Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Guinea Pig Questions

Good morning all,

I am hoping that I would find some answers here regarding the newest additions to our family.

For Christmas my husband got me two very cute and lovable guinea pigs whom I have named Ben & Jerry (after the ice cream manufactures). They are two brothers from the same litter (as per the pet store).
I didn’t know too much about these furry little love balls but I have done some research and am learning a lot.

I have already learnt that the store bough cage we got from the pet store was not nearly big enough so I made them a C&C cage. But I still didn’t think that was big enough so I am currently in the process of making them another C&C cage that is 70 x 56 (and two levels). I have started using fleece as bedding and have put a litter box in their cage. They seem to use it while the cage is really clean (for about three days after I change out the fleece). Then they just end up pooping everywhere. I am taking this as a sign they really like a clean cage and are very fussy about it. Once I have more fleece I will be changing it out every two to three days.

I have found that Ikea has the best price on good quality fleece so I will be going there in the next few days (once I have the big cage finished).
The reason why I am posting (and I think I may already know the answer to this) they seem to be trying to “have relations” with each other… In the dog would this is just a dominance thing. And if that is the case than I don’t have an issue. BUT I have heard many stories of people purchasing Pigs from pet stores (two boys, or two girls) and finding out they have a Girl and a Boy… and the way the pet owner finds this out is 30 days later they have baby pigs on their hands.

So I am really hoping that they are just trying to figure out who’s the top Pig.
(These actions are one of the main reasons the new cage is going to be so big. I just think that if they are able to get away from each other than I won’t have to cranky teenage piggies on my hands.)

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912