Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Japan's love for pets.

This is really neat. I wish developers thought the same way here.

Japan's love for cats and dogs.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
-

It's so true! I remember reading somewhere that there is actually a rent-a-dog service in Japan.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw on Animal Planet I think, one of those cat cafe's. It's actually very neat. It's a huge room, and the cats all have little kitty condo's and they have toys and things. People who go there either live in apartments where they can't have pets, or they don't have the time to dedicate to a pet. It's good for the cats because the people who come in, pay I think I monthly fee, so these cats who might not have the opportunity to live in a comfortable place and get food on a regular basis benefit greatly.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 8th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, thye might love their pets, but look at how they treat other species!!

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; March 9th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
-

So true. have you seen The Cove ?
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
So true. have you seen The Cove ?
I can't watch things like that. I can't even watch the commercials for Humane Society and the ASPCA.

I've read on other sites people commenting on it, and it makes me sick, that humans think they have the right to do this to a species.

Old March 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I can't watch things like that. I can't even watch the commercials for Humane Society and the ASPCA.

I've read on other sites people commenting on it, and it makes me sick, that humans think they have the right to do this to a species.
I hear ya. It's an eye opener for many though and a call to action.
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Japan has cat Cafe's where you can go and pay to play with cats.
As far as their fishing practices there, it's really not reflective of the general culture, if you noticed on The Cove the majority of people they asked about dolphin slaughter on the street had no idea it was occurring. Like with any country there are people who care and people who don't.
People also say the same thing about Canadians and the seal hunt, so you can't paint a whole culture with one brush.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Then you don't want to see the Sea of Slaughter or Earthlings. Both documentaries.

Sorry no matter how much they love their pets..I can't praise them. Not when they have so much disresept for other life.

ACO22
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Most (all maybe?) of the whaling industry is actually funded by the government. I've seen figures that show the general population as a whole actually has very little interest in consuming whale or dolphin meat.
There are other things I disagree with in their culture relating to animals, but things like caring properly for their domesticated pets is a really good step in having respect for animals in general.

Considering our fishing industries and how many animals are hurt or killed by them (not to mention the harvest of animals like sharks), and how many animals are hurt and killed by certain practices in North America (dumping chemicals, littering, etc.) it seems hypocritical to say what they do is bad without looking at ourselves. There's no reason we can't praise them for the steps foward they're taking. It takes a lot of time to change a culture or the practices of their government.

Besides, whose to say the GOOD publicity they get for doing the humane thing isn't good to have as big an effect as negative publicity for the bad things they do? Praising cultures for the GOOD they do is a way to bring attention to the things we feel they shouldn't be doing and push them into doing right in other areas.