Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Overweight Cat

Hi, I have a 2 and a half year old cat named Caleb who weighs 18.5 lbs. All I usually ever feed him is a dry food which is for weight management and sometimes he gets treats like chicken, cheese or a small can of wet food. I am wondering what type of diet he should be put on, the dry food or wet? I am hearing different things about both, such as developing bad teeth while eating only dry. Thanks! Tutty*
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Hi Tutty!

So I had the exact same problem with my cat. In fact, my thread had the exact same title. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62818

You'll find some amazing advice there from the knowledgeable members here on pets.ca. (In short, the answer is wet food!)

Hope that helps for now. Good luck, you can do it! My Charlie weighed 25 lbs when the THS picked him up, and he's down to about 18. It can be done.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks! That's great he lost all that weight! Caleb actually likes the wet food better but I hardly ever gave it to him, always assuming it was bad. I don't remembering seeing any types of wet food that was for weight management. Which brand names would be good? Another thing I normally just give him one bowl of dry food for the day. How much and how often would you feed him the wet food? Thanks!!
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

tutty, Endoffashion gave you a great thread to check out. Two or three of the most knowledgable kitty guru's on here answered her questions there. Sugarcatmom and Growler amongst others pretty much cover all the bases when it comes to the cats on pets. Foods that come to mind are Wellness canned, Merrick, etc... you want to go grain free for the kitty.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I don't have the best advice re: feeding amounts.....but what I can tell you is you don't need a weight management formula. The good quality canned foods don't even make it because it's not needed.

Cats (and dogs!) metabolize protein more efficiently than carbs because that's what thet were designed to eat - meat. Weight loss food is FULL of carbs because they use so much fibre and filler to keep kitty "feeling" full. As soon as they burn through the carbs they're starving again. Feeding a grain-free, high-quality meat source food will keep your cat's blood sugar levels stable and keep him actually feeling fuller longer.

When my cousin switched from Hill's weight management to Blue Buffalo Wilderness her cat stopped demanding his meals every four hours and he lost the weight he needed to.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM

There are some links provided throughout that thread that are really informative - most are for www.catinfo.org, so definitely check those out.

We've been alternating between Wellness grain-free and Performatrin (which was the only wet food we found for weight management). Both are sold at Pet Valu. Charlie also loved Merrick's B.G. (before grain). Honestly, you don't really need to feed a diet formula wet food - just having your cat on wet as opposed to dry should make a huge difference. Like I said, we only feed Charlie the weight management wet food every second or third day. The point is that wet food in general is higher in protein and lower in carbs.

We feed him about 6 oz. of food a day. We buy the big 12 oz cans of cat food (cheaper per oz), and feed him about a quarter of the can in the morning and another quarter of the can at night. It's a good idea to have scheduled feedings so that you can monitor his appetite - we recently noticed Charlie had stopped eating and after an emergency trip to the vet tonight, we think he may have fatty liver disease. If you haven't heard of this yet, definitely do a quick google search - it's very serious and common in overweight cats who experience sudden anorexia/rapid weight loss.

A healthy weight for a cat to lose if about 0.5 lb per month - don't try to rush it!

Teeth were a concern for us too, as Charlie already has some gingivitis. We add Vet Aquadent to his water as a preventive measure, but he'll probably need a cleaning soon anyway. Honestly, he can't be put under anesthetic to have dental work done until he loses more weight, so for us his weight loss took temporary precedence over his teeth! (And some vets don't believe there is a correlation between wet food and dental problems).
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Oh I almost forgot - personally, we completely cut out all treats. And of course we try to get Charlie active by playing with him...not the easiest task, let me tell you...
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Thanks everyone! This information is very helpful! I havn't heard of any of those brand names and we don't have a Pet Valu here.. haha but I'm going to write them down and have a look around. If I can't find any, I'll just gradually switch him to wet food. I've seen that stuff you put in their water to help clean their teeth too and was wondering if that works.. I may try it for him. Thanks again everyone! And good luck with Charlie!
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM

Global Pet Foods should also carry some of those brands - not sure if there's one where you are. I think if you go to the Wellness website you can search for distributors in your area.

Don't know how effective the Aquadent is, but it's relatively inexpensive and it can't hurt! Good luck with Caleb and definitely keep us updated!
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM

haha yeah he doesn't like to exercise much at all either. not in the house anyway. Sometimes I will take him outside and he likes to run around in the grass a bit. Once a day, just for about an hour.
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:32 AM

Thanks again! I will check it out and keep you posted!
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Slave to the Kitties

If there are none of those brands around you, or there too costly for you, you can feed some of the fancy feast variety's. Pate's/ground only.

Bear 1994-2010 Oggie 1996-2011 Sis 1996-2012
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM

That's what I got actually some fancy feast. Thanks !!
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Cat fur a messss!

Soo.. do many people give their cat a bath? I never gave Caleb a bath before and I know he hatesss water. But since he can't reach his lower back to clean it, it's a mess! It started off sort of oily and had dandruff but lately it's all matted. I thought it was a sticker or something from outside at first but there is nothing in there. It's all matted together and sticking up. I'm not sure how to get rid of it and I'm thinking I may have to shave it? It's really close to the skin.
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM

I have a friend who bathes her cats every week. Unfortunately that seems to only be possible if you start bathing them when they are kittens.

I would be afraid to bath my cats. I just can't take all that blood and screaming (My blood and screaming ).

The hair mats definitely have to go. I suggest using blunt tipped scissors and an overabundance of caution. After the mats are removed perhaps baby whipes to keep her clean. Although I don't know what chemicals are used in baby whipes, perhaps someone else can chime in on this.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM

haha Yeah I don't think I should start bathing him now. He's 2 and a half. I heard about using conditioner and water on it and to try combing it out? Don't think he'd like that much either though. I'll take your advice and just try to snip it out. thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. haha
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

As far as bathing an older cat, I do think it is possible if you give it a chance, only because we were able to do it with our female. We adopted her when she was a year and a half, so obviously she wasn't a fan of water at this time - but we were determined to give it a go!

We started off bringing a basin of water into the living room in the evenings where we knew she was comfortable, with a big towel. Literally, all I would do was sit by that basin and wait until she came over to me first (this was key).
Once she sniffed the water and started to take a few sips, I'd start by dipping my own hands in the water at the same time. The first time I did this, she backed away, wary.
I just continued and eventually she wandered over to me to get some pets. My hands were already wet, and I just continued dipping my hands in the warm water and petting her.

It was a long process, but she loved it. Very relaxing, no running-water-sounds (which she to this day hates), and we can now fill the tub with a few inches of water and give her a full bath without having a death-match on our hands.

Of course we always keep things very slow and relaxed (which means I have everything ready beforehand) and we talk to her the entire time. The dogs need to be kenneled because for some reason this whole venture really works them up - most likely they can feel her anxiety, so we seperate everyone to ensure that nothing spooks Moo for any reason whatsoever during bathtime.

She still isn't a fan of the tub baths, but I can definitely give her a bath with ease if we go the basin route, which she's used too now and eagerly sits on my lap for her 'grooming session'.

Obviously this won't work for EVERY cat, but it did for us. Don't feel like you have to rule out giving an older cat a bath.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the advice! Sounds less scary then putting him in the tub. I brushed him with water and conditioner. Then cut out all the matted fur. I now brush it everyday as his fur grows back. He looks funny but prob feels alot better. haha I'd like to try washing him that way. He didn't seem to mind the water tooo much when I did that.