Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 28th, 2005, 11:28 PM

Question - Is owning a monkey legal in Ontario or Canada ?

Is owning a monkey legal in Ontario or anywhere else in Canada.

I looked around a lot and couldnt mind any information.

If so, are there any special permits or requirments ?

-thanks beforehand-
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know.....

It appears that many cities prohibit it in their bylaws so you could contact your local Humane Society for more info regarding the local laws.

Both Toronto and Brampton prohibit it. Search on "Non-Human Primates" and the name of your city.

Also from what I have read (in five minutes) monkeys are serious business. It seems they can be very dangerous, hard to care for and of course due to their lifespan a serious commitment. If they are legal where you are please don't do this without giving it serious thought. They don't sound like a good 'pet'. Why do you want one?

Good luck finding an answer.
Old January 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM

thanks

well I live in mississauga, yeah I'll call up the humane society

and yes, I been doing research and they are a lot more work then I thought....am having second thoughts but still perhaps in the future wouldnt mind having one

why do I want one ?

I'm eccentric
Old January 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I would strongly advise against getting any kind of monkey as a pet. They do not do well as single pets kept in a home. While adorable as babies, they become quite aggressive and destructive upon maturity, which is when most people get rid of them. Zoos won't take pets, and if a sanctuary is not an option, there is really no place for them to go.

Monkeys are highly social animals, and should be with others of their kind, such as in the wild or in a zoo that is equipped with the space and knowledgeable care they get there. Keeping them in solitary confinement, no matter how large the cage, is not humane.

Wanting something different is not a good reason to bring of these wild and exotic creatures into your home.
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
they become quite aggressive and destructive upon maturity, which is when most people get rid of them. Zoos won't take pets, and if a sanctuary is not an option, there is really no place for them to go.

Monkeys are highly social animals, and should be with others of their kind.....Keeping them in solitary confinement, no matter how large the cage, is not humane.

Wanting something different is not a good reason to bring of these wild and exotic creatures into your home.
Thanks for the facts Lucky. Please reconsider this pumpz there are other ways to express you eccentricity. I'm sure the Humane Society will also agree.
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Hey pumpz.
I had a good friend who had a monkey, (we lived in Scarborough at the time) And my God was he BAAAAAD (i don;t think he reallly meant to be, I guess he was just being a monkey). He would throw things at you (He had an amazing arm, and was very accurate), he would jump down and pull your hair really hard then take off, he would bite (He had big teeth and would draw blood every time) If he didn't want to do something, he just didn't do it!!!! He also tormented the boxer dog they had (I am 100% sure if that dog could have caught him he would have killed him) He would whip dishes at the dog and people, he would go in the fridge and cupboads and help himself, and when he was no longer hungry he would start whiping the food at everybody including the dog!!!!!!
And when he felt extra devilish, he would poop in his hand and either paint the walls with it or just whip it at you !!

He was raised lovingly, but just grew up to be a very big problem, and got in to so much trouble, he even got loose once and terrorized the neighborhood, I am sure he was just being a monkey, and after seeing all that I have seen I would nver recomend that anyone get one as a pet !!!!!!

Please think long and hard before you make this decision.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:18 PM

When I was a kid, a family on my street had one. They were always extremely
hush-hush about it, so I assume it wasn't legal in Toronto( Not sure though).
From what I remember, their experience was very much like happycats described.

It became a serious stress on the family. Both dealing with the monkey, and then trying to figure out what to do with him once they realized that they couldn't handle him.
Old January 30th, 2005, 12:34 AM

word..........it is a big thing to have on your hands, I wont deny that

there are many bad stories, but there are good ones

but yeah, nonetheless....it is a big risk and commitment

I plan on having a home recording studio in a few years, like a semi proffesional one worth several thousand....so I wouldnt want the monkey to run up in that and destroy it or play around with delicate equipment

what kind of monkey was it though ?
Im thinking one of small ones, that'll sit on your shoulder and you can even hold in your palm
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Thoses little cute ones?? Those are baby monkeys!! LOL
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM
<-----nut ball

As far as I know, owning any primate in ontario is illegal, all cities I checked have a bylaw against it.

just so you know, most primates are endangered or at risk of being endangered, especially the smaller ones. The one your are probably thinking of that is small and sits in your hand is a Tarsir. They are extremely endangered.

Please do not consider getting a primate. If you are ecentric, there are lots of other interesting animals that are legal that you could get.
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Sounds to me someone is just wishing. Anybody with a true intention of owning primates or any other exotic animal would have done research long before coming here. Just a dream and conversation on Pumpz part.