Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM

swollen flap of a dog

My golden retriever dogs right ear is swollen. What can it be ? I appreciate all suggestions. It not the inside. i have decided to take everyone advice and go to the vet. I have an appointment this afternoon. I will keep you informed. Since you want picture . How do you add pictures?

September 18, 2010 After the Vet visit
The vet wrote down in Swedish blodöra and haemaotits latin term and said look up on the internet. I could not find it on the internet because she wrote like a Doctor . When I called and spoke to her assistant who spelled it for me as Haemaotis after checking with her. The closest I could find was othematoma. She said it was not an insect bit. Just blood in the ear, In 2 weeks or a month it should go down. Her ear would shrink or be wrinkle a little. Otherwise let her know.
I am glad it is not a insect bit or something very serious The Veterinary also said she was nice and healthy
.Anyone know any nature remedies or experience with it

Last edited by nazer4; August 18th, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

are you talking about the actual ear or inside of the ear..the actual ear could be a bug bite/allergic reaction,,inside could be a sever ear infection. I would suggest taking the pup to the vet to check it out.

oh and welcome to the forum.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM

no

It is not the inside just a 5 inch swelling . Thank you for your comment
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Check with the vet, but I think it's what my golden had. A blood vessel burst and the ear swelled up with blood. It was really full, felt like it could burst. Can be corrected with surgery but it's not necessary, it will go away but definately will come and go.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

nazer is the ear warm to the touch,,discolored,,etc,,since we're not vets we're basically just giving you idea's as to what it could be..could he/she have been stung by a bee?.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

My pup had a similiar thing happen except I beleive it was an earwig and the vet thinks it was a bee?? we will never know but I did take WInston in and glad I did because the vet said the swelling is painful to the dog.

You could try benadryl to assist with any itchies but ultimately the vet is the best plae to confirm that. Did your dog suffer an trauma to the ear because that would also indicate a reason for swelling?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If it's a thickening of the flap itself, it could be a hematoma, nazer4. If it's a 5-inch hematoma, it will likely need to be drained. They can heal by themselves, but when they're that big, they normally don't heal cleanly--the ear ends up sort of 'cauliflowered'. A vet will lance it, then baste it open so the blood and sera can drain.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM
You can call me DOG!

Does your Golden like to eat flies or bees? When we had our Golden, her ear would swell after playing and consuming a bee. One ear would puff out and feel very firm however; usually by the next day it was gone.

If your Golden's ear is as swollen as 5 inches, I would agree with the others in that a quick visit to the vet may be just the answer.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/14/2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazelpack I think you got it Buddy used to get Hematomas from the severe ear infections he used to get. If it is a hematoma before you do surgery get him on antibiotics and wait a couple of days. Buddys used to go down and be almost gone in about 3 days. If it does not go down then surgery. Does the dogs ears smell bad? Smell and head shaking are the some of the first signs of an ear infection. The vet always prescribed Baytril drops and pills we found these to be the best for Bud.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Thank you and you were right but the Vet did not want to open it up just wait 2 weeks to 1 month.