Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old February 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Question about cabbage.

Some time ago my mom bought a red cabbage, used half of it then put the rest of it in plastic wrap in the fridge. A week later it was all wilty and I was going to throw it out, but my mom thought it was growing (where it was sliced in half it was starting to push up/increase in height like stem, i thought it was just dehydrated and the rings were separating). ANyoo, she put it in an empty pot and my dad and I both bet nothing would happen.

Lo and behold

Name:  Onnie14.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  76.5 KB

I'm not quite sure what it's doing. Its pretty though. BUt i googled and googled and as far as I can tell, you can't grow a cabbage head. Also, there were no roots or antying

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Never say never! Apparently you have grown a cabbage head. Very pretty.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Very neat! There must have been a bit of viable plant left in order to do that. Now you're going to have tons of us trying that!! Green thumb mom!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

It's just so weird. It was literally sliced in half and put in the fridge for over a week!

This is all growing up from the flat sliced surface. Isn't that just crazy???

I was just curious really, whether anyone knew you could do this? If anything I thought it would only have worked before slicing in half/refrigeration

Now I'm gonna have to do this to another cabbage on purpose just to experiment!

Has anyone ever let cabbage go to seed? I wonder if this cabbage is just picking up where it left of in the field, albeit after a long hibernation period.

Last edited by onster; February 21st, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Got below from http://heirloom--seeds.com/Saving_Cabbage_Seeds.html

Quote:
SAVING SEEDS
This is a two-year project, and also the chance that your prize cabbage variety will swap pollen with both other cabbages and cabbage family relatives. Keep plant intended for seed at least 300 feet from them. Use a loose mulch to help plant overwinter, or in colder zones, unearth the plant, roots and all, and keep them indoors on a cool, humid spot for setting out in the spring. In the second year, you can help the flower stalk to come forth by slashing an X in the top of each cabbage's head. Wait until the seed heads turn brown before collecting the seeds.

so slicing the head right in half probably acted like an extreme version of slashing an X into the had, which encouraged the flowering stalk

now if only I actually liked cabbage enough to want to collect cabbage seeds lol, seed exchange next yr anyone??? hahaha

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The cold would have acted to suspend the growth so that is why your mom got the thing to sprout. With the right conditions it did. Now she can start her own cabbage growing business.
If she waits till the seed heads turn brown I'll grab a few seeds from you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

oh my mom will let it go brown alright, she wouldnt have the heart to get rid of it before she's 100% sure it's dead. She gave me a lecture when I wanted to throw it out and she thought it was growing "its alive onster! that would be so cruel to throw a living thing in the garbage, how could u?!?!?!" me: alriiiight mom Ill plant your precious cabbage. Don't look at me when it rots

Guess who's eating her words now? lol Mom's always right.

Wouldnt it need bees and such for the flowers to be pollinated tho?

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You'd think it would need pollen from another plant, wouldn't you? Unless it's one of those self-pollinating plants and even then, it would need a pollinator. I suppose you could try transferring pollen from one flower to the next with a Q-tip

It makes a pretty flowering plant! I would never have expected that from a cabbage!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster, I have some bad mac and cheese in my fridge. Can you make me a mac and cheese plant, pleeeease?
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
Onster, I have some bad mac and cheese in my fridge. Can you make me a mac and cheese plant, pleeeease?
Fresh from the plant to the table! I like that idea!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster,,,tap the plant every 24 hrs in case it's like a tomato plant that needs a bit of wind to move the pollen around. You can grow tomatoes in the house if u tap the plant evey 24 hrs when it's flowering to get the pollen to move from flower to flower.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Guess who's eating her words now?
Better that than cabbage, right? .

Actually, grated red cabbage left to sit overnight in the fridge with oil, red wine vinegar, and salt makes a great salad .

I think the plant looks really pretty.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:31 AM

Very pretty

I know potatoes left in a dark cupboard will start sprouting & if you cut enough of the potato around the sprout & plant it you will grow a potato - no guarentee on taste/size though so I guess it's not too far fetched to grow cabbage plant - there may be no actual cabbage head that comes of it though possibly just the plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
now if only I actually liked cabbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food