Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM

Wild cat moved in, new puppy

Hi, first time posting here, wanted to get a little feedback on this situation that I currently have.

So about a week and a half ago we brought home a new puppy, lab-pitbull, and a few days after that, we noticed this huge wild cat hanging around the yard. The next morning we heard constant meowing coming from our old shed, where we keep old junk that doesn't work, odds and ends ect ect, just basic junk. The shed itself is over 15 years old and is not in use, no one goes in there anymore.

So this cat, it had kittens in there, I've counted 6 kittens. The mother cat was really in a protective state those first few days after she had them, hissing at whoever got near. Which is normal...I assume. Now I for one, am worried for my puppy's safety 24/7 around the clock, the mother cat is like 3 times his size, I suggested calling the spca to maybe relocate these cats or whatever, but my parents are against it, they personally go out there and give those cats food, they just leave a plate of fish outside the shed door. the puppy does go over to that shed door, that one time I had to go and grab him because I saw the mother cat ready to pounce on him. I don't think he noticed them...yet. Now present day those kittens are running around outside the shed, sticking close to their mother, who by the way, is keeping a very close eye on them. I went to go feed my puppy just a few minutes ago and as we walked by that mother cat was really looking at him. I didn't like that one bit. I'm just so worried when I'm not there looking after him, that he's going to go to that shed door and that mother cat will rip him a new one, or swallow him or something.

Like I said my parents and the cat "lovers" of the house are against me calling the SPCA on them. I just want to see what other people think of all of this.

This is his yard, our yard, not that stray lion out there. [Don't get me wrong, I love cats, I just don't love cats who look at my puppy as breakfast]
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mmmm, take one look at my name and tell me whose side I'm on.
Seriously - is your pup an outside dog? If so why? Does he have full run of the yard? How can he be trained that way? How much attention is your puppy getting if he is outside and you are in? Sorry for all the questions but I would think the majority of the regulars on Pets will feel the same as I. Dogs need to be with their peeps.
Now for the momma and her babies. If you let us know the approximate area you live in maybe we can work together to find a rescue that can help this poor mom. It is not her fault some decided not to get her spayed and probably booted her when she got pregnant. I doubt she is a "wild cat". More than likely she is doing what she is supposed to do - protecting her babies.
If you have a no kill shelter in your area you could phone and ask them to supply you with a live trap. That way mom and babes can be caught and taken to them. If they have the room that is. "Relocating", which is your word, is only passing your problem on to someone else. Your parents have been feeding the mom so therefore she is now theirs. Btw - fish is not a great diet for Mom. Even Friskies canned would be a much better option for her.
The best thing you could do for the cat if you cannot get her into a no kill shelter or rescue is to live trap her and have her and the kittens spayed/neutered. Then at least they can live in peace without having to worry about adding to the already overpopulated pet world.
It is entirely possible once everyone has been neutered, including the pup, that they can all live in harmony in the yard if that is their only choice. I have two dogs who never harm my cats. The cats never harm the dogs either.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I totally agree with everything 14+ has said.
Puppies can get into a lot of trouble if left unattended.....not just with protective cats. He should never be left outside alone.

clm