Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM

petsmart training class, intermediate or advanced?

im trying to figure out which one to take, my dog is 3 years old and i taught him alot of things everything he knows is sit ,stay, down, head down, paw, stand, up( jumps up on your chest), turn around. also we can kinda walk him offleash but its not perfected, for example, in a neighbourhood i wouldnt trust him but lets say around the cottage hes perfect, ( he likes to run when hes off leash, but never runs away) btw hes a goldendoodle

can anyone tell me what they teach in each class?

my dog is pretty smart and learns thing really quick so i dont want to sign up for a class and be bored with it for me and him and for him to just fly through it like its nothing cause then its no challenge and he dosnt learn much.

he listens to me from a distance for the most part except when we are at the dog park, all the dogs are way too much distraction i guess, but when we are alone he listens to everything i say.

thanks
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

training isn't just about learning, its about spending quality time with your dog, letting your dog socialize with others and yes, learning to listen. Petsmart isn't the wisest choice,my opinion only mind you, is there no other training classes around? forgot to add, I don't think I'd try advance till you see what all the class is about
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM

well there probably are but i didnt even look, i was happy with the puppy training and the trainer was very good, the thing that surprised me most was she trained her dog to get a beer out of the fridge, but ye your right its about spending time with my dog, but i can do that at home for free, if i go to the training pay 100+ and my dog already knows everything its pointless, in my eyes atleast. and other training facilaties cost double and i just dont have the money for that now( im unemployed)
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

thats actually a very easy trick to learn *L*, in puppy class you must have taught your dog "take"? "hand"? if so, start with a dish towel and have your pup take and hand, then tie it to the fridge handle and tell the pup take.....eventually the door will open and you can change the command to "take,door"......once its opened and you've done this on and off for a week or so, then play with an empty beer bottle or can, same thing "take, hand", eventually work the two together....make sure you keep the beer or drink on a shelf where the pup can reach without climbing in , dummy here forgot and had my pup pull off the front of the door shelf where hubs had the pepsi *L*
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM

cool i never knew that, after a while i will teach him that eventually,
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

brandes, when I was in training I'd make each person teach their dog one new trick before the next class, at the 6th class we'd find some way to combine at least 4 of their tricks to make one and they had to perform it at the 8th and final class *L* it was a bit of fun and it guaranteed that they spent quality time daily with their dog between classes
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM

thats actually really smart, the two tricks that i wanted to teach my dog next were crawl and to bow, but i dont realy have an idea on how to teach them, any tips?
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

crawl is pretty easy to teach, all I did was have her do a down but not over on one hip, then I just would move the treat a teeny way out of reach on the floor so she'd scoot over to it. Sometimes they'll stand up so it takes a bit of repetition and don't move it too far away at first, just in front of their paws is good. Once they start to get it, then just add the word. She finds it easiest to crawl on carpet. I haven't tried a bow yet but if you can get him to play bow to you, then you can mark and treat when he bows to you. Doesn't take too long usually for them to get it.
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM

jhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by brandes; March 1st, 2011 at 09:00 PM.