Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 31st, 2010, 09:53 PM

Question Can you please answer a question about vets?

About 12yrs ago I was looking out my front window and I saw something strange on my lawn. Wanting to look
closer I went out side and walked up to this tiny furry thing. The furry thing just stood there looking away from me for a moment
as I walked closer. This furry thing now turned around, saw me and began to bark and run around me. Picking her up one thing
was immediately apparent, she had stolen my heart, and I knew it. Not seeing anyone around that might have lost the little fuzzy
thing I brought her inside. I put her down and started to go to my bedroom to get something, as I went I began to close the door
behind me, the look in the eyes of the furry thing stopped me dead in my tracks, there was no way I wasn't bringing her too.
After placing and ad in the news paper and checking with some neighbors, the little thing it seemed would be staying with us.
She has been my constant companion every since.

There are not words to describe how important she is to me, I couldn't love a child any more. Not having alot of experience
with dogs as I grew up, I thought you pretty much feed them pet them walk them (always in my yard) and did not see the need
for rabies shots, vet visits, etc. And all and all things have been a little more wonderful around here since she has come.

Now she is having problems that appear to be age related (hips harder to walk, and a probable partially collapsed trachea)
that may be helped with a visit to the Vet. I would like to have her seen, but we are afraid that she might be taken away from us
because she has no license, tag, shots. So we have not sought out a vet and have tried to help in our own way, without much
success. Additionally there are limited funds available for such an expenditure. We have been warned by others that if we try to
take her in to a vet, that we will never see her again. We would just like to see if she can be made more comfortable with some
type of medications. Can you please tell me if this is true? I'm not sure how much time she really has left, and if she does have some time
left I'd like her to be as comfortable as is financially possible while we spend that time the best way we can. I can assure you that my pain
is equal to any she may be experiencing. I don't know what to do.

B

Last edited by Capt. Jack; January 31st, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Please do not post personal e-mail addresses on the forum.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:22 PM

Hi B,

The vet won't be able to take your dog away from you because of lack of licensing. They won't even ask about that, at least I've never been asked of it. A vet will probably suggest you get vaccinations though. Your dog would probably appreciate a good check up. The vet will be able to diagnose any issues she has, and help to overcome them or make her more comfortable. As dogs age it is often helpful to add MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin to their daily food. You can buy a doggie mix at most good dog food stores.
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

No need to fear confiscation of your little sweetie, that would be theft! Vets are supposed to help animals, not be "police". I would be cautious about giving her any vaccinations until you know what her issues might be (if she even needs them at all). Vax should only be given to healthy animals.

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM

I'm in agreement with the other posters.

Having your dog checked out by a vet will hopefully put your mind at ease, and you might even get some feedback that you can use to help your dog feel more comfortable....

Adding MSM to the food is a good idea

Best of Luck
Will be my home.
-Robert N. Service
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

you must have had her at a vets in the 12 yrs you've owned her??
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM

Have no fear about the vet taking your dog away from you. I have never been asked for any license or any documentation when I took my dogs to the vet.

I am just curious though about your statement:
partially collapsed trachea

How did you come up with this? I wouldn't know what to look for or what the symptoms are to come up with that kind of conclusion.

Good luck
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

How sad.

You need to take your dog to the vet. One of the single most prominant issues with unvetted dogs in the South is heartworms.

Tags
hips, medicine, pom, trachea