Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
<3 XOXOXO <3

Older dog eating strange items?

Resse is my chocolate Lab she is about 11 years old. She is a very laid back dog. We have no behavoiur issues with her and never really had. She has the run of the house can go wherever she wants to. When we woke up this morning we found a small carpet partly chewed and then of course she vomited up the carpet along with a sock and a puzzle peice and her dog food.

I am making her a Vet appointment today but I was wondering if anyone else has come across this behavoiur? She has never chewed anything but her toys or bones before. Never eaten a whole sock or puzzle peices.

I am very confused and worried?

Seth 13
Hunter 7
Emma 3

Reese 10 Years Chocolate Lab
Lexi 1 year English Bull Dog

Hammy (hamster)

Old September 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM
-

You're right ~ a Vet visit is a must. Pica is unusual behaviour for a dog who isn't prone to hoovering everything in sight.
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM

I agree with the check-out. Plus it's a good thing she got all those items up, instead of going through to the other end or getting stuck somewhere along the way. A friend of mine was out thousands after twice having to get socks removed from her dog's digestive tract.

..however I have noticed that as my dog ages (she's nearly 13), she's picked up a few "never did THAT before" quirks, including suddenly discovering after ten years that non-food x-mas gifts/ornaments /clean rolls of paper towels / etc are edible, after leaving such items alone. This in addition to a few other newly developed traits. I think to some degree, these can be part of aging.

Mind you, she has been known to chew a plant or two in her day as a puppy, and trash bins have never been safe in her vicinity. But I do think that some of them go a little wacky in their senior years, much the same way some humans do.