Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM

Dash getting neutered - tips?

Hey ya'll!

This coming Monday Dash is finally getting neutered. I'm very nervous even though I know it's probably one of the most common procedures and dont every day. He's a very hyper dog and I know that they will give us some medication for after but I'm worried about keeping him calm. This is our first dog and we're just asking for some pointers if anyone has any. We just don't want to do anything wrong and we want him to have a quick and healthy recovery!

Thanks guys
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Taking him out on leash for 5 days or so will help minimize complications. Inside, try to keep him from jumping up on furniture for a few days... But for the most part, if you can prevent him from hard running or playing, you shouldn't have any troubles.

I was ill with pneumonia when we had Cole done and couldn't take him out on leash during the day. I had him confined to the small yard when he was let out, but he'd see something and, of course, go running across to the fence to check it out. Of the three boys, he was the only one we had any complications with and I'm sure they were from the extra exercise...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
-

Best wishes Dash! A "friend" of mine went through this with his little guy last week and did so many things just-plain-wrong I wanted to strangle him.

The first is diet. Try to get as much water into his food (in broth form if you don't do raw/ homecook) as you can the day before the surgery. Anaesthesia and pain meds can be very constipating. Do not give him any real bones for the three days preceding surgery. Again: constipation. He likely won't want to eat his evening meal but plan to have on hand skinless boneless chicken breasts and either some rice or potatoes. Bland but nutritious are the key words.

Cider Vinegar is a natural anti-biotic which you can start adding to his diet now.

And of course the usual no climbing, no jumping, no frisbee, no running with scissors.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM

Avoid extraneous exercise like play dates or wrestling with your family. Maybe try to grab him to pick him up rather than letting him jump up onto the couch himself. You can try crating, but some dogs just get mad and excited about that. Try relaxing things like giving him belly rubs and massages, maybe bring out a favourite or new chew toy.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
-

Ohhhhhh....you want advice on how to keep him calm. Pfffttttt...what do I know about calm????

Buddy, is a 1 1/2 yr old JRT mix ~ he actually kept himself calm, slept alot and was back to rights within two days. Picking him up for the first two days was tricky though. Ugh, and the new collar design. What a PITA that is.

Brody, my pup-phew, who could give a Tazmanian devil a run for his money, slept for most of the next day as well but they kept him crated or tethered to them unless he was going out for a walk, in which case he was always on a very short lead (he's a jumper well, body-slammer technically )
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

They will give you a list with tips on how to keep your dog quiet after surgery. Or at least they should. Common sense (before I get told it's lacking again, I know ) says not to go run a marathon with him afterwards. Good luck. The little guy with do fine. A neuter is a pretty quick procedure. He won't be under for very long.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks guyss Good to know it shouldn't be too hard.

And mummummum - those tips were awesome too Thank you!

How many days until your dogs were left home alone after a neutering?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashn'us View Post
How many days until your dogs were left home alone after a neutering?
Probably about 10, but I'm a softie and he wanted to cuddle lots, milked it for all it was worth. Many people go out to a full-time job the very next day, but I would suggest confining him to a kennel or small room without jumping opportunities until the vet's deadline for restricted exercise.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

As I stated earlier - castration is a pretty easy operation. Most dogs (and cats) are back to their regular goofy selves the next day. The only time they aren't is if they are done later in life. As long as you follow what MX3 says and the vets' instructions Dash will do fine.
Is your vet keeping him overnight or is he a vet who lets them go home the same day?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post

And of course the usual no climbing, no jumping, no frisbee, no running with scissors.
And how often the vet neglects to remind us of this most fundamental of post-surgery rules!

Also, no standing up in a canoe, and of course, "Mom always said, don't play ball in the house!" ("Ouch! My nose!"... or am I mixing episodes?)

Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
chronically insane.

GET AN E-COLLAR

That is my advice Because male dogs are huge lickers!! Sooo bad with it!! Of all the times I've seen complications from male dog neuters, it is because the owners either a. Didn't buy an e-collar or b. They got an e-collar but were idiots and took it off for no reason and were surprised when they found their already neurotic mutt was licking himself

At the shelter we only had the opaque obnoxious cones available since they were cheap, but even a lampshade is better than nothing. Some pet stores sell better ones, but many of the newer ones just never work right and I see them frequently being returned.

Otherwise there isn't much to do, they are easy. Just watch out for scrotal hematomas, that is the only major problem that comes from male dogs.. keep 'em calm and if you have a larger/older dog you can put ice on the incision to keep swelling down but for the little guys there really isn't much to worry about.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
GET AN E-COLLAR
Good idea. It needs to be sized properly, so if you go fancy rather than vet-plain, ask for help from the store. You can take it off when you are watching him, leave it on when he's unsupervised, especially AT NIGHT.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
You can take it off when you are watching him, leave it on when he's unsupervised, especially AT NIGHT.
That's what I meant by the new collar design being a PITA. Buddy was done at the OSPCA Newmarket clinic and they are issued automatically. You pay for them of course. It seems to have an additional slot for the tab and... well, let's just say, very unladylike language came out of my mouth the first time I tried to get it off him.

I know Dash is a little guy but, I'll tell you what I found helpful with Ceili and have been using with her for years. A "whiplash collar" (can't remember what they are actually called). Way more comfortable for her. Velcro on, velcro off a yippee for me. And she wasn't crashing into everything and getting stuck in door jambs. I just made certain her food/ water dishes were at a height accessible to her with the thing on as it does constrict some neck movement.

They make them for children and infants of course. You could try a drug store but a medical supply store might be your better bet if you were interested. It's just a thought.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not a fan of having the dogs in my bed I am too light of a sleeper. However if any of my pooches have surgery I make an exception, I can keep a close eye on them if they lick. I find the damage is done at night for some reason. I slept with my Boston for three nights after a spay.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM

I think it'll be easier for my fiance, although I'm the one who's staying home with him for a few days. I'm a big suck when it comes to Dash and I know when he looks at my helplessly with those eyes I'll take the collar off and something will go wrong. We do however have a velcro e-collar that is the same shape but more comfortable and bendable. It will be hard for me to leave it on at night but I suppose that's probably what is best.

Thanks so much guys!