Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 9th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Exclamation Canine Papilloma Virus

I have a 10 month old Beagle puppy named Griffin and about 3 weeks ago I noticed a large white lump on his upper lip so I took him to the vet. She said she had never seen anything like it (???) and that it needed to be removed. Three days later it was removed and she said she wanted to send it away to be biopsed but I did some research and felt confident that it was canine papilloma virus so I said no (plus I don't have that kind of money!). Sure enough a week after it was removed more papillomas started to appear. He now has approximately 6 on the same upper lip some little and some growing rapidly. I know for the most part these aren't serious but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get them to go away faster? They are so hideous and I hate that my poor puppy has them! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
chronically insane.

Hmm sorry, it's a virus, nothing you can really do. Where did you get him from? Was it a pet shop or just some random breeder? Because I've done shelter work for a long time and don't think I've ever really heard of any shelter dogs getting it, it's more of a puppy mill thing. I think the only time I've even seen it was on dogs that were coming in to see the vet that were dogs purchased from pet shops.

It's kind of like coldsores or chickenpox, you can't just make them go away. Sorry, I know they are pretty gross looking

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:45 AM

Did you discuss your suspicions with your vet? If you and your vet are confident it is cpv, there is a treatment your vet can prescribe (though not 100% effective), and you can do other medical or holistic things to boost your dog's immune system. Even if you do nothing, it would usually resolve itself within a couple months.

It is a virus, which means your dog caught it, probably during play with an infected dog, but it does also survive in the environment a short period as well. Because it is contagious, you should not have your dog playing with others until the condition is resolved, especially not with other young dogs under 2 years, or your dog will be passing it on to them.