Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Yeah this thread/documentary definitely sparked my interest in show vs working/ historical vs modern bred dogs, hence why I started a new thread not to thread-jack
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Not surprising in the society we are living in. For all we know, some of the things that are breed into these dogs were at one point some mutation and not healthy. Like Scottish Folds ears, or white tigers. Those traits that are so longed for are gene mutations.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

All traits were mutations at one time or another, AG. If you look at it from an evolutionary standpoint, all 'higher' organisms are the product eons of accidental mutations of non-essential genes. Normally, mutations causing advantageous traits would tend to be perserved; mutations causing disadvantageous traits would be eliminated through natural selection.

Where humans run into problems is when they select for the nonadvantageous traits--the ones that would cause the animal to be less viable in a natural setting. Hairless cats, for example, or brachycephalic dogs.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Where humans run into problems is when they select for the nonadvantageous traits--the ones that would cause the animal to be less viable in a natural setting. Hairless cats, for example, or brachycephalic dogs.
Unfortunately, those trains mean $$ and prestige for the humans at the cost of the animals well being.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Seeing the GSD's made me cry...for real. I cannot believe how terribly 'mutilated' they were. You know just by watching them move, their days are numbered...and cannot believe that they will be bred. Just horrible.

Then finding out that ridgeback pups born without ridges are killed???? Euthanizing perfectly healthy puppies for that? Which is a defect as it is? Amazing how non chalante (spelling..) those 'women' were in saying that they seek out vets who will kill healthy pups. I just cannot believe what I saw and heard.

And those spaniels???? (sickening)!

Sure is an eye opener.

I say RESCUE and forget those types of 'reputable breeders' that hide behind the umbrella of 'Kennel Club'.
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Floppy Dog

I don't even want to think about the spaniels, since I own one. Beena (12 year-old daughter) had to leave the room when this show aired, it made her so upset.

Interesting note about GSD's in Canada. When I was doing research about 3 years ago into various dog breeds before I purchased our dog, I did some extensive research into GSD's because I'd heard about the back and hip problems. It seems that the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) has put in some very stringent health test requirements before they will issue certificates. I seem to recall that 2 sets of x-rays were required (at 3 and 6 months, I think), a DNA test was optional depending on the results of the x-ray and there were limits on how closely in-bred dogs were allowed to be. I think the closest common ancestor had to be 3 or 4 generations back.

Does anyone know if the CKC was just more proactive than the UKKC? Or did the bad press hit North America first?

The documentary also mentioned that Sweeden's Kennel Club has banned certain matings in their dogs (father-daughter was the one specifically mentioned). How about other Kennel Clubs around the world? Have they been more proactive than the UKKC or are they just as blinded to the science of genetics as the UKKC?

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I think the kennel clubs need to be more proactive when it comes to their breed standards. If the breed standard for GSDs is changed so that large sloping back was a fault for instance, or all titled dogs must be health tested yearly for diseases known to their breeds and their titles revolked and no litters allowed to be registered from those parents, etc. Then you may see some positive changes regarding the health of those shown and bred.
I think a lot more involvement by the CKC, AKC, etc is both warranted and necessary.

clm
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I think the kennel clubs need to be more proactive when it comes to their breed standards. If the breed standard for GSDs is changed so that large sloping back was a fault for instance, or all titled dogs must be health tested yearly for diseases known to their breeds and their titles revolked and no litters allowed to be registered from those parents, etc. Then you may see some positive changes regarding the health of those shown and bred.
I think a lot more involvement by the CKC, AKC, etc is both warranted and necessary.

clm
It's sad that humans have bread traits that eventually produce health issues.

I remember when I was a child. I loved GSD's, still do, but I remember they didn't look the same as they do now.

Old August 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I agree, it is sad. I know with our breed, in just the 24 years we've had them, they've gone from being a medium sized dog to a small to medium sized dog. Our first dog was above standard size, but would have been standard size 20 years before that. Poms used to go 30lbs in size.
What about breeds like danes? Harlequin breedings commonly result in blind dogs......IMO then Harlequin danes should not be a registerable breed with any kennel club.
There are ways to fix these things, but the kennel clubs need to start being part of the solution IMO.

clm