Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM

being disabled and with my dog nearly all the time,i talk to him constantly.
he's almost 3 years old now and understands complete sentences by adjoining smaller bits that he understands.. for example,if i throw his toy into the kitchen by the fridge and he didn't see where i threw it,i'll say."it's in the kitchen by the fridge"..he immediately scampers to the exact location and finds his toy/he understands simple words like walk,run,fridge,car,tree,around(as in "around" the car)/ when he tries to get in on the driver's side ,but i intend to put him in via the passenger's side i'd say "no,other side"/he caught on just after a couple times of this.in the past two,almost 3 years that i've had him,he's learned so much that i'm truly amazed.he knows if i leave to go somewhere and i say "i'll be right back" that it's not the same as "ill be back later". if tell im "i'll be right back" he doesn't show any tension with my going out the door.he'll just lay there and look at me like ..uh...okay..bye..but if i say "i'll be back later" he'll lift his head and stare at me as if to say .."say what!!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Floppy Dog

We talk to the dog and cat all the time. The difference is when we're just "chatting" at them, we use their nick-names and a sing-song, baby-talk tone of voice. When we actually want to "communicate" and give "commands", we use their proper names and normal or deeper tone of voice.

The other thing we do is use spoonerisms when we want to talk about someing that has "meaning" for the animals. So "walk the dog" becomes "dalk the wog" and "tucker the dog" becomes "ducker the tog". Switch the first sound of a word and your dog is completely lost.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:43 PM

All of the time and my cats too <3 They listen I swear...and they like it too
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:15 AM

We've always talked to our pets. They certainly seem to enjoy it, since it's another type of attention. Heck, the dog we had when growing up could spell because we talked to him so much! He'd gotten to the point that he figured out that w-a-l-k and e-a-t and c-a-r meant that he would get to enjoy those things. My boy will sometimes talk back, a low rooing sound, and Gizmo stares at me like he's waiting for something and he'd like me to catch on to what that is and provide it.

Honestly, we even talk to the deaf dog, it's become such a habit.