Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 31st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How long has Frosty been sick? If it's been more than 3 weeks, chances are you'd already have another sick dog if what he had was highly contagious.

Your poor boy! He's had a rather rough 2008 so far so and that the year smiles on him from here on out!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM

He started looking off the 2nd week in December so it has been a while. There are some things like Lepto that can be passed around under certain circumstances but not easily so.

Kelly
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sigh...yeah....I have eight being treated for lepto now, but they didn't catch it from each other. They all chase the same mice

Still, if it's been that long, chances are what Frosty has isn't communicable

How is he doing tonight?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM

Frosty's nose is looking crappy today again - peeling & icky. It had cleared up before. But in general he is feeling better and mooching a little. I never thought I'd be happy to have a dog mooching.

What medication are they on for the lepto and what doses? Do they have any skin lesions, sinus problems or foot issues? I'm still trying to figure out if the external stuff is a seperate issue in my dog. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Kelly
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM

All of them are on amoxicillin for two weeks, then two weeks of doxycycline. Our 50+ lb boys are getting 600 mg of amoxi 3x daily; the girls (les than 50 lbs) will get 500 mg of amoxi 3x daily. The boys will get 150 mg of doxy 2x daily; the girls, 100 mg of doxy 2x daily.

We were lucky. I noticed some lethargy and increased drinking and urination in Cole. Our first thought was anaplasmosis, which we've been battling since Jan 07, but the tests were negative. The vet had just seen a poodle with similar symptoms whose lepto titer turned out to be through the roof, so he tested Cole for lepto, et voila!

So we caught it early and have not seen any other overt symptoms .

We have one dog just getting over folliculitis. I wonder now if the infection occurred because she was also compromised by the underlying lepto? But other than that, we've seen no lesions.

A few weeks ago, they were all sneezing and snarking up mucus from their noses--eventually that resolved to reverse sneezing and cleared up. And again I'm wondering if that was also part and parcel of early lepto infection? Maybe Frosty's immune system was unable to fight it as well as theirs and just came down with all the symptoms at once? An intriguing thought...

I remember you said something about checking for lepto--did they run a lepto titer on Frosty? When was it run?

But I don't even know if the upper respiratory symptoms or the skin lesions are typical for lepto...and it may all be just a coincidence. Dawg knows our crew is very active in passing things around to each other--one of the downsides of having a Pack of 8. It could just be folliculitis and it could just be URIs. But it is an intriguing thought nonetheless...

Glad to hear that Frosty is mooching! A mooching dog is always a good sign.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM

I don't have the blood test results back yet for the lepto test but I saw your photo of the dog with the scabby nose on another post. Did the lepto do that? My dog has a scabby nose too & the scabs are starting to come back. We are only using 375 mg of Clavamox 3 times a day. I wonder if it's enough. And I wonder if the bacteria is getting resistant. He's starting to pant again a nights like he did when he was really sick.

Kelly
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM

That was the folliculitis--and irritation and subsequent deep infection of the hair follicles on Ridge's nose. It's not extremely uncommon, and Ridge's immune system has always seemed a little less robust than the others', so we didn't think too much of it. But now I'm wondering if the onset of lepto did play a roll

At any rate, I misspoke--until her folliculitis is totally cleared up, Ridge is on 375 mg of clavamox (a beefed up form of amoxicillin) 2x daily (she weighs about 44 pounds), then we'll switch her to doxycycline to finish off any leptospirosis that might have made it through the extended clavamox treatment.

When she was first diagnosed with folliculitis, the vets said that cephalexin was the drug of choice, but Ridge has never tolerated cephalexin well, so they put her on the second drug of choice: clavamox. Given the lepto exposure, it was a fortunate choice.

If Frosty turns out not to have leptospirosis, maybe cephalexin would help with the sores?

I hope the lepto titer comes back soon so you know if that's what Frosty's battling. Regardless of the results, it would at least give the vets a little more information to go on! You must be so frustrated and anguished over this! I just can't imagine

Old September 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Follow Up

For anyone who followed this thread my dog had Pemphigus. We managed it for just over a year with prednizone and then he had another serious Kidney/liver infection. We put him down yesterday.

If anyone needs info on this disease I might be able to help. Uncontrolled it produces lesions and crusting on the body, footpads, face (especially the nose) & sometimes on genitals. It is often accompanied by serious kidney & liver infections.

Kelly
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Kelly,thank you for the update,even though it was a sad one,so very sorry for your loss
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Frosty was a beauty. I am so sorry for your loss.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM

kelly, i am so very sorry for your loss
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I am very sorry for your loss. I wish I had the right thing to say but I do not except to tell you that your baby knew how much he was cherished and loved.

Bless you little man. Run Free.
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Kelly, I'm so sorry about Frosty I was hoping for a better outcome. :sad:

He was certainly a well-loved boy.

Frosty

Old September 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM

I'm so sorry :sad:

sweet Frosty He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food