Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM
suzanjane suzanjane is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 6
stinky dog head NOT ear infection

My altered male dog intermittently emits an odour from the top of his head that smells foul greasy smell; not like excrement ....... this smell is not anywhere else on his body. He does not have an ear infection, he does not have bad breath. Are there glands on his head that could produce this odor and if so what can i do about eliminating it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Marty11's Avatar
Marty11 Marty11 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Gwillimbury, ON
Posts: 1,123
Look for a hot spot behind the ear from scratching, and also under the collar. My golden had a hot spot right under the collar and it was the smell that I noticed first.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
bendyfoot's Avatar
bendyfoot bendyfoot is offline
Geek Club CEO
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,019
No, there aren't any glands in the head that would emit such a noticeable odor.

Our dog Jaida was often called "Farty McCheese", because generally she smelled cheesy/greasy, most noticeably around her head and ears...

until we changed her diet from kibble to a diet consiting of raw meaty bones and offal. What are you feeding your dog right now?
__________________
Owned by:
Solomon - black DSH - king of kitchen raids (11)
Gracie - Mutterooski X - scary smart (9)
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
__________
Boo, our Matriarch (August 1 1992 - March 29 2011)
Riley and Molly
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
hazelrunpack's Avatar
hazelrunpack hazelrunpack is offline
Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just east of the Hazelnut Patch, Wisconsin
Posts: 49,746
It doesn't smell like his urine, does it? Our dogs often get what we call 'potty head'. They pee on some leaves then get it on top of their heads when they sniff around after. Dogs! Whaddya gonna do?
__________________
"We are--each of us--dying; it's how we live in the meantime that makes the difference."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:29 PM
im_nomad im_nomad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 81
suzan when you say "no infection" has it been checked ? My dog picked up a fungal infection a couple of summers ago that I *think* she either picked up during a particularly rainy week or from the pile of seaweed she had rolled in at the beach. She stunk (weird yeast-y, cheese-y smell ).

Does his head FEEL greasy, or just smell rancid ? Dogs can have seborrhea can't they ?
__________________
Someday I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
dogcatharmony's Avatar
dogcatharmony dogcatharmony is offline
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 1,073
I had the same experience ImNomad had, just a nasty smell and it ended up being a bacterial infection that she picked up at the beach. Only caught a whiff of it once in awhile....but it was stinky.
__________________
My personal take on cat purring:
1 cat Mono
2 cats Stereo
3+ cats......Surround sound
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
suzanjane suzanjane is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
No, there aren't any glands in the head that would emit such a noticeable odor.

Our dog Jaida was often called "Farty McCheese", because generally she smelled cheesy/greasy, most noticeably around her head and ears...

until we changed her diet from kibble to a diet consiting of raw meaty bones and offal. What are you feeding your dog right now?
This is not a cheesy smell; i would say more like very dirty sweat impregnated bed sheets! this smell literally wafts upwards but only intermittently; the body has absolutley no odour

i changed his food from a good quality all fish based to chicken fish egg but it is kibble
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
suzanjane suzanjane is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Look for a hot spot behind the ear from scratching, and also under the collar. My golden had a hot spot right under the collar and it was the smell that I noticed first.
none there
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
suzanjane suzanjane is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It doesn't smell like his urine, does it? Our dogs often get what we call 'potty head'. They pee on some leaves then get it on top of their heads when they sniff around after. Dogs! Whaddya gonna do?
nope; he always ends up peeing on his front legs which get washed after every walk, but even his urine doesn't seem to smell much
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
suzanjane suzanjane is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_nomad View Post
suzan when you say "no infection" has it been checked ? My dog picked up a fungal infection a couple of summers ago that I *think* she either picked up during a particularly rainy week or from the pile of seaweed she had rolled in at the beach. She stunk (weird yeast-y, cheese-y smell ).

well i can see infection if the whole body smelled; and the vet saw him and could smell the odour just on the head and not on the body; she said try food so that is why i changed it

Does his head FEEL greasy, or just smell rancid ? Dogs can have seborrhea can't they ?
its a little oily
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM
im_nomad im_nomad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanjane View Post
its a little oily
Just a little something I found on another site, food for thought:

"SEBORRHEA

A dog affected by this condition will have an unusually oily skin. If you pass your hand on a the coat of a dog affected by this disorder you will feel your hands to be very greasy. This is the origin of the problem, the dog has overactive sebaceous glands and the grease is what is giving this offensive smell. Most cases are treated by clipping the hair and applying a medicated shampoo prescribed by your vet."
__________________
Someday I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
suzanjane suzanjane is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_nomad View Post
Just a little something I found on another site, food for thought:

"SEBORRHEA

A dog affected by this condition will have an unusually oily skin. If you pass your hand on a the coat of a dog affected by this disorder you will feel your hands to be very greasy. This is the origin of the problem, the dog has overactive sebaceous glands and the grease is what is giving this offensive smell. Most cases are treated by clipping the hair and applying a medicated shampoo prescribed by your vet."
thanks i will check this; the odour seems to have abated! maybe it was the fish based food; but i will look at this seborrhea too; i bought cornmela to dry shampoo his head with too!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 8.33%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.