom forgot this!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
-

Winston would look so good under my x-mas tree (ok ok I don't have one this year but I would manage )
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston...my Mom took your advice Thanks, love Molly

I really wanted to keep this post off the pages during the holidays... everyone has enough to think about and it can be a tough time at the best of times

Time now for a little update:

We've been playing as much as possible, visiting with friends and chewing through toys like crazy... it's nice to see Miss Molly still enjoying so much of life.
It's sometimes hard to hear people saying "she looks so good", cause I know there is an implied "considering" involved. Now, don't get me wrong, i'm thrilled she looks good, acts like all is right with the world but, it does mean that I must remind myself that it can all end very quickly:sad:.

My stress level is through the roof on a constant basis, with each sigh, I worry, if she looks at me odd, I worry, if she just can't get comfy, I worry... it all worries me... what if this is the end :sad:

We play like we always have, even if it causes problems at least I know she was enjoying herself. She's eating the oddest diet ever... she'll only eat meat so she's gotten BBQ chicken, chicken fingers, chicken breast, legs, ground beef, liver, turkey, you name it!
I worry that i've thrown good nutrition to the wind at the expense of having her keep eating... hard to know how to weight the values of each.

I can't thank you all enough for all of your kind words... you make this fight possible
Coping is not easy but I sure do appreciate the help
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Otter we all love Molly and thats why we are here for you both! I personally have not had to deal with what your dealing with but I would do exactly what you are doing.

My stress level would be high too but please try to just enjoy each day..if you get sick that wont make things any easier! (easier said than done I know!)

Are you off work for a few days or do you have to go back this week?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Otter, I'm sorry you're having to go through this with Molly. We lost our bedlington terrier, Ziggy, to lymphoma in the spring. Like you, I didn't find much to read about people who had decided not to treat the disease. And what I read about the lives of the dogs who were treated (like having to wear diapers because the medication caused them to lose bladder control) made me feel that treatment wasn't the best option for him.

We had the blood tests, biopsies and X-rays. As is usually the case with lymphoma, it was pretty well throughout his body before he showed any symptoms. There are 2 vets at our clinic. One wanted to treat him and the other agreed with me that it wouldn't be in his best interest. There was only a slight chance of a remission and even if we did get one, they rarely lasted more then 3 or 4 months. I didn't want the time he had left to be spent hungry and/or nauseous all the time.

We'd had several pets that we'd had to let go in the past and honestly, I started to wonder if we'd always made the best choices for them - in all cases we did whatever we could to prolong their lives. This time, we were determined that it would be about him and his quality of life. We put him on low carb, lightly cooked raw food because carbohydrates feed tumours. Our clinic had a holistic vet who came in once a week and we also saw her. She prescribed some traditional Chinese herbs to try to slow down the process and keep him comfortable.

We agreed that as soon as we felt he was uncomfortable or ceasing to be himself, we'd put him down, and that day came about a month after our first vet visit for this problem.

During that time, we tried to focus on living with him rather than watching him die. We tried to keep to his routine and just appreciate the time we had with him. It was just as hard to let him go, but at least we felt that we let him go before he suffered too much instead of waiting until we were ready to say goodbye.

Enjoy every minute you have with Molly. I'm sure she continues to enjoy every minute she spends with you.
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Otter we all love Molly and thats why we are here for you both! I personally have not had to deal with what your dealing with but I would do exactly what you are doing.

My stress level would be high too but please try to just enjoy each day..if you get sick that wont make things any easier! (easier said than done I know!)

Are you off work for a few days or do you have to go back this week?

Cindy
Thankfully, I have the week off...and we are enjoying every moment we have. I don't even want to think about what i'm going to do when I have to go back to work :sad:

I'm working on keeping the stress level at a manageable level.... you guys here are sure helping Sometimes the oddest things set me off, a little rant and I can think straight again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdick View Post
Otter, I'm sorry you're having to go through this with Molly. We lost our bedlington terrier, Ziggy, to lymphoma in the spring. Like you, I didn't find much to read about people who had decided not to treat the disease. And what I read about the lives of the dogs who were treated (like having to wear diapers because the medication caused them to lose bladder control) made me feel that treatment wasn't the best option for him.

We put him on low carb, lightly cooked raw food because carbohydrates feed tumours. Our clinic had a holistic vet who came in once a week and we also saw her. She prescribed some traditional Chinese herbs to try to slow down the process and keep him comfortable.

During that time, we tried to focus on living with him rather than watching him die. We tried to keep to his routine and just appreciate the time we had with him. It was just as hard to let him go, but at least we felt that we let him go before he suffered too much instead of waiting until we were ready to say goodbye.

Enjoy every minute you have with Molly. I'm sure she continues to enjoy every minute she spends with you.
Ziggy

You showed such compassion and love for your little one, letting them go in peace and comfort while he still remembered what living was all about

thank you so much for sharing your story with me... I know sharing can be painful but I am truly grateful

I'd be curious to know a little more about how feeding went with your Ziggy, if you are ok with sharing a bit more... did Lymphoma affect appetite, cause nausea? I'm really struggling with diet these days ... the vet is not much help in this area. Supplements etc. are troubling cause it's hard enough to get her to eat, if I "contaminate" the food in anyway she looks at me like i'm trying to poison her I want to get the best I can into her but it is critical to me that she keep eating something... right now she eats ONLY meat
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Remembering Lukka

I didn't realize that Molly has cancer. I'm so sorry.
I will be thinking of you and Molly
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Lukka'sma I was just thinking about you earlier
All you went through and about how beautiful little Mishka is lighting up your life now
You give me strength
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
-

otter , I think right now , you shouldn't worry about what you're feeding her, as long as she eats ! Having been there twice , I know now that I went too far with Daisy , when she stopped eating , I would come up with something new , she would eat only because I was hand feeding her and coaxing her , I feel like she was eating only for me. I think that was a bit much ....

the only thing they recommand for dogs with cancer is the grain free kibble or the raw diet. Thanks to LP , Sam was on raw , but it made him sick after a while and I had to go back to kibble. I didn't like it , but you do what you gotta do , you know ?

we're here for you
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Frenchy
I don't know how you did it, with all you have going on

Molly hasn't been into kibble for quite some time now but, she still seems to enjoy eating when I find something she likes (hmmm Molly, what flavour of meat do you want tonight??) ... I never force her to eat though, we try something, if she doesn't go for it, i'll try again later with something else (or the same thing). Really, she just eats meat now (well except for her occasional break where she'll eat canned food), the odd human cookie or bit of oatmeal, rice, potato or ?? sometimes. I can only hope it's enough to sustain her . I do cook it though... she won't eat raw

She's still into playing Poops are pretty much better than they ever were when she ate kibble , she still loves her Cuz and other than the odd eating habits seems to be maintaining her doggy ways (with a bit slower pace - thanks to Mom calling it quits earlier now) (madame hazel.... ya got that margarine handy again?? Think we could use another dollop )

I've got a good idea of where quality of life needs to be.... I just gotta stop worrying I guess, she'll tell me when I think
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think she'll tell you 'when', too, otter. It's so wonderful that she's still playing and enjoying her time with mom.

Now, I must go and add to the margarine deposit!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
-

You're doing good with her otter , don't worry (ok I know , easy to say!) Molly has such good spirits and a mommy that loves her very very much , that will help her
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I think she'll tell you 'when', too, otter. It's so wonderful that she's still playing and enjoying her time with mom.

Now, I must go and add to the margarine deposit!

I think one of the hardest things to deal with is the fact that there may not be a "when" moment... this is a silent killer, often, it just "happens" ... for some reason that makes it hard for me to deal with though it's really the best way, no trauma of vets, etc. sleep just takes them away :sad:. For me very hard, for Molly peace
I'm sooooo struggling with how do I prepare myself for that moment. I try and plan out what i'm going to do, where will I take her, but I know every time I come up to her and she's sleeping deeply and unresponsive my heart stops.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM
-

Quote:
I'm sooooo struggling with how do I prepare myself for that moment.
I don't think you can prepare. It's hard but you'll know what to do. Because you love Molly so much.