Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Chris21711 Chris21711 is offline
-
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Queensville, Ontario
Posts: 8,992
Nice of the girls to give you friendly tips on disposing of DH

Back on topic, kinda, if you have squirrels around LP, I found when using the onion bags, the squiggies chewed the bag also and the suet dropped to the ground and the dawgs ate it ....then they were sick
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
hazelrunpack's Avatar
hazelrunpack hazelrunpack is offline
Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just east of the Hazelnut Patch, Wisconsin
Posts: 49,497
If you buy some commercial suet and a standard metal suet cage, you can use the empty suet container as a mold for your home-made suet and it will fit in the suet cage The only investment is a few cakes of commercial suet and the suet feeder.
__________________
"We are--each of us--dying; it's how we live in the meantime that makes the difference."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:51 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Nice of the girls to give you friendly tips on disposing of DH
That what friends are for .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Back on topic, kinda, if you have squirrels around LP, I found when using the onion bags, the squiggies chewed the bag also and the suet dropped to the ground and the dawgs ate it ....then they were sick
Our fence is inside the line of trees to the woods so the dogs can't get to the suet...or the squirrels . I'm gonna have to remember to pick up a bag of peanuts for the squirrels too then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If you buy some commercial suet and a standard metal suet cage, you can use the empty suet container as a mold for your home-made suet and it will fit in the suet cage The only investment is a few cakes of commercial suet and the suet feeder.
I'm going to get dh to help make a few homemade feeders first though...then have him drive me to the stores to get the commercial suet feeders .

Hopefully I'll have them ready and up by tomorrow afternoon .
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:03 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I'm going to get dh to help make a few homemade feeders first though...then have him drive me to the stores to get the commercial suet feeders .

Hopefully I'll have them ready and up by tomorrow afternoon .

WOO HOO ....congrats on getting dh to help you make the feeders.

Perhaps all of our comments last night reached him telepathically while he was sleeping.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
WOO HOO ....congrats on getting dh to help you make the feeders.

Perhaps all of our comments last night reached him telepathically while he was sleeping.
Wait! I haven't told him he's helping yet .
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Wait! I haven't told him he's helping yet .
I am disappointed in him ....he should have got the hints by now.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:31 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
I just have to bring in some wood tomorrow, drag out his tools, make a mess and pretend like I have no idea what I'm doing (which I don't )...and he'll grumble, "ohforchrissakes, givemethat, I'll do it." Works every time .
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:42 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759


I actually think they like it when we manipulate them like that.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
Yeah, someone's got to think up of things for them to do to keep them busy .

__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
yep ........ mine is 66 yr old and the best thing would be is if he went back to work so I don't have to put up with him 24/7.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Jenkinsdjtg Jenkinsdjtg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 68
I know im late to this thread but heres my home recipe.
(i guess the measurements)

•Peanut butter
•Lard/suet
•Bird seed
•Berries
•Whole nuts
•Butter
•Canola Oil
•Sugar

Mix ingredients in saucepan over low heat until melted then add solid ingredients.
Pour into molds and freeze.
-add more lard/suet for a higher melting point.
freeze twine into the suet to hang it.

Last edited by Jenkinsdjtg; January 5th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813


Made the apple thingies Bendy showed us...got friggen peanut butter all over the place and spilled a bag of cornmeal. Once they were pretty much done, I stood there like a fool for 15 minutes trying to "think" of how to tie them together . Of course DH had to walk in at that point and just started laughing at me . So I just made individual ones. Went to the back gate to get into the woods and it's frozen solid . Decided to walk around the outside of the fence and by the time I got into the side yard, the snow drifts are up to my hips...and my boot came off and filled with snow . So I hung them on a tree on the side of the house with no view from the windows .

So, how bloody long does it take the suet mixture to harden? Cuz they've been in my fridge for hours now and it's still all mush :sad:. And what's up with dehydrating blueberries in the oven?? At the rate it's going, it'll be March before they're dried .
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
So the blueberries now look like tiny pieces of gravel . Think the birds will still like them ?

And the suet cakes hardened up some but are still too soft imo. Can I put them in the freezer and hang out once they're frozen? That sounds like a silly question, I know...they'll freeze outside anyways .
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
hazelrunpack's Avatar
hazelrunpack hazelrunpack is offline
Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just east of the Hazelnut Patch, Wisconsin
Posts: 49,497
Go ahead and freeze 'em. As you say....it's cooooolldd outside! The birds will eat them whether they're hard or not, though.

I've heard that if you render the suet twice, it makes it firmer, but I've never done it.
__________________
"We are--each of us--dying; it's how we live in the meantime that makes the difference."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:53 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
Ummmm ....does this mean that we're not getting pics now? :sad:
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Marcha's Avatar
Marcha Marcha is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greater Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
But the dollar store chocolate is ....LP has her own chocolate and it's the yummiest chocolate that I ever tasted.
Must have more detail about this yummiest chocolate please.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Chris21711 Chris21711 is offline
-
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Queensville, Ontario
Posts: 8,992
LP we need pics of your latest venture .....
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post


Made the apple thingies Bendy showed us...got friggen peanut butter all over the place and spilled a bag of cornmeal. Once they were pretty much done, I stood there like a fool for 15 minutes trying to "think" of how to tie them together . Of course DH had to walk in at that point and just started laughing at me . So I just made individual ones. Went to the back gate to get into the woods and it's frozen solid . Decided to walk around the outside of the fence and by the time I got into the side yard, the snow drifts are up to my hips...and my boot came off and filled with snow . So I hung them on a tree on the side of the house with no view from the windows .

So, how bloody long does it take the suet mixture to harden? Cuz they've been in my fridge for hours now and it's still all mush :sad:. And what's up with dehydrating blueberries in the oven?? At the rate it's going, it'll be March before they're dried .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
LP we need pics of your latest venture .....
I would love to see of video of this latest adventure
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkinsdjtg View Post
I know im late to this thread but heres my home recipe.
(i guess the measurements)

•Peanut butter
•Lard/suet
•Bird seed
•Berries
•Whole nuts
•Butter
•Canola Oil
•Sugar

Mix ingredients in saucepan over low heat until melted then add solid ingredients.
Pour into molds and freeze.
-add more lard/suet for a higher melting point.
freeze twine into the suet to hang it.
I too am interested in making my own suet.

Where do I get the suet fat from? When you state Lard, is that baking lard you get in the baking aisle?
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I would love to see of video of this latest adventure
I would have loved to see a video of it too...a good laugh was needed at that point .

L4H, you can get beef or pork fat at a butcher. You just melt/cook it down slowly in a pot to make the lard...careful, it has to be on low heat! Or some deli's/butchers already have it in lard form.

So here are a few pics I managed to take. First two are Bendy's idea...peanut butter and bird seed...and I made a few with cornmeal and cream of wheat (what a mess!). Third pic is the feeder dh made me. I'll take more of it when I get food into it and it's hanging.

Hazel, if the pics are too big, let me know and I'll re-size them.
Attached Images
   
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
No birds found the ones I hung yesterday by the side of the house :sad:. So I put on my snowshoes, dh dug out the back gate (I think he felt sorry for me ), and moved them to the edge of the woods where we've seen Blue Jays and Cardinals already. the birdies find them.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Marcha's Avatar
Marcha Marcha is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greater Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 510
Those look great LP!

And from your lack of response to the chocolate, I presume you're keeping the kind/brand of yummiest chocolate you have a secret from us all?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
hazelrunpack's Avatar
hazelrunpack hazelrunpack is offline
Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just east of the Hazelnut Patch, Wisconsin
Posts: 49,497
They do look great, LP! Patience, patience. The birds will find them....

So nice of dh to make you a feeder!!!!!
__________________
"We are--each of us--dying; it's how we live in the meantime that makes the difference."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post
And from your lack of response to the chocolate, I presume you're keeping the kind/brand of yummiest chocolate you have a secret from us all?
Do you have any Eastern European shops in your area? You'll find some of these brands there I'm sure. The chocolate wafers are my fav .
Attached Images
  
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:28 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
LP, great job on the suet balls and nice job dh did on the holder ....the big marshmallow that he is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Do you have any Eastern European shops in your area? You'll find some of these brands there I'm sure. The chocolate wafers are my fav .
So, you're telling me that I've saved the best ones for the last?

I was in heaven when I ate the Wawel choc bar and went back again with the Jules Destrooper ones which will be gone momentarily.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
Oh, and I hope you tell dh how much we all love him for making the suet holder.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Marcha's Avatar
Marcha Marcha is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greater Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 510
Thanks! Being from Europe, I am familiar with both kinds in the images, and I totally agree they are delicious! There's a Polish shop in the city - I'll see next time I'm there (which might be weeks) if they have those kinds there!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
L4H, you can get beef or pork fat at a butcher. You just melt/cook it down slowly in a pot to make the lard...careful, it has to be on low heat! Or some deli's/butchers already have it in lard form.

So here are a few pics I managed to take. First two are Bendy's idea...peanut butter and bird seed...and I made a few with cornmeal and cream of wheat (what a mess!). Third pic is the feeder dh made me. I'll take more of it when I get food into it and it's hanging.

Hazel, if the pics are too big, let me know and I'll re-size them.
Ohhhhh, not only are they feeding the sweet birds, they are so pretty too

I know my butcher keeps a huge barrel that all his waste goes into, but there is some scrapings of meat attached, I assume I would have to take all traces of meat off it?
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 7.69%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.