Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Hostile Dog Leads Cops on Chase

An article from the Calgary Sun, March 17th, 2010. I think it makes a few pretty obvious points that I don't need to point them out

Canine Destroyed After Being Subdued with Stun Gun

"Police were forced to use a taser on a dog that led them on an hour-long chase in the city's SW Tuesday. Hours later, the large, aggressive dog, which was left to run at large and attacking another canine, was euthanized at its owner's request Animal services was called to assist after the marauding dog (once licensed as a husky-cross) attacked a pit bull cross out for a walk with it's owner and then lunged at police who arrived on scene just before 10 A.M.

The owner of the pitbull had it on a leash and it was in no way the aggressor , he said, adding the pitbull type dog received puncture wounds while its assailant was bitten and kicked by the owner of the attacked canine.

What ensued was an hour long chase, covering several blocks with animal bylaw officers and police trying to capture the dangerous dog. Eventually, the offending dog was temporarily subdued with a stun gun and the semi-conscious canine was loaded into the animal control officer's vehicle and taken to an emergency clinic.

The owner was contacted and made a decision to put it down. 'It's sad when a dog has to be put down. In some cases, it's the right decision'. Bruce said they are investigating how the dog, which had an expired license, was at large and are considering charges.

POINT IN CASE: Any breed of dog (in this case, a husky) has the potential to become a dangerous dog if its owners do not train it, socialize it, and care for it properly (i.e. letting their dog run at large etc.)

BIG POINT IN CASE: Any breed of dog (in this case, a pitbull) has the potential to be a WONDERFUL, NON-AGGRESSIVE pet when socialized, trained, and cared for properly.

I am delighted to see a news story that actually portrays a Pit as they REALLY are! Any dog has the potential to be dangerous, and in this case it was not the Pit and as the Animal Bylaw Officer stated, he was in no way aggressive We need more stories like this to come to surface to shed some new, accurate light on this breed!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama

Last edited by cassiek; March 17th, 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
We need more stories like this to come to surface to shed some new, accurate light on this breed!
Sorry but I don't "need" any more stories of dogs being put down because of their irresponsible owners. People who have an irrational hate or fear of pit bulls are not going to be swayed by a story like this. It's like trying to convince an old Italian lady from the old country (or insert any other stereotype you wish) that there is no devil.
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:30 AM

My reference to "needing" more articles like this was in regards to the fact that any breed of dog has the potential to become dangerous. It's very upsetting that this husky X was euthanized IMO, and fairly clear that its owner is irresponsible; yet stories such as these, however unfortunate they may be, do bring up some valid points that I think are worth sharing (which I stated).

My point in sharing this story was not to "sway" anyone of anything; everyone is entitled to their opinion, rather it is to provide information. People can do with it as they want, but so often (proven fact) the media inaccurately labels many dog attacks as being pitbulls or other breeds they deem as "dangerous" simply based on breed and misinformation. IMO, this only negatively contributes to the image surrounding this breed.

I appreciated how the newspaper wrote this article. I am delighted [/B] that they made it clear the the pitbull was in no way aggressive!! Attitudes such as these are key in turning this breed (and other bully breeds) inaccurate portrayal around.

I firmly believe the only way to educate people and to provide accurate information about the misconceptions surrounding this breed, is to share stories such as these... you would be surprised, Choochi, how many people have had their opinions and "irrational fear and hate" of pitbulls, turned around by stories such as these...

"The greatest danger to our future is apathy" - Jane Goodall

"Only if we understand can we care. Only if we care will we help. Only if we help shall they be saved" - Jane Goodall

How true is it that people will not care about something they don't understand first? Although this story is sad, especially for the husky, I think it clearly shows how this pitbull owner is a responsible owner!

If you don't "need" to hear more "stories" like this, you don't need to read them But I am passionate about this topic, and wanted to share this article with the board

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:35 AM

I was also pleased to see that they are considering charging the owner of the Husky X. Too often irresponsible dog owners are not held accountable for their actions.

Old March 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for sharing that with us. I too think it is great that this paper decided to show pitties in a positive light . The media has the control over our impressions by the way, and which, stories they publish. Just by using a play of words they can give the impression of the opposite of what actually happened. They can also leave out very important details, that if published, would NOT stir up controversy. Of course, they are in the business of selling papers, so they will publish what sells, not necessarily what is the whole truth

Husky X I hope you are in a better place than your human allowed you to be.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

thank you for posting this article, for once the pittie is shown to be the innocent one, I also loved how it pointed out that the owner is more or less at fault and how any dog has the potential to be aggressive!!! You're right cassiek, we do need to see more stories like this, I agree its sad the huskeyX had to be destroyed because of owner stupidity and I hope the book is thrown at the owner...but we all know that won't happen!! My good wishes for a speedy recovery goes out to the pittie.
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

It is a good change for the media to not portray the pit as the aggressor. I feel bad for the huskyx and I'm glad that they are considering charges against it's owner. All too often though, the media reports stories like this in a light that implies the pit is always at fault, no matter what happened - and that definitely perpetuates the mistaken conception that they are inherently vicious dogs. I'm really glad the author made a point of saying that any breed has the potential to be aggressive.
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks guys! I'm glad you can also see the importance of this article as I did

Huskyx. My heart hurts for this dog, he certainly could have made a wonderful pet if he had had a better owner.

I hope the owner does has charges pressed against him, but I somehow doubt it

Old March 18th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I was wary when I read this. I thought, "oh great, another article talking bad about pit bulls." While I feel very bad the Husky had to be put down, I'm pleased that the reporter actually didn't paint the media required bad light on the pit.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:42 AM

ancientgirl, those were my thoughts exactly! When I seen the title of the article in the Herald, I quickly skimmed through the article sure I would find yet another story blaming a pitbull for something or another. Imagine my surprise when the pitbull involved was actually the victum! And on top of that, they made it clear that the pit was in no way aggressive! I think articles like this are so key to slowly turning around the negative image surrounding this breed!

Glad you guys appreciated this article as much as I did, although it had a very tragic ending for this husky pup, I hope some good comes of it, and really hope the owner is charged!!

Old March 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM

If you really enjoy the "pro pit" news stories, you'll like this one:

http://start.shaw.ca/Start/enCA/Vide...ction=declined
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Great video. I live with hope that one day, no dog will be discriminated against.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/