Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

My OH Confiscated a Cougar

OK folks, here's the story I promised you here: (edited by Admin - incorrect link i believe, added below)

Many moons, yea, decades ago when my OH was a Conservation Officer his office got a call about a private citizen keeping a cougar. It is illegal to keep an Ontario native wild animal in captivity without special licensing. My OH and another CO were dispatched to remove the cougar.

Off they went in their station wagon to remove the cougar. She turned out to be a young but full grown female. The owner was compliant, concerned for her safety, told the men how to handle her and they loaded her into their vehicle.

And off they drove with a full grown, fully toothed and clawed cougar loose, LOOSE, in the back of their station wagon. Apparently at one point she stood up and put her big mitts on the shoulders of the driver and my OH shooshed her down. I don't know about the other man but at this point (we weren't even going out yet, let alone married) my OH had no clue about even so much as a little domestic cat, forget cougars.

When they reached their destination, the place going to house the cougar, the man in charge there was horrified, aghast, amazed that these men had driven all the way with a dangerous animal they had no knowledge of loose in the back of their vehicle. He could not believe transport had not been arranged with his facility since housing had been arranged.

Oh, and the end of the story? The cougar was legal. The owner produced papers to verify she had been bred in captivity in the U.S. and he was allowed to keep her. I'm not sure if he retrieved her or if the animal facility delivered her.

There you go, my OH, the nitwit.

Please check out the link at the beginning and read how important it is to support Bill 125 to end the keeping of exotic animals as pet. http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...t=&BillID=2423

Last edited by marko; March 15th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Well, all's well that ends well, I guess. Good thing she turned out to be just another big pussycat in the end, Longblades.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

The bill is not to end the keeping of exotic pets. If you have a licence and are in accordance with the regulations, you are able to keep an exotic animal.

Keeping exotic wildlife in captivity

47.2 (1) No person shall keep live exotic wildlife in captivity except under the authority of a licence and in accordance with the regulations.

The bill amends the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act by adding a new Part 3. Here are some of the highlights:

Here are some highlights of the new Part 3.
People are prohibited from keeping exotic wildlife in captivity unless they hold a licence to do so. (see section 47.2 of the Act)
Those that keep exotic wildlife in captivity must ensure that the wildlife are not released and that they do not escape. If exotic wildlife does escape or is released, those who kept it in captivity are generally responsible for recapturing them. (see section 47.3 of the Act)
Part III.1 of the Act must be read as being consistent with Ontario Regulation 60/09 (Standards of Care) made under the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, and any regulations made under the Act concerning exotic wildlife must be consistent with that Regulation. (see section 47.7 of the Act)
A provision of a municipal by-law prevails over Part III.1 to the extent that it prohibits the keeping of exotic wildlife or is otherwise more restrictive than a provision of Part III.1 or of a regulation made for the purposes of that Part. (see section 47.8 of the Act)
The Act is amended to permit the Lieutenant Governor in Council to make regulations with respect to exotic wildlife. (see amendments to section 112 of the Act)

As much as this legislation bugs me, what really also erks me is wildlife in transit. If exotic animal originated outside of Ontario and is in Ontario temporarily in transit or in quarantine u don't need a licence. I mean serisously?? hello illegal wildife trade easier to played with.

Exception, wildlife in transit

(2) Except as prescribed by the regulations, subsection (1) does not apply to exotic wildlife that originated outside Ontario and is in Ontario temporarily in transit or in quarantine.

And driving around with the cat not properly being contained? not very smart. sorry not to be rude. This could not have only cost the lives of your husband and the other CO, but for the cat as well. If this wild animal attacked, it would have been put down. It would have been hard to press that an endangered animal had to be put down due to some lax CO's.
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you NoahsGrey for the information. We can always count on you.
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Marko. The link I had originally was the one I intended as it linked to the lion thread that started all this. The link you provided was in the lion thread but your move does spare folks some clicking so that's OK.

To clarify for Noah Grey and others. The cougar in my story was not endangered, having been bred in captivity in the U.S. I do believe this is still in my OP and has not been edited out. However, her death or any deaths occasioned by the idiocy of those doing the transport would still be lamentable. Don't worry about being rude, did you not see my nit wit comment?

Thanks for your clarifications. They would have been apparent to those who read the links in the other thread but I do realize not everyone does click on those and that some are hindered from doing so by dial-up connections.

I just got in; did anybody read about the wolf that escaped from Jungle Cat World? This is from a supposedly properly credentialed establishment. Kinda makes you wonder about the bill, doesn't it?
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

That would have been an amazing adventure to be on
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

To Noah Grey:

Do you have access to information details of the planned licensing of owners of exotic pets? Given the recent, sad wolf escapade I find myself wondering how effective it will be. It seemed a good idea a first glance but how far will it go? Will it require evidence of knowledge in the keeping and health of those pets? Or will it be like the dog licenses in my municipality; pay your fee, keep your dog and no regard paid to whether you know a blessed thing about a dogs needs and care of. Seems to me this is a likely scenario as how could an agency (which one?) implement guidelines for such diverse species as make up exotic pets. Just think, birds and snakes are fairly common, add in large cats. Very different needs.
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Longblades,

I can check it out for you at school and get back to you. I meant that the cougar was considered 'endangered' in 1978, however in 1998 the status was re-examined in 1998, and the animal was designated “data deficient” because there was not enough data to evaluate the status of the animal or its classification as a subspecies. The species has been declared extinct in the United States.
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is 'cougar' considered a subspecies of mountain lion, NG? Here the terms cougar and mountain lion and puma are used interchangeably--at least in common parlance. I'd heard that one subspecies was considered extinct but that another had been spreading across the States? We've even had a few sightings in my county. One of these days I hope I spot one! That'd be exciting!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Skylar's Farm

My husband is younger than me.......does that make me a cougar?
(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
My husband is younger than me.......does that make me a cougar?
(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Depends how much younger. You might just be a puma.

if off topic.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (13), Tweeky (6), and Sassy (7)

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Is 'cougar' considered a subspecies of mountain lion, NG? Here the terms cougar and mountain lion and puma are used interchangeably--at least in common parlance. I'd heard that one subspecies was considered extinct but that another had been spreading across the States? We've even had a few sightings in my county. One of these days I hope I spot one! That'd be exciting!
Yes, a cougar, AKA mountain lion is actually a puma (puma concolor) or a mountain lion and the name varies depending on what region in America you are in.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM

So this was the eastern subspecies of mountain lion that was extinct, with the western subspecies spreading east?

Old March 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Well is it considered extinct in the eastern part of the US. Personally I think that they are jumping the gun. I as well as others do not believe that the eastern cougar is extinct. Cougars are solitary animals and very aloof. They hide a way from anything remotely where there is human activity

We actually have sightings here
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM

We have sightings, here, too. They've been filmed. There was a confirmed sighting a number of years ago just up the road from here--that one was collared and being tracked by the DNR. A few of the visitors have been identified as to origin (moved in from MN, for example) but I don't recall if they did any DNA analysis to see what subspecies... Interesting, though.