Thanks to Maude for responding to my query re pup's "off again, on again" limp.
If I may reiterate in regard to this problem, we have had her to a Vet who prescribed an anti-inflamatory. It was a wait and see scenario which showed no improvement whatsoever. The lump is now larger and she is being x-rayed tomorrow (by a different Vet). She has been seen by a Vet in her short 7 months more than any other dog we have ever owned!
Hopefully, tomorrow will bring some answers to this "puzzlement!"