Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 29th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,I hope your hubbie takes full responsability for Casey,she is beautiful by the way,you don't know what she has been through,but she also cannot be allowed to hurt any of your other animals...poor Buddy :sad:
It must be very stressful,but I hope in the end Casey will calm down and realize what wonderful people she was lucky to end up with..
Maybe she'll change after spaying??Maybe there is something medically wrong with her,hence the defensive stance???
Then again what do I know about dog-behaviour???
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I've also heard that fighting dogs will sometimes have their ears cropped extremely short to make it harder for the other dogs to grab and rip them! I think the owners should have their ears cut off when caught and convicted. Then everyone will recognize them for what they are!
Old December 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
I've also heard that fighting dogs will sometimes have their ears cropped extremely short to make it harder for the other dogs to grab and rip them! I think the owners should have their ears cut off when caught and convicted. Then everyone will recognize them for what they are!

Oh yes I agree.....Do unto others.......

Chico.....Hubby has had german shepherds all his life Maybe because he is german I don't know....lol Apparently he made comment about her being a nice dog so bil took it upon himself to save the dog and give it to him

Update about casey......This girl was definitly a BYB she had a female and bred it she had 2 pups that we know of casey and her brother. The mom (dog) would always beat on Casey and she in turn would beat on her brother all 3 were in a 12x12 cage with 2 dog houses with very little to no socialization, the dogs were allowed in on that very cold night though because the bil was staying there that night and insisted, the bil felt sorry for her so he took her.

It will be a slow road but Casey is doing pretty well I think, we reprimand her with a simple loud "NO" when she gets agressive with the others and make her lay down by our feet until she settles. If she continues we tether her to the couch for about 15 minutes then let her off to roam the living room and kithen........last night she was left to roam and she did wonderful all four dogs were fine through the night. She had an accident but thats ok....didn't have her name on it....lol but I assume it was her she coward when I approached the kitchen and saw the mess and said "was that you?".....I did nothing but give her a pat , pick it up and let her outside....she seemed almost surprised I didn't hit her.....but I don't believe in punishment for the dog after an accident.....I believe that we should have let her out more until we learn her schedule that she needs to be an inside dog.

She is slowly learning that she is here to stay and that the other dogs are not a threat, she is also learning that our dogs do not fight for attention because there is always plenty to go around

I think she will be ok....BUT.....we need chew toys for sure , she is definitly a chewer.....loves the corner of our coffee table

P.S. She is interested at the cats but has not bolted for them at all apparently there was kittens at this girls house so she has seen them before, so she is interested but the fast swat of nails is keeping her at bay

This pic was taken yesterday, Casey is laying down by my feet, CJ is on the chair to the left observing, Buddy came over to say hello, then Ursa decided it was all not good she came over to warn Casey not to hurt Buddy.
Note Ursa's teeth underneath Buddy barking at Casey.

Ursa is trying to keep her alpha status
Attached Images

Old December 30th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,I don't doubt that between you and your family,Casey will turn into a wonderful dog,love can make miracles happen
Buddy looks beautiful :love: he was a big trouble-maker,right??look how he turned out,you guys are wonderful
Ursa will have quiet a job keeping her status in the family
Old December 30th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I know of many breeders who do it there.

Tron has his there.So did Yukon and my previous GSD.

Dante,my brothers GSD also has it there.

My sisters one Husky has it there also.

So rest assure guys.Having it there is not a bad thing...

Iggie,sounds like she is going to be fine.Just some time and patience.Once she feels loved and a part of the family,then she will be fine.

The only thing I want to suggest is,don't clean the mess in front of her.And I wouldn't pat her either.This may give her the wrong signals and she may think it's ok.
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I did clean it upo in front of her but the pats came on the porch before I sent her out........But point well taken I shall remember for next time

Chico......I thought Buddy was trouble to until Casey came and showed us what an he is.....lol He still doesn't like to be left alone but he copes just watches out the front window till you leave then I think he settles But our blinds took a beating they are taped together in 2 spots now from broken slots But seriously he has been awesome compared to day one. He has his quirks he still has to overcome but I can really see the progress when I see Casey.....lol
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
I know of many breeders who do it there.

Tron has his there.So did Yukon and my previous GSD.

Dante,my brothers GSD also has it there.

My sisters one Husky has it there also.

So rest assure guys.Having it there is not a bad thing...
I assumed it was the reason they have to put it there that was bad, not the placement. That, and all the cool dogs get ink done on thier legs...
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Glasslass yeah they do,there was a story on the news the other day a pit bill was found and someone took like garden shears and cut the ears off completey,and when i was at the pound there was a dog there and his ears were completley gone,,,,,
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
when i was at the pound there was a dog there and his ears were completley gone,,,,,
That is very disturbing, Your heart must have sank :sad:
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Play toys for chewers

Hi,
I have had a lot of success with the following chew toys for dogs who like to chew.
Since he seems to have a thing for coffee tables why not try to find him something "woody" ? I know this sounds a little nuts but my vet, my sister ( who has raised several Danes) and in our home with dogs that like to chew wood, we have all found that a tree branch ( less the bark) from a soft wood tree ( I think the one angel used was a poplar branch) works wonders. YOu just have to be sure to supervise them as you would with all chew toys. I am not sure where you might find one at this time of year but maybe even a wooden dowel ( one big enough in diameter that the dog won`t chew into slivers. Kong toys seem to work well as do the heavy cotton rope chew toys, they get a bit soggy but they seem to work. Angel has a huge beef bone that she got for Christmas and she spends a lot of time knawing away at it............. you can get them at wal mart and pet cetera, and pretty much any pet store.

Those are the toys that saved my furniture anyway..............

Good Luck!
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

What sickens me is the thought of all those bad owners out there, who think it's macho to own GSDs or Pitts, might do it just to look more "tough". Problem is, they'll do it to the poor dog, not themselves.
Old December 30th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What sickens me is the thought of all those bad owners out there, who think it's macho to own GSDs or Pitts, might do it just to look more "tough". Problem is, they'll do it to the poor dog, not themselves.
Are you talking about the ears?If so,GSD's don't have cropped ears....
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Guess I was lumping them together, wasn't I. Thinking about ears when it was mentioned the tattoo might be on the leg. Why would they tattoo GSDs on the leg?
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
Glasslass yeah they do,there was a story on the news the other day a pit bill was found and someone took like garden shears and cut the ears off completey,and when i was at the pound there was a dog there and his ears were completley gone,,,,,
Not up to speed on this thread yet, first time reading it. I wanted to reply to Glasslass then I found Heidi's post. So......

It is called the "Bell" cut..the ear cartilage is taken down so what's left of the ear fit's flat against the top of the head, if anything is left of it.
This cut was designed for hog hunting dogs, mainly bull dogs that are commenly used here in the south for hog hunting. These nasty wild hogs can be vicious.
Pit bull fighters found this method of ear trimming handy also. Now it is hard to find a vet that does ear cropping of any kind...

Thank You God.
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Guess I was lumping them together, wasn't I. Thinking about ears when it was mentioned the tattoo might be on the leg. Why would they tattoo GSDs on the leg?
It's not just the GSD.Many other breeds have it there also.It just depends on the breeder.Some do it on the ear,and some the inner part of the back leg.As LR's Chloe has one there also.