Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
New Around Here

Our Puppy is Spitting Up Yellow Stuff

Hi everyone. Our little Sally has spit up 3 or 4 times in the last two days, with some yellow mucousy "stuff" (looks like bile?). Otherwise, she seems fine. Her eating/drinking/behaviour are all normal. There is a tremendous heat wave here right now, and she is in the last week of heat, but I don't know if those things have anything to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this with their dog/s?
Attached Images

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, we've noticed an increase in upchucking during heat waves, too. Is she trying to chow down on grass as well? Ours often step up their grazing when it gets hot. Occasional vomiting of bile is usually normal. Does it seem to mostly be when her stomach is empty (right before meals)?

Keep an eye on her and make sure she's getting enough water. If she gets worse, gets lethargic, goes off her food, quits drinking, or has trouble eliminating, she'll need a vet visit, of course.

Hormones may also be playing a role. Spaying would eliminate that factor.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
New Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Yes, we've noticed an increase in upchucking during heat waves, too. Is she trying to chow down on grass as well? Ours often step up their grazing when it gets hot. Occasional vomiting of bile is usually normal. Does it seem to mostly be when her stomach is empty (right before meals)?

Yes ! That's when; she's also munchin' on the grass.

Keep an eye on her and make sure she's getting enough water. If she gets worse, gets lethargic, goes off her food, quits drinking, or has trouble eliminating, she'll need a vet visit, of course.

Hormones may also be playing a role. Spaying would eliminate that factor.
Thank you so much !
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Geek Club CEO

when one of our dogs was a pup she would often get the yellow biley barfs in the morning, especially if she'd munched grass during her morning pee. I find now that she will still do it if she goes too long between meals...it can be a sign of a very hungry tummy...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
New Around Here

I feel better now. Thank you for the info.

Sally and I just shared a fruit juice popsicle together. She enjoys them when it's hot.

So, why do dogs and cats eat grass for, anyways?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The closest I've ever come to an answer to that question about dogs is that they do it to throw up! They seem to enjoy it! Not hazel's cup of tea, though--specially when they do it inside on the carpet!

It does seem to settle their tummies afterward, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM

My dog, who is a poodle, and is now over 16 years old, still heaves up yellow stuff occasionally. I have found by allowing him to munch on some grass, will settle his stomach. Why this us so is beyond me. I think this is normal, especially for smaller breeds of dogs.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Owned by goldens

Our puppy

my pup has done that twice this week. I recently changed his food so I think it may have had something to do with it. Both times he brought up bile it was early in the morning (4:00 a.m.) so I think it may have been that he had an empty stomach.

Last edited by coppperbelle; September 23rd, 2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something