Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Ahh yes the barn that love built ......bit corny I know

Lots of well wishes for Roy & his multi-tasking appts

Nice to have a month to ready the new KK Farm and Feral Estate plus be able execute the family move purrfectly

everything goes as planned or dreamt

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww K-K,things must just be whirring in your head,between cats,new dog,horses packing etc..WOW
But it will be exciting,I am sure,be prepared for kitty-problems,you know they HATE changes and a new dog to boot.
If you are anything like me,you'll be teary-eyed leaving your old place,heck I even cried when my old Camaro was sold and left the drive-way,as if it was a pet
But you'll love more space and we will look forward to lot's of pics once you're settled.
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Smile

growler and chico2, you're the best! I'm going to have to send you each some sort of Tuna/Catnip gift basket! I sooooo appreciate your ongoing interest and advice (an angel for each of you till I can catch some tuna, and pick some catnip!)!

I did get a couple of pics of Roy-the-Dawg yesterday. He is in his dogrun, so there's some chainlink in the way; Roy is a house dog, but there were so many insurance/tradesmen/me and DH!! going through the house, that Roy stayed outside (he's over 100 lbs...outweighs me by a bit ).

We're planning to pick up Roy from the 'widow farm vendor who's moving to town' on Sunday; we'll bring him back to La Ferme TINY, and integrate-by-ear!! (DH will be doing pony/heat stuff at the new place, and I'll be here for a while packing/cleaning etc.-the two places are only an hour apart, so DH and I will still be 'co-crittering'!)

Roy has an appointment for his neuter/vacc's etc. next week...
Attached Images

Old June 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww K-K thank you,but your posts are soo fun and interesting to read,I click on them as soon as I see a new one
Ithat Ole Roy will like cats and I don't mean to eat.
He looks like a nice dawg,hopefully he is.
I forgot,but I think you already have a pup,right??
Good Luck on Sunday when you pick him up,he will probably miss the widow for a while,hope she does not take losing her pup too hard.
One good thing,she knows you'll be wonderful to him and for him(except for the snipping of his little thingys)
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Question

...another quick "thx chico2!" We do have 2 other 'pupsters': Sadie 'Indistructodog' Jack Russell (8 yrs.), and Freyjy 'Weldtschmerz-y Einstein' Border ColliexAustralian Cattle Dog (14 yrs.). Roy is apparently not a cat chaser, which is good!

I'm not worried about Sadie at all, regarding moving and the new dog issue, but Frejya is a bit of a concern. When we moved out here, she was 3, and even then did not take well to the change i.e. would leap into the car at any opportunity (and was difficult to remove :sad:!!).

She eventually grew to love country life, but her bout of that 'SLO' (weird toenail-affecting autoimmune disease) last year was hard on her; her hearing and sight are age-compromised, and she sleeps a lot. Moving, PLUS some huge young lug of a dog will surely not thrill her...

Roy will be coming here first, so it'll be our dog's territory, and we're planning to limit him to a crate/cage and/or separate room at first, especially with the cats wandering around, as well. If anyone has any tips on crate vs. cage (we have crates for all the other critters), and also soothing Frejya's nerves (aside from Rescue Remedy/Pup Valium-kidding/keeping her special 'bed' off limits to others etc.), I'm all ears!

p.s. Freyja and Sadie are quite close...
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:44 AM

aww Roy is a handsome boy, from the picture his teeth look nice clean & white - a good sign for a healthy

I think giving Freyjy some special alone time w/her humans (if she's the cuddly-type) is a good idea, if she has a treat she really likes to give her that separately as well. You know her body language, so you can tell if she is getting stressed if that happens you can call her to another room for some down time. If you have a spot that "her" bed is in that can't be accessed or is made "off limits" so she has some breathing space around it so as not to feel crowded.....like if it is in a corner or beside a desk have that partially blocked off with a few extra feet around her. She may surprise you and take to Roy right away

I mentioned in your other thread - I prefer open crate, gives you more options now & later with regards to visibility (drop a blanket over it for a den/nest), size (they can be sectioned smaller), versatility, plus most are foldable & easier to clean

Old July 4th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile Roy, at home...

...intended to post more efficiently i.e. quickly, but as you might imagine, since bringing Roy here (present tiny farm) on Monday evening things have been a tad on the busy side . But in a largely GOOD way, I'm pleased to report. I won't go into much detail right now-3 yr. old Roy had his first, and VERY comprehensive vet visit Thursday, and we're all pretty tuckered out-except to say that Roy is integrating very amiably with dogs/ponies/cats.

Not to say that there hasn't been the odd hiss etc., but everyone is starting to settle down; Frejya-the-SENSITIVE-senior has not gone into a blue funk , which has been a great relief! Both Sadie and Freyja greeted Roy in a friendly fashion when he arrived back from his mega-session at the clinic (Roy is a few ounces lighter , vaccinated, and tested neg. heartworm...also has his h'worm pills, so much $$$$ for the big dog size !)

I've got a couple of good Roy-anecdotes already , but right now I'll just post a pic or two...

p.s. used 'baby gate' barriers-left over from Freyja's youthful hijinks!-for Roy's first day or two, but just lucked into an XL cage (long story!); Roy has been fine so far, but the other 2 dogs have crates. What with the various feline personalities, we crate the canines if we're both out of the house for more than a few minutes...first pic is Roy sacked out quite happily in his 'den'; he's adapted to the cage very easily.
Attached Images

Last edited by kashtin's kin; July 4th, 2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Good news on all things vet wise for Roy He looks mighty comfy having a in there.

WTG on the XL crate always good to have especially for the farm moving days ahead can always pop a few kitties in there if need be --- of course without the in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
She may surprise you and take to Roy right away
Ah ha see Frejya did good

Old July 4th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Yep, your optimism always seems justified, growler; it's as if the critters can hear you! (I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom-I'm really quite positive !-but I do tend to over-fret when faced with potentially challenging scenarios.

Below are hopefully 2 more pics I somehow messed up when trying to post with the one photo in the above post...Roy visiting with DH, and Roy and Pepper sussing each other out...(oops, we don't generally leave dog bones lying around to create potential conflict-blush)
Attached Images

Last edited by kashtin's kin; July 4th, 2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:18 AM

That's a nice Hello, how are you pic

Pepper looks good and in control of the new dog situation: Yes dawg you stay there I'm goin' over here

I'll bet Roy was very happy to see so many new fur buddies

Old July 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Phew,I am sooo glad everything worked out with Roy,he is very handsome by the way
He does not seem to miss his former owner at all,that's great!!
I bet he'll have the time of his life with all your critters
Pepper is such a brave,beautiful kitty
You sure are going to have your hands full when you move and then getting everyone used to the new place..lot's of fun ahead
Hope you have lots of help!!
Thank's for keeping us in the know
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kashtinskin! OMG Ole Roy looks like he could be my Winston's brother??? Winston came from some farm out near Simcoe??

Cindy
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

i love reading all these post i'm so far behind on the board. The dogs look so similar they could be twins. love the look on the cat face. "do i have to walk by?"

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Big Roy thanks everyone for their good wishes!! He wishes he could type this himself (like Pepper , for instance!), but his paws are just too darn huge!

Winston, your 'Winston' sure does look like a clone of Roy-or vice versa! I was going to ask the woman who sold us her place where she got that big dawg, but things have been so busy . I am planning to call her and give her a 'one week report' on Roy on Mon., so I'll ask then!

I know someone in Beamsville whose dog has a litter of largely chocolate labs every year; it would be strange if Roy was from there. By the way, Winston-the-person!, what kind of chocolate is your boy? I'm half Swiss, so Roy must be Swiss chocolate !

Sorry to go on a bit on the chocolate issue, but have you heard anything about choc's being a bit more high-strung than the black or yellow 'variety'? Someone mentioned that when I took Roy in for his intensive day at the clinic, er, spa! last week...

Your Winston looks very handsome and dignified; may I ask how much he weighs? I was convinced that Roy was heavier than me , but he's in fact about 10 lbs. less (app. 90 lbs.). I've seen miniature horses that are not much bigger than Roy!

I still have a Roystory-positively breathtaking !-or two to relate, but must get out to put the ponies to bed now...also, the FERALS who are the primary subject of this thread are getting a tad annoyed at all this dog stuff, and have put me on notice i.e. demanding their fair share of coverage (99%, according to WW and MM!!)!

p.s. below, WW & MM enjoying an afternoon siesta amongst the weeds in one of my perennial gardens (right at the back door!); I honestly left the weeds there for them, I'm not the slovenly gardener that I appear!
Attached Images

Old July 7th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww KK,the kitties look just beautiful,Iyou won't have any trouble moving them,they would die without your care:sad:
As for Choclate(I am a chocaholic by the way)he HAS been getting a bit too much coverage,don't blame the kitties for feeling slighted,after all they are the stars of these posts
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM

Nice to see WW & MM hanging out in close quarters completely on their own this will definately help in the move

Old July 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

WW and MM are adorable KK. Wow, that's a lot of initials in one sentence.
How is the move going? I guess the kitties are sensing some change is coming? Have you considered caging the outside ones a few days or so before you actually move them? I would be concerned with them being ex ferels that they will take off.
Remember if you need help - you know where I am.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

KK I cant get over the resemblance! mind you Winston is 8 so I guess they cant really be bro's but boy alot of similarities! Hope the move is going good and all the kitties too!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Yikes, am I ever out of touch; this 'farm to farm' move is a looong work-in-progress! I did grab a chunk of an hour about a week ago to post...then lost the dratted thing due to one of my technology/brain freezies . This time I'll have to pay closer attention!?

It'll be a real test, as I spent about 3 hours on an eccentric ol' lawn tractor today; my eyes feel poached, and my hands are kinda numb (it's an 'articulated' mower, so I was hauling on the steering wheel pretty good...even counter-balancing with my bodyweight on some nutty corners, as the thing seemed to work best in 5th gear ).

DH has the largest mess of an out-building almost transformed into a pony palace, which is nothing short of a semi-miracle: WOW. A week or 2?? ago we filled a huge commercial waste bin to the 8' top with crap!! from the abovementioned structure (plus misc. junk from here and there). I better not even start to describe that particular 'purge' !

The pipefitter etc. guy is still working with DH on and off (he's going through a divorce , so it's been a tad on the irregular side, but he does excellent work when he's not distracted!) to get the radiator heating system installed, so the house is in construction zone condition...DH did pull all the carpets out (rather have rough board floor-till we can put laminate in some day-than carpet!).

We're supposed to be doing the pony fencing in the next day or two, so that should be rather amusing/exhausting . As for THIS tiny farm, about 80%of stuff is packed; it's looked kind of 'imploded' for a while, and with 3 shedding dogs we're almost tripping over the drifts of hair. Once we basically shift everything to the new place, we'll be doing our present commute in reverse, fixing this place up a bit.

I tried to do a bit of painting last week, but between the humidity, and all my helpers, it was a bit of a disaster; an empty house is much easier to deal with. I'd like to do some painting in the new house before we move, but that goal is in the realm of total fantasy , alas.

As for les CRITTERS, everyone is doing pretty well. If the ponies won't travel together on the ponymobile (Ponyface is used to having the whole thing to herself), I'll just get a commercial hauler to pick 'em up; having one stay here in a state of hysterics during the 4 hours she would be alone-let alone the other pony undergoing separation anxiety at the new place-is simply not worth it.

Moving Les Ferals is still very much on my mind; I've been feeding them both a yummy treat at bedtime for a month or so now, and MM is still happy to practice joining me in one of the big cat crates...but it's gonna be a 'Rescue Remedy' day for KK. I have to be very organized logistics-wise, and have a basic strategy, but at the same time be prepared to wing it!

Just as in the case of trapping/nabbing various members of WW's family, ya just never quite know how things will pan out; be prepared for anything, but try to anticipate as much as possible. I am just hopehopehoping that all goes relatively smoothly!?

Roy continues to be a loveable goof to have around, even though he does take up a lot of 'real estate'! He's got me on an unintentional jogging program, as we can't go safely off-leash here! I'll bet he'll be thrilled when he realizes he's back on his 12 acre spread!

I was in need of a wee bit of heart-defibrillating the day DH and I HAD to leave together to meet the waste bin people at the new place; we have pretty scrupulous 'critter containment' practices (i.e. buffer doors/areas to outside, so cats remain safely inside...none of them haunt the doorways, but ya never know). However, on that busy morning, DH and I had a 'Sparky miscommunication'.

That loveable lout is on somewhat of a 'musical rooms' routine that the hot weather has necessitated; his usual upstairs suite is a sauna, so he's been rotating downstairs, so to speak. (He gets lots of visits, but must be supervised, darn his pesky violent streak.) At any rate, that a.m. we were in an organized? sort of rush, and I'd installed Sparky in the back porch...when DH came back in to grab something, not realizing brat boy was there.

Yup, you guessed it, the Sparkster decided to wander outside; we frantically searched the cavernous old basement to no avail, and with a sinking heart I went out to scan our property. Right away, I spied WW hanging around the Ponymobile; it used to be the kitty buffet location, but hasn't been for quite some time.

Sure enough, when I took a cautious peek under the trailer, there was Mr. Sparks-crouched BIG eyed right in the middle, out of reach needless to say. I keep emergency 'pony bait' oats in a container by the back door, and TUNA fulfills this function in the case of cats; DH got me a dish of fish right quick, and Sparky came close enough for me to gently get my hand around him and ease him into my arms .

GOOD!! WW, for her detective work, and thank heavens for the trust S-boy has placed in me; he was totally docile as I 'snuggled' him back to the house. So, all's well that ends well...but I could do without the heart palpitations in between-eeeeeeee.

Guess that's the 'catsup express' for now. I should really post a pic of WW receiving her Recover Son!! merit badge, or one of the walkabout boy himself. However, the handiest one I have is the one I'd planned to post last week before my untimely malfunction; it's ROY, shown just plain relaxing (wish I could look as beguilingly sanguine!).

p.s. I haven't called you yet, '14+', but I will be any day now-only hope that it will be during a 'quieter' time for you; it gives me a much needed morale boost just to know that I'll be able to consult you regarding feral moving strategy...PLEASE don't be on vacation (as a feral organizer/mama et al., that is highly unlikely??)! I'd better get in touch soonest, and THX in advance!
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:25 AM

oh what adventures that silly Sparky gets himself into

WW for keeping an eye (only & paws off ) the wandering tabby son

Sounds like everything else is heading in the right direction (divorcing distractions not withstanding )

for all the rest that needs doing

Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

K-K,I completely missed your funny,entertaining post all I can say,I am glad I am not the one moving
Bad Sparky for getting himself in trouble
Got to go,duty calls,in the form of 3 hungry kitties..
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Thanks for the encouraging words-encore/as ever-you wunnerful feral followers, esp. above (literally!). A decade-long simmering situation with the 'glowering un-neighbourlies' sort of escalated today...no open warfare, but only because I hunkered down in the house and basically played possum .

THIS is a major factor with our decision to move; avoidance has been our tactic, but it's not a good situation. With the ferals and the ponies living outside, I'm on tenterhooks; DH says to dial it down, and baby bro' advises me to nap if possible. Sooo, stressFULL but hopefully things will not go too 'pear-shaped'...oy.

We are accelerating our moving plans (heck with the 1/2 installed heating and all the reno mess-we'll camp out). I am feeding WW and MM extra tuna/treats tonight; if they continue to be their canny, 'shadowy around strangers' selves, they will be okay. It's just not logistically practical to nab them right now, just as I can't move the ponies pronto.

It should be possible by the end of the w'end...I would sooooo go on a um, very messy rampage, if a hair on the ferals or ponies is touched. Seriously, can I call you from the Big House?? Don't worry, I'm not advocating violence or criminal behaviour, simply alluding to what most of us would do for the furbuddies we love.

Sorry, I hope I don't sound too dramatic...it's just been one loooong and adrenalin-filled day.

p.s. on a more 'normal' note, I've switched the indoor litter boxes to Feline Fresh, growler (based on your endorsement, not that this is an ad!), and I'm really pleased. No problems with the gradual switch, and now the boxes smell like horse stalls bedded in wood shavings. Still some 'tracking' bits, but cats just don't go for the doormat idea . I do like the environmentally friendlier wood , as opposed to clay...I'm so tired of litter dust, and in the new place there is no basement/upstairs to put the boxes.
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh KK! What an adventure you have been on!! I have been MIA for a couple of days (my email explained to you) but am now back home. Let me know what/when I can help. Even if it's just moral support! Sending lots of for the accelerated move.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Awwww K-K,stress,stress,stress,it will get better..I think
I'll just be soooo worried WW and MM will get lost:sad:at the new place.
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Red face

Thanks 14+ (just sent you an email), and chico2...what WOULD WW and MM do without your 'patronage' ?? Just a quick update to say that an almost certainly ICKY situation was downgraded/mitigated by my DH's amazing coolness/control!/intuitive reasoning/strength; think I'm gonna start calling him 'Nelson Gandhi', or 'Mahatma Mandela.

No disrespect to these amazing public figures, BTW...but if DH were to head the UN, world peace might really be feasible!! Soooo, the accelerated move has been downgraded to sooner, but not this weekend; most important of all, I feel the ferals and ponies are not threatened-big WHEW all round.

Apologies for getting my knickers in a twist, but yesterday (after the decade + of living on our own version-again, not to be facetious-of the Gaza Strip), things just sort of coelesced in such an ALMOST worst case scenario. Such a relief to have everything 'dialled down', as prison orange is so not my colour; really washes out the ol' complexion .

Now that the dust has settled, I have to go list our little farm with the Hell's Angel's real estate office...teehee. I'll let you know when we're actually on the verge of the move, as in 'ferals nabbed' etc.

p.s. that silly MM is such a nut-took AGES for him to 'come around' (vs. WW, who was no pushover herself), and now I find it hard to get him OUT of the back porch; I can even close the door, and open it every once in a while, till he FINALLY deigns to exit! Alas, being in a cage-albeit large-will bring out his alter-ego, I know...oh and chico, I too fret immensely about the idea of the ferals being released on the new property, but I have 14+ to consult with...and it would be done after a fair amount of time (so they would have a chance to sort of get their kitty heads around the idea of new territory i.e. planning to release them in a small outbuilding first for a while etc.)

Last edited by kashtin's kin; July 25th, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sure it will all work out and MM and WW will be fine,after all,you are looking after them.
I remember crying buckets when 3 of Catsnatchers kitties(semi-feral) were moved to a barn to hopefully get a better life,one little girl just took off and was never seen again:sad:
Your DH,sounds like a wonderful guy in all this mess,be sure to give him lots of hugs,ok
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM
150% PRO S/N

but I have 14+ to consult with...and it would be done after a fair amount of time (so they would have a chance to sort of get their kitty heads around the idea of new territory i.e. planning to release them in a small outbuilding first for a while etc.)

And you know I will be there with bells on to help you KK!!

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashtin's kin View Post
p.s. on a more 'normal' note, I've switched the indoor litter boxes to Feline Fresh, growler (based on your endorsement, not that this is an ad!), and I'm really pleased. No problems with the gradual switch, and now the boxes smell like horse stalls bedded in wood shavings. Still some 'tracking' bits, but cats just don't go for the doormat idea . I do like the environmentally friendlier wood , as opposed to clay...I'm so tired of litter dust, and in the new place there is no basement/upstairs to put the boxes.
Good to hear and I find that my Duffy does tend to kick a wee bit out of the box but it never leaves the bathroom, so I just have a tiny broom & dust pan (made for tent use actually) with the scoop

They have a loyalty program buy 6 bags get one free http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/frequent.htm .........they do have horse bedding too heehee

Think if I sent all the posts of recommendations I've made to members, the company would sent me something

I'm glad dh could temper the fires for a bit , YAY!! for MM liking the crate setup on the porch too for easier nabbing that way

for smooth sailing all the way

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

It is so great to think of having a Fellow Feral Carer nice and close; I'm so looking forward to 'sharing territory' with 14+; wow, and you even wear bells, so we're already co-ordinated !

Yup, chico2, I am sooo lucky to have the fab DH in residence (mind you, I did have to smooch a toad or 2 before I hit the jackpot!). And although I don't flatter myself that WW and MM are totally devoted to me-ha!-I do feel that we have developed a pretty deep bond amongst ourselves.

Plus, les ferals are quite chummy with the ponies; hopefully when they get over the initial confusion of all the change, they will realize that they are in a barn with their buddies (and with me to attend to the 'restricted movement' period of their transition).

I don't want to be overconfident at all re: the nabbing for travel etc. at this point, but I must be positive, and cultivate my calm/positive 'aura' in order to have the best chance for a good outcome...
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Thumbs up

OMG, OMG, OMG...I'm not much for all those 'net/texting acronyms, but I'm still shaky-in a good way -as I sit here at the keyboard; good thing this isn't handwritten, 'cuz it would be total chickenscrawl !! And that is because...THE FERALS HAVE LANDED! My apologies for 'shouting', but WW and MM are in 2 medium dog crates in the back porch as I type this!

We've spent the past 6 weeks or so on a rigourous tuna-snacking schedule (i.e. aligned with pony bedtime, which has gotten later and later due to all this moving craziness), and for the past couple of weeks I've been bringing WW briefly into the porch for a quick brushing (it calms her...and me!). I'd also instituted rubbing a couple of face clothes over each cat, in order to have their signature! scents in the crates. Last of all, I started wearing jeans and a jacket for late chores (as opposed to shorts and a t-shirt), so as not to 'surprise' those wary ferals; they really take exception to changes in attire/hats...even walking/talking a bit differently-picky, picky.

Anyhow, I've been increasingly on edge for the last day or two, knowing that the 'nab endeavour' was just around the corner. And tonight didn't begin too auspiciously, in that when I stepped out laden with pony pails, MM was engaged in a standoff with a very recent drop-in TOM (I'm going to try to trap him next week). I did the requisite hissing and "gits!", which separated the cats...but then had to worry re: whether MM would come back for tuna, or get carried away with his neutered-yet-macho posturing.

As I did chores, WW stuck around, so I just took my time-calm, cool, and collected in the most fraudulent way-and luckily MM decided tuna was more alluring than chest-thumping. Sooo, I proceeded with Plan A, and picked WW up carefully for the few seconds she will tolerate it, placed her in the porch, and commenced brushing. Sure enough, MM followed us in the open door; he's the 'porch dude' alright .

When MM was away from the door, I took my non-brush hand and quickly pushed it shut; I think that's the third or fourth catnabslam, so I'm a bit experienced...but it's always a heart-thumper . Then, before WW and MM could collect their feral kitty thoughts, I placed first WW and then MM in their respective crates, open-and with boxcaves in the rear. With the doors closed, I expected both cats to retreat to their boxes; but they seemed more bemused than horrified.

I left them for a few minutes, then came back with bowls of tuna, which I was able to put in the crates without incident; WW and MM even started eating. And...that's where we are right now, so to speak. When I finish this Nab Report, I'm planning to put their mini-litterboxes in the crates, then drap a sheet over them for the night. All has been fairly quiet so far, but I am aware that MM and WW are not just cozy domestic cats; I'll have to stay calm, but be alert and Boy Scout-prepared for any eventuality.

Hopefully both cats will remain reasonably 'amenable', as they are transported by car to the new farm in about 12 hours. I have the large cat cages in the pony palace, along with litterboxes/boxcaves etc., but I ran out of time in terms of getting the cages set up; I'll have to do that when we arrive. The ponies are scheduled to pull up in the ponymobile at about the same time; once they are in their stalls, I'll close up the little pony palace, and transfer Les Ferals...with ANY luck , that transfer will go alright.

I know thus far this long-awaited 'exercise' sounds like a bit of a yawn??!!, but that is all due to luck, MM and WW's tuna obsession!, and a LOT of exhaustive planning and sort of 'test runs' (except without the all-important crating phase!). My hands are steadier now, so I guess my heart rate must be down from it's hummingbird speed . I'd better get those litter boxes in the crates...and then I just have to prepare the crates for the feline indoor crowd. Yeesh.

This farm-to-farm move complete with 3 dogs/8 cats (incl. WW & MM)/2 ponies is a gigantic logistical challenge, one which I DO hope never to repeat! So many lists, so much reno stuff, so many 3 hour round trips from farm 1 to farm 2 over the past couple of months; DH and I are really running on fumes at this point. Oh well, we're getting there, so just gotta keep plugging for a bit longer; I'm sure once we are living in an 'un-imploded' house we'll look back on all this chaos and laugh and laugh...heh heh.

p.s. growler, thank for the Feline Fresh tips !