Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Can you give a cat cheese?

Hi,

Can I give my cats a little mild cheddar cheese? I love cheese and do not eat meat so I eat cheese everyday. My cats almost knock me down trying to get to my cheese.

Is it ok to give them a little of it and if so how much is ok?

Thanks So Much,

Jennifer
Mom to Gabriel, Bagheera, Mary, Saxie, Harry, Bunny, and Sadie
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cheese can make them constipated if consumed enough, and the lactose can upset their tummies if they are lactose intolerant. You may want to start off with tiny pieces and see how their tummy reacts over the next 12 hours.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks so much,

I don't want to give them much because they are already a little chubby but they seem like they would love a tiny piece when I have mine.

We have recently switched to a weight control dry food which they seem to love.

Jennifer W.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
border collie mama

i give my kitty cheese, not every day and not in large amounts, but i'd say 3-4 times a week would be fine, just give them small pieces.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowilson002 View Post
We have recently switched to a weight control dry food which they seem to love.
Cheese is a great treat for cats (everything in moderation, of course).

Just a comment on the diet dry food: get rid of it! It has an atrocious amount of carbohydrates that cats aren't designed to eat and will do nothing for weightloss. Even if your cats did lose weight on it, eating such a species-inappropriate food will put them at risk for a number of other serious problems such as diabetes, kidney disease, bladder & urinary tract issues, etc. A low-carb wet food is your best bet. Check out these links for more info:
http://www.catinfo.org/
http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; March 14th, 2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Thank YOu,

I had no idea that Weight Control Dry Food is so bad. I was giving them a "Science Diet" dry food. But If it isn't good, I will definitely stop giving it to them.

Again, Thank YOu for the information and advice.

Jennifer W.
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Science Diet is actually one of the worst. I know first hand because that's what I fed my 2 cats for 8 years. Then one developed diabetes at the age of 9, and his brother died of inflammatory bowel disease at 11. If I thought I could sue Colgate-Palmolive (parent company of Hill's) and win, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But their pockets are a bit deeper than mine.

Anyway, I just don't want people to make the same mistake. I was going on the advice of my vet to feed the diet food, but I should have clued in that it wasn't working when my cats actually got fatter. One (the cat that eventually died) went from being 1 lb overweight to clinically obese, despite eating less than what the vet recommended. By the way, my vet has since changed her tune and now "prescribes" canned food for weight loss - and not Hill's/Science Diet. At least we both learned something, even if it was too late for my boys.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Kitty pimp

look at it this way, cats eat meat they dont eat veggies if you can find them a good grain free wet food they will be less lokely to be overweight and much more active and probaly have fewer diet related health problrems down the road It may take a little training on thier pert and patince on yours but if you stick to a scdhule they will get used to it and u can then give them treats wothout worring oo much about the calories

im a chesse lover too btw the higher the fat content of dairy the less lactose is in it
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Back to the cheese, I second the caveats already presented but would like to emphasize the value of discovering what treats your cat likes. A bit of cheese, chicken weiner, braunswager (sp?) sausage etc. may be the method that will work to induce your cat to take a pill, when that time comes. We eat cheese every day and the cats, and the dog, often get a little nibble. About a cubic 1/4 inch (or less) is probably what it amounts to for the cats, and not every day.
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
~Cat Servent~

My cats are cheese connoiseurs! Whenever I am slicing cheese for myself Fagan and Windy come running, and I always give them a few very small pieces, maybe equal to about a 1/4" cube. But they will not eat the 75% less fat cheese I get for myself, they only like it when I splurge and come home with deli swiss emmental or provolone! I do think with dairy products, someone mentioned in another thread that the regular or higher fat ones are better for them anyhow.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Cool

[QUOTE=eddysue;992863]My cats are 16, 17 and 18 years old and have been on Science Diet dry from day one. At this rate it's hard to tell how long they will live. Sure don't have a problem with Science Diet. So at this point I'm not going to change their food.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysue View Post
My cats are 16, 17 and 18 years old and have been on Science Diet dry from day one. At this rate it's hard to tell how long they will live. Sure don't have a problem with Science Diet.
Perhaps they'll live into their 20s if you switch to a more species appropriate food. Better late than never!

Also, George Burns lived to 100 and smoked up to 15 cigars a day. Doesn't mean that's the secret to good health, now does it.

Old March 12th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I have always wondered if it was ok to give cheese to cats,,,but I know that most can't handle milk products so I never have. Even though Willie always tries to steal mine.

Now, he will be happy that he can have a tiny bit. Thanks for asking the question.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Vinnie(of course)is overweight,but I still give him a tiny piece of cheese when I have it,he won't touch hubbys Brie or Camembert,but loves my Extra Old cheddar and Swiss..
As for Science Diet or any dry food,it was made for the owners convenience more than the cats health.
I could not imagine feeding my cats the same dry food,year after year.