Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Microchipping an Indoor Cat?

Due to where I live, my kitten will be strictly an indoor cat. I'm wondering about getting him microchipped. In the four days he's been with me, he has made no attempt to get out, so I don't think there's too much of a concern. But if he ever did get out and I couldn't find him, I would feel terrible knowing there was a way I could possibly have gotten him back and didn't do it.

How do other people with indoor cats feel about this? Is microchipping an unnecessary expense, or a worthwhile form of "insurance"? Are there any risks to microchipping?

Thank you!
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It is always a good idea to have cats chipped. He may not have tried to escape yet but the time may come he might. The only *danger* I have heard of is when the chip sometimes moves. Normally the agents or whoever checks will check over the entire body for a chip anyway.
Is the kitty fixed? If not it can be done at the same time as the neutering.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM

Thank you, 14+kitties. Yes, that was my thought, that if I get him chipped, I would do it at the same time as neutering. First vet appointment is scheduled next week.
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Catlover2

Both my cats are indoor cats, and I had them microchipped. You never know when they might get outside, or someone leaves a door open, or heaven forbid a tornado sweeps through and destroys your house. One windy summer day someone did not close our front door properly, and I was out in the backyard, came in and found the door wide open. One of my cats was sitting in the doorway and as soon as he saw me ran back in, my girl had gone into the shrubbery at the front of the house. So you just never know. We had a tornado sweep through Woodbridge last summer, which was south of where I live. I do know that pets that were found after the Katrina hurricane had a much better chance at being reunited with their owners that were microchipped. A collar can be removed or lost, but a chip can't.
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, I am a firm believer that all pets should be microchipped and should be as routine as spaying/neutering or initial vaccines.

You just never know if you cats will get out.

Yes, there is a slim, slim, slim chance of the microchip causing cancer as with anything that is inserted into a body. You can, of course, discuss this with your vet. The chances of your cats getting euthanized at a shelter because of not being able to contact the owner is much greater.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the answers, everybody. I'll definitely get him chipped.
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
~Cat Servent~

I've got 7 strictly indoor cats, all are microchipped and all of them also wear breakaway collars with id tags as well. You just never know....and if heaven forbid they ever get out and get lost I want whoever finds them to know that they have a home. (And my worst fear of all is losing them and never finding out what happened.)

good luck at the first vet visit!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M