Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM

Dog pooping in house

Hi everyone, last time I had an issue with my golden everyone was very helpful was hoping for a little help again this time.

My Dog Spaghetti who is 10 months now and has been house trained for months and months now has suddenly started pooping in the house when I am at work.

It is always just a little bit, not a full poop. So I am wondering if possibly he is having some type of digestive problem now that when he goes out he doesn't finish everything. Or if he is so excited because of the snow outside that he is playing outside more instead of doing his business. It has been going on for about 2 weeks now, he has no problems at all while I am home or over the night time just usually between when I leave for work at around 8 until I get home for lunch around noon.

Maybe he is just having behavior problems but nothing has changed in the past 2 weeks. He always held it until I got home even if I didn't come home for lunch. He has plenty of toys and things to chew on to try to keep him occupied while I am at work but im just not sure what it could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Starting today I am going to take him outside and make sure he goes to the bathroom before he comes back in or plays at all to see if that works, but just wanted to get some other ideas
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM

Ok this is getting out of hand, after his accident earlier today I cleaned everything up. Sprayed the hard floors so there would be no smell at all.

I just let him out, he peed because he hasn't eaten since this morning. He came in after going outside and after i sat and watched him go to the bathroom. I went to the basement for laundry and could hear him eating his food. He finished eating while I was folding clothes. I come upstairs and he had just gone poo in about the same spot as he always does.

I forgot to mention that the small amounts of poo I believe is smeared around, possibily he is eating it?

Why would he eat it after he just finished his food not more then 5 minutes earlier and how can he go poo that quick after just eating?

Is he sick? Bored? Or is this a behavioral issue? He goes poo outside plenty but this is really getting out of hand with him, when I see it he knows he has done something wrong and goes and hides under the table.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:41 PM

It's entirely possible that he's eating at least a portion of his stool. If his breath is extremely bad, then I'd have to guess that he is. Stool eating is called coprophagia, and it's not all that uncommon. There can be a number of reason, both behavioral and medical and, I've been told, possibly even related to the type of food that the dog is getting. That is, if you've got a food that's got a very high protein content, then it basically smells to the dog the same coming out as it does going in because so much of the protein (the meat part) isn't getting digested. Mind you, I haven't had that confirmed by a vet, so that may be more myth than fact. here's a link: http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/coprophagia.html

As for the pooping in the house, there could be a medical problem, especially if he's begun doing it while you're at home. It could also be purely behavioral - a protest against being left alone at all. I would definitely get him checked over to make sure that he hasn't picked up any parasites or developed any other kind of illness. Once you've ruled out medical, then you know it's behavioral. If that's the case, I'd try going back to house training beginning. Walk him often, praise like crazy when he does his business outside, perhaps have a neighbor or someone you trust come over while you're at work to walk him. Dogs will sometimes begin messing in the house in protest.

Also, what are you using to clean up the mess with? If it's not something that's specially formulated to kill the scent, then he's going to keep viewing that spot as his 'toilet' regardless of whatever shame he exhibits when you find the mess, because his nose is telling him that it's a toilet. It's very hard to fight against the nose!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise_davis View Post
Why would he eat it after he just finished his food not more then 5 minutes earlier and how can he go poo that quick after just eating?
Oh, as far as the timing goes, without being too crude: what goes in, must come out. Dogs will generally get on a schedule. If they eat at regular times, then they will also poo at regular times. And eating seems to be a trigger, telling the body it's time to make room. Mine eats at the same two times, and he gets walked directly after, and he poos at those times. If you feed yours three times a day, chances are pretty good that the dog will poo three times a day.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM

Thank you for the information. I haven't changed his food since I slowly took him off his initial food when I got him.

I have been cleaning up the mess with stuff that is suppose to take the smell out from any accidents at all that I got at the pet store back when he was having accidents. Glad I still had some left

I have started to stay outside with him while he has to go out, he sits and looks at me and doesn't do anything because I think he wants to play in the snow instead of taking care of business. When he did pee last night he was praised very highly then just sat in the snow for about 10 minutes before I decided we should go in since he stopped sniffing around at all.

I am going to try to only feed him when I am home now (which has not been the case in the past, but also wasn't a problem in the past) and right after he eats we are going outside.

I hope to get this all resolved, its been very annoying since I thought we were passed all of this months ago when he did such a good job in such a short time. Guess it was too good to be true.

Oh and he has been eating it, he burped later last night and it was truly the worst thing I have ever smelt in my life, it only magnified the smell of the poo
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I highly suggest that you start from scratch and go outside with your dog. When he goes outside ..praise. Make a big deal about it. Scolding a dog will not rectify the problem if this is what is happening.

Just putting the dog outside without going with him, is not a good way to house train your dog. The dog will regress and this is normal.
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:04 PM

vet check to rule out GI problem

then back to basics as mentioned - praise like hell when poop happens outside

if you catch IN THE ACT you can definitely scold from what ive read/heard.

its the scolding hours after that has no point and confuses the dog.