Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM

What cats eat (besides cat food)?

Hello everyone, I hope everyone and their pets are doing well.
My kitty always has a full dish of dry food which he nibbles on in passing whenever he feels like it. This food usually last for quite a while. He also has taken it into his head he likes his wet food (with gravy no less) mixed with a wee bit of his dry food (in a separate dish of course).
Then I take him outside...
He used to hunt flies down and eat em up. Now he has two other objects that he loves to eat. Lots of grass, daily. And it doesn't always make him throw up either. Seems he just loves grass, a certain type as it takes him forever to find just the right blades. And... he loves catching and eating dragonflies too. I try to not allow that to happen because I know dragonflies help us get rid of some other pesky insects, but he does seem to have a taste for them.
Anyone else here have a cat that eats what you would call weird things?
Have a great day
Mysti
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would ditch the kibble, it will slowly kill him. Cats, especially males, have a much higher risk of developing urinary crystals and stones due to the lack of moisture in their bodies. Cats have a very low thirst drive resulting in kibble fed cats to be chronically dehydrated. Even though you see you cat drinking water, it may not be enough as licking is not an efficient way to get water. Eating water with their food as nature intended is much better

http://www.catinfo.org/#Cats_Need_Pl...ith_Their_Food

Let him catch and eat the dragonflies, they are better for him than the kibble you are feeding him and he has stimulation from the catch.

Best foods to feed your cat are canned ones that include human grade MEAT. Some good ones are:
Nature's Variety Instinct (canned of course)

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/all

and Wellness, grain free (canned)

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/recip...x?pet=cat&ft=2

As for the grass, yup, there is only one kind that my cats will eat too and it takes a while for them to find it . Like your kitty sometimes they vomit after eating it, sometimes they don't.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree 100% with L4H...if you want to try to keep your cat healthy and live a long life,definitely ditch the kibble.

A short example,a lady up the street told me her cat had kidney-problems,she had been feeding him the same kibble all his life.
I suggested she starts feeding him canned,I was stunned,when she said the smell of canned food makes her gag.

This poor cat,whom she professed to"love so much"was put down a couple of months ago,at 6 yrs old,because of untreated kidney-failure..