Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM

I'm concerned about my dog's health

I'm concerned for my 7 year old female shelty. On sunday night when I let her outside she tried to poop for about 30 minutes to no avail. I woke up the next morning to find vomit in several spots.

Because of her sudden illness my dad took her to the vet. on monday. My parents were sure to point out that her anal glands needed expressed and the vet. did the 'proceedure' and found that they were 4 times the size of what they should have been. The doctor also took a urine sample that will not have the results revealed untill next week, and perscribed some antibiotics to her.

Since her visit she has yet to poop. She tries and tries but nothing comes out. When she is free in the house she tries to go but can't. I suspect that her glands were a problem but not the actual cause of her constipation as it has persisted for 3 days after the procedure. I believe the true cause of her symptoms have yet to be found and I'm worried that waiting untill monday just may be too late.

--I'm concerned because I believe it may be a digestive tract blockage..I have no idea how serious this is but I imagine it could lead to death. My parents usally take care of the animals but they went out of town today and won't be back untill sunday; they are content with waiting untill the urinalysis results come back next week but again I wonder if that will be too late.

She has had health problems before mostly due to a thyroid problem we didnt know about. (she gets a daily pill for her thyroid now). And I think she had to have kidney stones removed a few years ago. My parents don't seem very concerned at this point as they took her to the vet on monday and problem assume they "did their job." And the fact that shes had problems before leaves them not very aggressive about this, and now their out of town.

So thats it..Any suggestions, concerns, comments are greatly appreciated. Hearing from a few people here could help ease my concern for at least tonite. What do you think?

again-- She hasn't pooped in about 4.5 days, she tries about 10x when i let her outside but nothing comes out. Also she is still eating and drinking normally.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Hello ngordon319 and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. We have lots of experienced dog owners who will be able to provide some guidance and support.
I don't have any advice for you, but I will think of your puppy and hope she gets better.
Cheers.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I would be concerned about a blockage as well, ngordon. When you put your ear to her side behind her ribs, can you hear popping and gurgling? It would be quite faint, so you'll have to get her in a quiet room. If you don't hear these normal noises, I'd be concerned.

Is she still eating and drinking?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM

re:

i agree with hazelrunpack, check the stomach part for disturbing sounds. try to give soft foods until the condition surpasses. and don't leave your pet alone. monitor your pet's activity especially the pooping and urinating.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM
-

nngordon319, how is your dog doing? Do you have an update for us?
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Update: Lizzie went to the vet. today and had an ultrasound done. It turns out she has bladder stones again (It was bladder stones the first time not kidney stones.) So she goes under the knife tommorow at 8 a.m. (tuesday). So hopefully it will be another successfull removal of the stones. Unfortunately it's going to cost $1500, but I think its well worth it to keep a member of our family around for longer.

Another note: She has been eating and drinking normally throughout the last few weeks and our only indication that something was wrong was her inability to do her business as usual.
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for a successful surgery tomorrow, ngordon! I'll keep the both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."