Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:08 AM

Red face please help!!

I have a 4 year old female cat. We just got an 8 month old male who is not neutered. He is being aggressive following her around and attacking her. And she hides from him. Will getting him fixed help the situation. And will she get along with him better afterwards? She is spaded also. It's become a very stressful situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

For now, please keep them separated, first impressions are so important between cats. You can try feeding them treats at each side of the door so they get "positive" feelings when they smell each other.

Are you sure he is only 8 months old? Normally young males are very social. Do you have any history on him?

14+ kitties has a real good website that offers advise in introducing cats, she should be one soon and be able to link it and offer some advice.

Hopefully you will be getting him neutered ASAP and that will settle him down a bit.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

L4H is right. Separate the cats immediately. Give the young upstart a room of his own and then very very slowly, seeing as they got off to such a rotten start, start introducing them. He will be happy in a room where he has a window to look out of, a few toys, a litter box, a bed and a scratching post. Basically the comforts of home. At the moment he is asserting his dominance on her. If you ever want a peaceful home you can not allow that to happen. Personally I would be keeping the cats completely separated until after he has lost his marbles. Once the testosterone is out of his system he will probably turn into a total love muffin. Most males do.
Once you decide to start introducing them to each other do a slow intro. Feeding them on opposite sides of the door up to that point is ok. They are aware there is another cat in the house. It is just imperative they do not see each other.
Exchanging bedding so they can smell each other without seeing each other is a good start once you start the introductions. You can also rub the bedding over the other cat so they smell like each other as well. After a day or so of that you can exchange rooms. Let the male out to explore the house. Let the female into the room where he was. That can be done for another day or so. After that if things seem to be going ok without a lot of posturing and hissing you may want to let them see each other. It does not have to be close up. Some people use baby gates one on top of another across doorways to do this. Others use a screen door. Still others let them be in the same room and watch closely. At the first sign of any acts of dominance from him scoop him up gently and quietly and return him to his room.
The key to a successful peaceful home with multi cats is patience, patience and more patience. At the moment I have 14 in my home. Most times you wouldn't know there are more than two or three.

This is my favourite site. This lady has introduced a ton of cats to each other with good results.
http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; February 22nd, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM

Thank you both so much for your advice! We will put your suggestions to good use!!!!