Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 8th, 2010, 07:11 AM

10 month old dog new pregnancy

My puppy has an umbilical hernia and has become pregnant even though I kept her from other dogs. I had a fence jumper get to her. She's been very uncomfortable and is not sleeping well. Her hernia is fine, no redness, not warm to the touch. I'm just wondering if her lack of comfort and inability to sleep is normal for her. She's at the half-way point of her pregnancy.

Thank you
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Geek Club CEO

I'm not a breeder, and have never raised a litter of puppies. Few people here have, so this probably isn't the best place to come to for advice.

The wisest thing would be to contact your vet for advice asap. In fact, if your pup hasn't seen a vet at any point during her pregancy, now would be a good time to go...she should be examined to make sure everything is ok, especially since she is only a puppy herself (10 months is VERY young to be carrying a litter).

You'll probably also want to get advice (and supplies) on hand-rearing newborn puppies; it's not terribly uncommon for very young bitches to be lousy mothers-you may very well find yourself being a surrogate "mom", and you'll want to be prepared for this possibility.

While you're at the vet, book an appointment to have her spayed, so this kind of accident doesn't happen again.

Good luck to the little gal.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

The only way to ever ensure that a dog doesn't become pregnant is to have them spayed.
But what's done is done, :sad:
With her being so young and uncomfortable, I strongly recommed you take her to a vet, her life could depend on it.
Pleas let us know how she's doing.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Has she been examined by a vet? She is a high risk pregnancy at such a young age. Aside from the general consensus on here about spaying/neutering (I hope she is spayed after this), I would recommend a solid veterinary book with extensive coverage on pregnancy in dogs. If you have had her for only 8 months (assuming she was acquired at 2 months of age), have you tried getting in touch with the original breeder in regards to questions as well?
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm a softy

What kind of dog is it? Have you had her to the vet yet? I am sorry, but really you need a vet that can actually see your dog to ask.

In many many areas there are bylaws about letting a female in heat out, even in your yard. It is easy to blame the male dog and owners for getting to your dog, however the onus is on you as male dogs will be very determined and come from miles away to get there. It is very important to be vigilant and responsible when one has a dog that has been allowed to go into heat.

A hernia is fairly common in some dogs, and can be fixed usually easily when the dog is spayed, it is a reason to get the spay done sooner, your dog is definitely old enough to be spayed.

The best thing to do is go to the vet as soon as you possibly can. There she can have the hernia looked at, you do need the answer. She can have her abdomen palpated, and you can be told your options and make sure you are prepared to take this on. There is a high chance the mother will want nothing to do with pups, and there is a risk to her health. Also it would be prudent to have some testing done, as the dogs can transmit stds, and the male could have been a carrier for many bad things.

It is a wise time to get educated and make sure you get prepared, especialy because of her age i would be making many regular visits to the vet. Fingers crossed for the health of your dear momma dog.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter